2007 VFR800 hugger

Kbear

1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

FWW, the last time I brought some M/C parts in to the US from the UK, there was no duty assessed.  Some internet searching will turn up the treaty that sets those and you can go find the chapter and verse and see what it says now - it may have changed.   The exchange rate and shipping though can be harsh. 

I've already discussed this subject with Harris Performance directly. The cost would be roughly $308 for that exact hugger shipped to my address in the US.

• Member Contributer

$308? It costs £85 without UK purchase tax (VAT) so roughly $112. So the rest, $196, is postage? :blink:

Have I missed something?

Even if you went for the CF, that still leaves $144 postage.

6 hours ago, Skids said:

$308? It costs £85 without UK purchase tax (VAT) so roughly $112. So the rest, $196, is postage? :blink:

Have I missed something?

Even if you went for the CF, that still leaves $144 postage.

I knew I should have saved the return email that Harris Performance sent me, but I didn't. Yep, it worked out to $307.65 USD. There's a war going on, the price of fuel has effected everyone in all industries and maybe Harris didn't want the hassle of boxing up that hugger and making sure it made it safe to the US. There can be a number of reasons why the cost is so high, but regardless that was the price they quoted. I should ask them to refigure that and I can show you. If I lived in England I would have one by now. 

Plus, it's £125 (excludes the VAT) = $163.37 for a Carbon Fibre hugger. That's the one I was going to purchase. It's £85 for an ABS hugger. Okay, I just placed another order with Harris Performance for the Carbon Fiber hugger for "VFR800 FI 02-15 (ABS & Non-ABS) Rear hugger with built-in chain guard - Carbon Fibre × 1" to find out what the shipping and total cost would be. You don't need to pay up front. They send you an email with the total cost to the US and you have the right to accept or decline it.

I looked into this as well. But, of course, it's in the UK and we all know how that turned out.

• Member Contributer
11 minutes ago, Kbear said:

I knew I should have saved the return email that Harris Performance sent me, but I didn't. Yep, it worked out to $307.65 USD. There's a war going on, the price of fuel has effected everyone in all industries and maybe Harris didn't want the hassle of boxing up that hugger and making sure it made it safe to the US. There can be a number of reasons why the cost is so high, but regardless that was the price they quoted. I should ask them to refigure that and I can show you. If I lived in England I would have one by now. 

Bugger.

On the upside, I think I may get one of those for my 2001 project.

Just now, Skids said:

Bugger.

On the upside, I think I may get one of those for my 2001 project.

Lucky you for being able to obtain one since you live in the UK. Knock yourself out.

Hey Skids just wanted to point out a few things in your signature area. Are you familiar with the term "Link rot"? I tried several links in your signature area of your post and there are a fair amount of them that no longer work. Just thought you "may" want to know? You also make reference (and links) to the "Powerbronze" huggers. I read on this forum (on posts made some years ago now) to steer clear of those. The statement was made that they're cheap and want to fall apart. The fitment was pretty poor as well. I did look at those and I wasn't that impressed with the look. So, I don't blame you for switching to a Harris Performance hugger. Sounds as though the Harris is a far better product.

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, Kbear said:

Lucky you for being able to obtain one since you live in the UK. Knock yourself out.

Hey Skids just wanted to point out a few things in your signature area. Are you familiar with the term "Link rot"? I tried several links in your signature area of your post and there are a fair amount of them that no longer work. Just thought you "may" want to know? You also make reference (and links) to the "Powerbronze" huggers. I read on this forum (on posts made some years ago now) to steer clear of those. The statement was made that they're cheap and want to fall apart. The fitment was pretty poor as well. I did look at those and I wasn't that impressed with the look. So, I don't blame you for switching to a Harris Performance hugger. Sounds as though the Harris is a far better product.

Thanks m8, I'll remove the links. :beer:

The Powerbronze hugger is on my 1200 and has been for about 6 years. There may be better quality ones out there, but it's been fine and looks ok to me. 

I hadn't thought about a hugger for my 01 so reading your posts made me think that I should get one.

