F3 front end on to 3rd gen

jefferson

• Member Contributer

I found a cheap F3 that is in town and I have been looking for a 4th gen front end to swap onto my 3rd gen. From what I can gather the F3 front end is the same as the 4th gen and should bolt right on with no issues. Looking for confirmation that this is the case before I commit to the F3 front end versus a 4th gen front end.

• Member Contributer

The F3 swap was one of the first VFR forks swaps to gain popularity on the "Big List".  IIRC, it is not exactly the same as the 4th gen, the main practical difference in fitment being the mounting of the front mudguard.  You can use an F3 fender, of course, but will it match your bike?  (The F3 triples also have 5mm less offset, so I think people generally used the VFR triples.)  Good luck!

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

I compared part numbers from a 95 F3 and VFR of the same year and everything on the front end had a different part number. I think I will wait for a 4th gen front end as I wanted the lower triple also for it's lower weight.

• Member Contributer

There is not much difference between a 3rd and 4th Gen front end.  Depending on year, preload adjustable fork caps might be the biggest difference.

2016010624_PXL_20220329_1348366241.thumb.jpg.5a149e39aa107c3ecf5eb577efe4d7d5.jpg

They are pretty much the same basic cartridge fork with non adjustable rebound damping.  I have a 1990 VFR, 1995 VFR and a 1996 F3 (that I picked up for the front end and wheels) in my shop right now, and just went thru the 1990 forks.  The F3 is an actual improvement as it provides rebound damping adjustment in the caps and is a better design than the 1994 CBR600F2 style cartridge fork.

Looking at the fenders, it sure looks like they are the same too.  This is the F3.

62607505_PXL_20220329_1349057481.thumb.jpg.5c522592a8c729eefffea199bcd79cb2.jpg

804574314_PXL_20220329_134919733_MP1.thumb.jpg.cb325fb8feefbfb9edf60c28c248a036.jpg

I installed some hammered F2 Cartridge fork caps on the 1990 VFR just for preload adjustment, as I wanted the originals for another set of forks.  Rebound adjustment screws were seized and mushroomed beyond use, so they got machined down and don't affect anything.

1700105785_PXL_20220329_1347397961.thumb.jpg.de79a720316a5d6855768e9cab1a9b80.jpg

• Member Contributer

I was comparing part numbers for the tubes, wheel, discs and sliders and everything came up different between the VFR's and f3 of the same year. I know they can be different due to a color change, but it doesn't make sense to change something like that between models in the same year as it just adds to the part number and inventory count you need on hand. All to distinguish one model from the other I guess.

My 3rd gen has the preload adjustable caps. What I was after from the forks was the rock protector at the top of the slider, not so much from rocks, but bugs that dry out and take out a seal

• Member Contributer

I'm sure they tweaked the damping a bit and therefor it gets a new part number.  Fork lowers are a different color and maybe have some very small casting differences.  Same basic forks.

Even the Damper part number changes from 1990 to 1993, likely from a tweak to the shimming of the cartridge unit.

The part number changes are not just to differentiate models or the model year.  I worked at a Honda dealer for over 12 years...   if it is the EXACT same part, it retains the same part number.  But the difference can sometimes be so small, the parts are nearly indistinguishable, even from a perceived function and / or performance stand point.

• Member Contributer
38 minutes ago, jefferson said:

My 3rd gen has the preload adjustable caps. What I was after from the forks was the rock protector at the top of the slider, not so much from rocks, but bugs that dry out and take out a seal

The 1990 I am working on right now had those protectors installed without the notches in the slider to "clock" them.  They are in that picture with the caps, I forgot to put them back on!  They are even listed on the 1990 fiche.

If you grab the F3 parts, you will have nicer forks and the guards.  And if the fork tubes are rusty, you can use yours with the F3 internals.  And maybe a wheel with floating disks.  Beware:  F3 / Gen 4 wheels and discs are fragile and are often bent in some way. 

• Member Contributer

Those adjustable preload caps fit on a ton of bikes. I put a set on my CB-1 years ago. 

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

The part number changes are not just to differentiate models or the model year.  I worked at a Honda dealer for over 12 years...   if it is the EXACT same part, it retains the same part number.  But the difference can sometimes be so small, the parts are nearly indistinguishable, even from a perceived function and / or performance stand point.

Interesting comment Mike; I mistakenly purchased some 6th gen intake rubbers from Partzilla (had a brain fart, actually wanted them for my 86 VFR!) and when I was working on my new 5th gen, I checked and the parts share identical appearance and dimensions but the p/nos are different. 

I have found that the Showa 20mm damper cartridges in everything from the ST1100, ST1300, VTR1000F, CBR600F4i and VFR800 5G share common shaft, tube and piston diameters. The thread on the shaft and caps is also the same. The cartridge tubes can vary in the position of the top-out springs and that affects the extended fork length. The fixed bleed paths are a little different on some e.g. the hollow bolts used in the compression base on some, but a small diameter shim to keep the main shims slightly clear of the valve face on others. 

• Member Contributer
On 3/29/2022 at 3:45 PM, Captain 80s said:

There is not much difference between a 3rd and 4th Gen front end.  Depending on year, preload adjustable fork caps might be the biggest difference.

2016010624_PXL_20220329_1348366241.thumb.jpg.5a149e39aa107c3ecf5eb577efe4d7d5.jpg

They are pretty much the same basic cartridge fork with non adjustable rebound damping.  I have a 1990 VFR, 1995 VFR and a 1996 F3 (that I picked up for the front end and wheels) in my shop right now, and just went thru the 1990 forks.  The F3 is an actual improvement as it provides rebound damping adjustment in the caps and is a better design than the 1994 CBR600F2 style cartridge fork.

Looking at the fenders, it sure looks like they are the same too.  This is the F3.

62607505_PXL_20220329_1349057481.thumb.jpg.5c522592a8c729eefffea199bcd79cb2.jpg

The 3rd gen did not come with fork protectors.  I owned my '90 from new, and still have a '93.  No fork protectors!

I think the issue with the VFR fender on the F3 forks is with the location of the rear lugs in relation to the fender.  I never did the F3 swap, but I recall that the popular solution was to make some little brackets to hold it steady.

I also think F3 forks may be longer than 3rd gen forks.  Not a problem--the forks just stick out more above the bars.

Checking part numbers is admirable, but doesn't always give you all of the relevant information.  People used to do that swap.  

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Well it looks like a moot point as the guy won't even respond on faceplant. Ad is still up and I have messaged several times. I hate inconsiderate jerks like that. At least I have some good info for the future.

Archived