How many is too many ?

• Member Contributer

Sold one of my 4th gens last year. It is a really nice one, almost perfect bodywork, Staintune, Helis, RR and wiring, Sargent, Y2K mirrors, etc. 26k miles.

Old guy only put 200 miles on it and now wants to sell, preferring his cb1100.

The urge is strong, but who really needs 3 4th gens ?........

• Member Contributer

Now this is coming from somebody who has too many bikes, many duplicates.  3 VF1000R and 4 1986 VFRs for example.  "Too many" is very subjective, but space is probably the biggest factor.

My duplicates have different levels of modification and use.   Take the VF1000Rs: one very nice low mile 86, one fully restored 85 with updated suspension and full exhaust, and one 86 with front end swap and wide 17" wheels for modern radials.  They all are very different, but very cool for what they are.  The RestoMod 86 I can thrash, the 85 is show n go.  The original 86 is....  well just cool and was the first 1000R I bought YEARS ago and will stay almost completely stock.

The 86 VFRs are a very similar story.  86 750 rain bike, VERY nice 86 700FII Pearl White light mod, The "RC26" with suspension / wheel swap, and then my next build in process, full RestoMod VFR700 with suspension / wheel swap but with original bodywork.    

Currently working on a 3rd Gen.  It's not a a keeper, but the next one I find will be.  I have a very nice 4th Gen and it is a keeper.  Wouldn't mind another to mod.

So...   I guess I was the wrong person to answer to get you down from the ledge.   

• Member Contributer

I would say, beyond garage space as Captain mentions, and obviously how much money you have available to commit, it's mechanical skill and, most important (IMHO) how much will you ride them all?

I certainly won't dis those who own garage queens, I have stared for hours at a bike in my possession while consuming many IPA's. But don't buy a bike you won't ride regularly, or too many bikes to ride regularly.

• Member Contributer

I ride the majority of my "modern" bikes regularly.  I try to rotate them so consumables don't bury me at once.  Some bikes take a season "vacation" with their carbs drained.

Sometimes I walk down to the shop and I think I'm an idiot.  Probably.  Likely.  Then sometimes I walk down and I think I'm a genius.  And then I crack another IPA and stare at my new "favorite" bike.  Usually the one on the lift.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, slo1 said:

The urge is strong, but who really needs 3 4th gens ?.......

I do! Unfortunately,  Utah is little too far to pick it up. Speaking of  MBD, I  am trying to convince my self not to buy a 3rd bike, will see how it goes. A 5th gen or a Superhawk are in the running (fuel injection vs. Giant carbs)

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Sometimes I walk down to the shop and I think I'm an idiot.  Probably.  Likely.  Then sometimes I walk down and I think I'm a genius.  And then I crack another IPA and stare at my new "favorite" bike.  Usually the one on the lift.

Well said!  Prost to this!

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

The 86 VFRs are a very similar story.  86 750 rain bike, VERY nice

Rain bike! This is "genius" , exactly the reasoning I needed!  Thank you ! ...and it also can be used when dry.

• Member Contributer
On 3/11/2022 at 3:49 PM, St. Stephen said:

I have stared for hours at a bike in my possession while consuming many IPA's.

23 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Then sometimes I walk down and I think I'm a genius.  And then I crack another IPA and stare at my new "favorite" bike. 

Seeing a common thread here..........

OK, back to the "extra" 4th Gen - whatever suits you I have 5~6 bikes at any given time!

20201223_174719.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 3/11/2022 at 9:47 AM, Captain 80s said:

My duplicates have different levels of modification and use.  

Same here. Now have "Mostly Stock", "Medium Built", and "Tyga 1" which I am babysitting for a friend.

22076358_96mostlystock(3)b.thumb.jpg.61bdfae35518a0c36cd604aec1e54043.jpg406688516_Mediumbuild.thumb.jpg.7db54eb17a124b6dd0c730e59cd4be03.jpg1048057295_Tyga1.thumb.jpg.a0817f910dfb664e5e58d48cec0c5b0e.jpg

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, slo1 said:

Same here. Now have "Mostly Stock", "Medium Built", and "Tyga 1" which I am babysitting for a friend.