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Kbear said:

Yep, that's the Harris hugger I was looking to purchase but the post-Vid expense is a little tough to swallow. $308 with a lead time of 3-4 months? Was just texting a friend about this subject and he said "just fly to England and get it". We both had a good laugh on that one. Thanks for posting!

Just double checked my order because I couldn't remember those details, lead time was 8-12wks and postage was insane then also.... 115 GBP   :blink:

Just got the email from Harris Performance this morning. Looks like it's gone down in price a bit. Now it's $305.70 USD at the time of this posting. It's still 3-4 months lead time. Like I said I guess I won't be getting a Harris hugger.

822121766_Webcapture_8-4-2022_72140_mail.google_com.thumb.jpeg.f822465ec861c65b91995707eb773bc6.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Bloody Nora! That is ridiculous for something that is not heavy.

Hadn't realised that they are just down the road from me, I might pop over sometime and see which postal service they use....buy me some shares in that fella!  :goofy:

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer

I shipped some compound bows and associated archery kit to a charity in Sacramento recently and it was less than $100 US, so I put some approximate dimensions in UPS (700x150x450mm x 5kg) and the most expensive is £77.62 or $100, the cheapest is £45

There’s no import duty to the US

EDFF2FDC-A72B-4198-AED7-3AF3BE8164AD.png

9 hours ago, Skids said:

Bloody Nora! That is ridiculous for something that is not heavy.

Hadn't realised that they are just down the road from me, I might pop over sometime and see which postal service they use....buy me some shares in that fella!  :goofy:

8 hours ago, Thumbs said:

I shipped some compound bows and associated archery kit to a charity in Sacramento recently and it was less than $100 US, so I put some approximate dimensions in UPS (700x150x450mm x 5kg) and the most expensive is £77.62 or $100, the cheapest is £45

There’s no import duty to the US

Well, you can both see what Harris Performance wants for shipping their hugger to me. Clearly, they don't want the hassle of shiping that hugger to me in the US. It's a real shame that that's the way they want to deal with the issue. Don't see that there's a lot I can do about it really.

• Member Contributer

Kbear, as you peaked my interest for my 5th Gen, I have emailed Harris to find out the delivery time to me. It will be interesting to see if they quote a shorter timescale.

On 4/10/2022 at 6:21 AM, Skids said:

Kbear, as you peaked my interest for my 5th Gen, I have emailed Harris to find out the delivery time to me. It will be interesting to see if they quote a shorter timescale.

Sure, Skids. It would be interesting to hear what they have to say. There is a difference here. The one I was looking for is for a 6th Gen. and you are asking them about a 5th Gen. so there could be a difference???? Let us know what they say. Harris Performance must be stupid busy to not want to make a sale? I'm not sure I quite get it yet.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Kbear said:

Sure, Skids. It would be interesting to hear what they have to say. There is a difference here. The one I was looking for is for a 6th Gen. and you are asking them about a 5th Gen. so there could be a difference???? Let us know what they say. Harris Performance must be stupid busy to not want to make a sale? I'm not sure I quite get it yet.

S'ok, I asked about a 6th Gen too. In CF.

• Member Contributer

@Kbear reply from Mark at Harris: "Thanks for your email but I'm afraid we don't have stock and our supplier is really busy. Please allow 3-4 months for delivery."

Disappointing.

• Member Contributer

Have you considered Skidmarx?

I've not checked lead times but they look like they carry the attachments for the brake lines.

1.jpg

• Member Contributer

Just had a chat with them, none in stock but about 21 days to manufacture.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Skids said:

Just had a chat with them, none in stock but about 21 days to manufacture.

If that’s Harris they told me the same as Kbear …. not in stock and 3-4 months 

5 hours ago, Skids said:

Have you considered Skidmarx?

I've not checked lead times but they look like they carry the attachments for the brake lines.

Yes, I did consider Skidmarx. However, it's also coming from the UK to the US so I figured shipping would be terrible so I pretty much passed it by.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Thumbs said:

If that’s Harris they told me the same as Kbear …. not in stock and 3-4 months 

No, sorry, that was Skidmarx.

• Member Contributer

The box would be a lot bigger than 700x450x150.  Those huggers are awkwardly big--and fragile, so the box would have to be quite large, methinks.  None in stock anyway, though...

Ciao,

JZH