Help finding oil leak

stubbs

• Member Contributer

Waiting for the result like everyone else!

Also back to contemplating spending $300 next month on oil cooler lines and coating them, this stuff reminds me of stuff that can go wrong 😂

• Member Contributer

If you have a Mityvac or similar vacuum pump (I use mine on brake fluid changes) that also works to pull oil out of the sump.  This past winter I used it to pull the power steering fluid out of the reservoir on my truck - works great.  Look on Amazon for some silicone tubing - it's far more flexible and does not hold a shape like the vinyl tubing that is more typically available. 

my syringe was too small to suck enough volume through the tubing I had, so I just pulled the drain plug for a few seconds to get the level down to where it should be. Didn't leak after a 15 mile ride yesterday even overfilled, so I'm hoping it'll stay tight and dry at the right level now. I did run it particularly hard on the day it wound up leaking in the garage, so maybe hitting the rev limiter with the sump too full is what did it. 

Still dry and clean. Chalking it up to a learning experience -- don't overfill oil (which I never did) and drain excess ASAP (which I didn't), fortunately with little consequence beyond making me get the front of this engine cleaner than it's been in the past decade. 🙂 

Archived