Help With Tyre Suggestions Please

Skids

• Member Contributer

Gotta love a tyre thread - let’s get stuck in! 

Agree with Mohawk and others who say any modern tyre will be just fine. Tyre tech has come a loooong way in the past decade and we live in a golden age! 

Having said that, a pair costs about the same whatever you buy so may as well get the biggest bang for your buck. Here’s my very amateur opinion: 

I HATED the Dunlop 207 and consider them lethal. Then I tried the Dunlop Roadsmart and they were a revelation. Best tyre I’d ever had. 

When the Dunlop’s were toast I tried the Metzeler Z8 - best tyre I’d ever had again. Even better than the Roadsmarts but it could have been psychological as I was going from a used tyre to a new one. Still love the Metzelers though: wet or dry they stick like glue. 

Both tyres have seen commuting, weekend scratching with the boys and track days. I was astonished how well these touring tyres could handle race conditions! 

Here’s the Metzeler Z8 after a session at Donnington Park last month in the Middle group. My XJR kept up with modern litre bikes running quickshifters, slipper clutches, tyre warmers and slicks. On touring rubber that’s old and squared off!!!!

72F67A44-0C20-43C7-8E00-32F0031E31D8.thumb.jpeg.24179f377e142e3344899d6ad4690370.jpeg

Of course both tyres have limitations and on really hot days the rears both gave me a little skid on track. Just enough to pucker up my bum hole! But it shows how far tyres have come that touring rubber can mix it with slicks.  

Had a chat with the tyre tech on track at Mallory Park (4 weeks ago - what a brilliant track!) who said I should try Bridgestone S22 next as loads of club racers use them. Apparently they take a bit longer to warm up than touring rubber but stick like sh!t to a blanket in the fast bits. I’ve no experience (or affiliation) but might give them a go. 

Although the Metzeler 01 and M9 are also very tempting... Also the Michelin Road Pilot 6 and Power...and Dunlop Qualifier...and...and...

• Member Contributer

One thing about Avon tyres: the tyre tech told me they need bigger weights to balance because they’re not as precisely manufactured as the bigger brands. 

If you’re one of those bikers who doesn’t use wheel weights then you may want to steer clear of Avon. 

• Member Contributer

One more thing: 

I’d been reading up on tyre pressures and heat for track days and when I came off each session I’d put my bare hand on the tyre to check temperature. 

Tyres were cold each time, even when I jumped off in the pit lane right after my fastest session. Dead cold. 

Tyre tech told me touring rubber is designed to warm up quick but stay quite cool in all weather as it deals with a wide range of conditions. 

Track rubber is designed for a much narrower temperature range and is designed to get really hot with speed. 

This is why track tyres are lethal when cold - they haven’t reached operating temperature until you’ve tortured them. Touring tyres are fine from the get go but tend to get slippery when worked hard in the heat. 

The gap between street and track rubber has narrowed greatly over the years though. 

Archived