Foam strips on Cowling

ariesblade

Hey guys,

Took me a while to notice, but i replaced the fairings on my VFR last year after a crash. But i noticed im missing the foam strips on the left and right cowling. What do you think they are for, and could someone maybe provide pictures of the placement and dimensions of the foam strips (might buy some foam adhesive to cut to size). Thanks in advance!

-Ariesblade

• Member Contributer

Hi,

I happened to be just about to put my fairings back on 🙂 I only have mats on the left hand fairing as shown.  I'm also attaching the parts fiche for these.  The triangular piece shown (part 18) is described as Mat B, Middle Cowl, 64252MT4700.  I cannot see that piece on the middle cowl (i.e. the piece in between the two side panels and in front of the downpipes) on mine however.

I think I can see the correct foam strips on your left hand fairing, so you may be good to go.  They seem to be positioned to rest against the radiator.  Not sure why they are deemed unnecessary on the right.  Perhaps it will become obvious when I refit later.

1761190499_Lefthandfairingwithmats.thumb.jpg.d072f87d1f64f78cb0a95b1c062ad476.jpg

Fairings.thumb.png.77b074a4b73fdd36d3c7d6ae49922e0a.png

• Member Contributer

I agree with Stuart above. This from my 01. Confirmed no foam on right hand panel. 

20220402_172623.jpg

• Member Contributer

Here you go

https://www.hornbach.nl/shop/SOUDAL-Soudaband-15x2-6-mm-12-mtr/10308193/artikel.html

If you are near to IJsselstein you are welcome to pick some up...   🙂

I bought a roll once for my SP2 chinesium panels,,

Added some heat reflective tape since the panels were way thinner than OEM

IMAG9564.thumb.jpg.3f3de092f7643883317a7c6b9cb525ae.jpg

• Member Contributer

Also found this video where the right hand fairing appears to have considerably more foam matting.  Might have been fitted by the owner or perhaps there are some country differences?

Oh wait. So the right hand fairing shouldnt have foam at all? Wow thats even more confusing to me 🤣 Well then i guess, apart from the triangle piece im not missing anything. Weird tho, that difference between left and right. The parts list on MSP.eu also show qty 1 for all foam strips.

@stuartb3502 Yep you are correct, they sort of seem to seal around the radiator, possibly smoothing/channeling the airflow over the radiator? Still weird to have this over one of the radiators and not both. Or could it be because that one is powered by the fan and needs more channeling of the airflow to be effective. Just speculating here

@Dutchy Might take you up on that if I'm ever near you. but according to the rest i might not be missing anything apart from the triangle. Pretty sure you are also on the VFROC, but forgot the username you use there 🙂

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, ariesblade said:

@Dutchy Might take you up on that if I'm ever near you. but according to the rest i might not be missing anything apart from the triangle. Pretty sure you are also on the VFROC, but forgot the username you use there 🙂

"748cc"

The 4th Gens exact displacement  :tongue:

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, ariesblade said:

Or could it be because that one is powered by the fan and needs more channeling of the airflow to be effective. 

I'd say that's a fair guess. The foam is probably to give at least a partial seal to the fairing. That means the fan will be drawing in more external air through the vent and less of the already hot air inside the fairing. And the air is drawn more through the radiator itself rather than around it. 

2 hours ago, stuartb3502 said:

I'd say that's a fair guess. The foam is probably to give at least a partial seal to the fairing. That means the fan will be drawing in more external air through the vent and less of the already hot air inside the fairing. And the air is drawn more through the radiator itself rather than around it. 

Yeah that hits the logic part of my brain in the right way. 😄 let's settle on that one. Cool and good to know.

Archived