22076358_96mostlystock(3)b.thumb.jpg.61bdfae35518a0c36cd604aec1e54043.jpg406688516_Mediumbuild.thumb.jpg.7db54eb17a124b6dd0c730e59cd4be03.jpg1048057295_Tyga1.thumb.jpg.a0817f910dfb664e5e58d48cec0c5b0e.jpg

You need to tell us about the wheel modification on the 3rd bike down.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, jefferson said:

You need to tell us about the wheel modification on the 3rd bike down.

Tyga supplied vfr400 PVM wheels. 5" rear and 3.5" front. Front is straight bolt on, rear is mounted on a modified nt650 (Hawk GT) spindle. Lots of other bits and bobs :)

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, BlackHole said:

Ohhh, I might know this bike... was it purchased from Art or Brian?

Probably not, but which one ? All three have been with me for many years, but 2 went away for a bit only to find their way back home 😉 

On 3/11/2022 at 10:55 PM, Wald said:

Rain bike! This is "genius" , exactly the reasoning I needed!  Thank you ! ...and it also can be used when dry.

A few decades ago, a friend had a "rain bike", but it was a Chevy Beretta.

No wonder I can't find a clean 4th gen anywhere! 🤣 

I kid. My lineup right now is:

ZRX1100 for standard, stripped down-ish style

7th gen VFR for comfortable days with luggage (someone sell me a top box)

3rd gen torn apart for some attention

The only reason I have a 3rd gen is because I wanted a 4th, but a ratty '93 came across my path for a song like a decade ago when I was broke and wanting to ride. TBR left exit sounds too good to let it go. 

Too many is probably when they start getting neglected. Not gonna lie, I'd rather have a 3rd, 4th, and 5th gen than three 4th gens. 

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, VFRJake said:

Too many is probably when they start getting neglected. Not gonna lie, I'd rather have a 3rd, 4th, and 5th gen than three 4th gens. 

I had 4th, 5th, and 6th at one point. Decided to get down to 1, so rode them back to back up to the local ski resort and back. Between fun to ride and enjoying looking at, the 4th gen won. Sold the other 2.

The 5th gen came back home 2 years later, so a couple 4ths and a 5th now. To keep from cracking the plastic on the vfr's when doing dirt roads, I have the TracerGT as well.

Retirement is looming, so hopefully they won't get neglected ;)

• Member Contributer
On 3/17/2022 at 10:36 AM, VFRJake said:

a ratty '93 came across my path for a song...

Yep, that's how my Budget Street Fighter got started - gonna pick it up soon from a friends house and start working on it again...

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Just installed a new garage door opener with a camera and app that tells me when someone opens the door. Took the beast for a hot-lap. Replaced a bad light fixture. Cleaned the garage. Had a few beers in the process. All 5 bikes need an oil change, then back to the BUDGET street fighter. Also looking at picking up a 5th Gen... Running out of excuses...:laughing6-hehe:

20220522_165437.jpg

20220522_174005.jpg

Yep, certainly understand the too many premise.

(1) 2016 KTM RC390 stock

(1) 2015 Kawasaki KLR650 (Candy Lime Green OEM paint scheme) stock

(1) 2007 VFR800 VTEC 25th anniversary edition (RWB OEM paint scheme) stock

(1) 2002 Kawasaki ZX9R Ninja (Candy Gold Spark OEM paint scheme) stock

(1) 1989 Honda XL600V Transalp (Pearl Crystal White OEM paint scheme) stock

(1) 1983 Yamaha XV920MK Midnight Special Virago (Midnight Black OEM paint scheme) full Yamaha dress

• Member Contributer

I am an analyst. It's all about the data. The correct formula to evaluate the optimum number of bikes is-

Optimum number of bikes in garage = M + 1

M = # of bikes currently in the garage

I only have 3 right now.  😢  

• Member Contributer

Always wanted a 928, but it will never be!

Archived