Are you changing riding plans because of higher gas prices?

• Member Contributer

I'm curious what people's thoughts are about plans for riding, particularly long trips, with the cost of fuel roughly doubling vs two years ago.  Cutting back, staying about the same or balls out - ride it in to the ground before they take gas away completely.  And if you're not cutting back, where do prices need to get to make you do that?   What do ya'll think?

• Member Contributer

Thanks to Vlad the assassin! We are now paying on average $2.00 a litre! Record prices! While I might consider conservative car use, I will never let fuel prices come between my VFR and a nice ride. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I usually do dozens of track days with driving, bike fuel and hotels, along with mountain trips w/trailering, and local riding. I expect it'll be cheaper for me to go shooting than riding in 2022. Still, I'm going to try to manage if crazy Joe doesn't completely grenade my retirement fund.... 

• Member Contributer

Well, for a multi-day trip the current price of gasoline will have zero impact on my plans - thought not on my wallet, unfortunately. For instance, on my 3500 mile / 13 day trip to Laguna Seca in 2019 fuel cost $307, meals another $450, and motels (split 2 ways) were $710. So fuel was about 25% of my trip costs. Mind you, even 3 years ago my average cost was $3.78/gallon - California commands a high price for motoring 😉, but oh the roads...

Otoh, prices of everything else will be higher, too. So for those on a tight budget it would make more sense to consider a shorter trip than to cancel altogether. 

• Member Contributer

No changes planned! It is hobby, lifestyle, stress relief, sex on wheels, and, and, and. There are way more expensive hobbies than this. Maybe I will drink less beer, or maybe more! 

If this is the only price to pay to get rid of a dictator, I am in. Unfortunately,  a lot of people in the oil business get rich on this at the same time.

• Member Contributer
17 minutes ago, Wald said:

No changes planned! It is hobby, lifestyle, stress relief, sex on wheels, and, and, and. There are way more expensive hobbies than this. Maybe I will drink less beer, or maybe more! 

If this is the only price to pay to get rid of a dictator, I am in. Unfortunately,  a lot of people in the oil business get rich on this at the same time.

True, now a lot of money being made.  But, for a while in 2020 when driving went to nothing around April / May, the price of oil (not gas) went negative!  There was so much excess oil and no place to store it, that producers had to pay people to take it from them!   So I guess they figure they'll try to get back even.  Oil is a tough business. With the all out assault now on the industry I don't think we'll ever return to cheap gas as we've had at times in the past. 

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

True, now a lot of money being made.  But, for a while in 2020 when driving went to nothing around April / May, the price of oil (not gas) went negative!  There was so much excess oil and no place to store it, that producers had to pay people to take it from them!   So I guess they figure they'll try to get back even.  Oil is a tough business. With the all out assault now on the industry I don't think we'll ever return to cheap gas as we've had at times in the past. 

Unfortunately,  you are correct!

• Member Contributer

It's now hitting over £1.70 per litre here, that's £7.73 per UK gallon, £6.41 per US gallon, or $8.33 per US gallon.

Shan't stop me riding my VFR's though! :beer:

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Grum said:

Thanks to Vlad the assassin! We are now paying on average $2.00 a litre! Record prices! While I might consider conservative car use, I will never let fuel prices come between my VFR and a nice ride. :fing02:

Grum, 

That pricing is truly awful - if I did my conversion correctly, here it seems to be about $1.15 / L to as high as $1.60 /L depending on location and type - diesel seems to be running toward the to higher end of that  (trucking is going off the charts,  so that may contribute to the latter).  

The lefty Great Reset crowd is LOVING this.  Biden’s energy secretary openly laughed when asked about how high gas prices are hurting average people - responded that "we should all be driving electric cars".  George Soros and his evil crowd are also laughing - all the way to the bank.  Create or make a crisis worse while the masses suffer from it, then pick their pockets by force.  Beware the Great Reset,  it's poised to ruin our lives.  

• Member Contributer

We have even higher price: I live about middle Finland 

98E  2,56€ / liter

Diesel 2,58€ / liter

And still rising higher, estimate to rise almost 3,00€ / litre

Lapland has all ready 98E almost 3,00€ /litre

Summer car ride's will be short if price not dropping. I will ride vfr as much i need..

• Member Contributer

Twice the price, half the rides. The rich continue as usual, only growing fatter faster these days..

• Member Contributer

Even Pinky & the Brain couldn't have destroyed the world in the time it has taken our trifecta. 

Have a week of riding planned for june. 1l is currently €,250 and who know how much it will be in three months. But whatever the cost of fuel i don't think it will keep me from going.

When I got married two years ago I knew that I'd need to find room in the garage for Maria's car when we we're ready to buy. We began our search last October before Putin's invasion of the Ukraine. A gallon of gas in Texas was right at $3/gallon. Now its touching $4/gallon. 

The idea was that when we bought Maria's car I'd sell my bike. There isn't room enough in the garage for two cars and a bike. I don't care to park outside the garage. It can encourage theft and/or criminal mischief. Now that gasoline is so much higher the idea to sell the VFR is out of the question. Regardless of how expensive gas is it will be less expensive to ride the VFR to and from work.

I may have found a way to have all three in the garage if I can park the bike perpendicular in front of the car then close the garage door. We have not taken delivery of the car but once we do it'll be the first on the to do list. 

If not then one of the cars most likely my Accord will be parked outside the garage while the VFR takes an honored space inside.  

• Member Contributer

Possibly a center stand dolly could help roll the bike around for easy parking.  Also,  a chock on the floor could aid in parking the car precisely each time to maximize space for the bike.   Where there's a will there's a way!   :smile:

• Member Contributer

Granted, this part of the garage is wider than a normal one, but plenty of room for diagonal bikes in between. 

689896843_20220313_1331461.thumb.jpg.55dab5ec03ec3b8485aeda332372d876.jpg

• Member Contributer
49 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

Possibly a center stand dolly could help roll the bike around for easy parking.  Also,  a chock on the floor could aid in parking the car precisely each time to maximize space for the bike.   Where there's a will there's a way!   :smile:

Harbor Freight has s side stand dolly for $129 or so. Yes, if there is a will,  there is a way!

No, high gas prices won't keep me from the trips I have planned for this year.  Nor from riding in general, including SE Ohio days and other long days on the bike.  If that means I need to reduce spending in other areas of everyday life to keep enjoying one of my few passions, so be it.  I'd also be willing to sell a couple small items of value to finance my trips this year.  But hopefully it won't come to that.

• Member Contributer
On 3/14/2022 at 1:45 PM, TimC said:

I'd also be willing to sell a couple small items of value to finance my trips this year.  But hopefully it won't come to that.

image.png.d291233d467517243b8b38220085a87c.png

😎

Considering folks are still waiting in line to buy $70,000 SUV’s and over bidding on overpriced housing I don’t think fuel has become expensive enough to make the average american change a thing.   

Archived