New to the VFR world

15 hours ago, Sparkie said:

Your operating temp seems low to me.  174°f?

Stuck open thermostat?

Good morning,

174F was open road cruising speed on a 70F low humidity day. I have checked the radiator hoses and can feel the upstream hose of the thermostat get hot while the downstream hose staying cool. Once the thermostat opens, I can feel the downstream hose get hot. I initially thought about a stuck thermostat, but everything checks out, including fan operation. Coolant level is correct, I plan on doing a coolant change soon.

Thank you for the reply.

10 hours ago, Grum said:

I certainly know of one other 8gen that suffered from this and it was caused by a dirty bad batch of fuel picked up from a remote outback town. It required a fuel pump replacement, however you'd expect replacing the fuel filter would have done the trick.

If you can do the fuel pressure test, and having a Pass in Pressure and Flow, that should at least then eliminate the fuel pump or filter as the cause.

Still think a good inspection under the tank area and the airbox removed to check all vacuum hoses and good electrical connections to IAT, MAP and TPS, perhapsa little Ox-Gard applied to their electrical contacts. Issues with these sensors would normally (but not always!) induce an Fi fault code.

Water condensation and or bad fuel can cause your issue, however I think you've covered this situation.

Otherwise, given the lengthy period of no use, you may be looking at having the injectors professionally cleaned and flow balanced. Blocked or poor performing injectors won't be detected by the ECM as a fault code.

Starter Valve synch has been suggested for your idle issue but poorly adjusted Starter Valves shouldn't effect your wider throttle opening operation. But, you are now saying your idle is stable!, that is strange!

Whilst not for any other reason than to eliminate any strange effect, I wouldn't hesitate in fitting a new set of standard Iridium spark plugs NGK  IMR9D-9H's, see if that helps. If that doesn't change anything you can always reuse your old plugs in the future.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Good morning,

I am in the process of acquiring a fuel pressure gauge and connections, will report back.

I will check everything under the tank.

I am confident any water issue that may have been in the tank has been corrected.

The day the idle issue mostly went away, I cold started the bike and literally heard the erratic idle fade away. I was blown away and thought my problem was solved, I quickly geared up and went for a ride. I could not believe when i was immediately presented with the bogging/surging issue.

I actually ordered a set of the NGK plugs you mentioned yesterday. I will report back when installed.

Would a bad ignition coil throw a fault code?

Thank you.

8 hours ago, bmart said:

Sure sounds like fuel to me too, having fought this in multiple vehicles. 

Good morning,

I am thinking a fuel issue as well. If the fuel pressure checks out, and the spark plugs do not correct it, I think I will remove the fuel injectors for a clean.

Thank you for your reply.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, SingleCylinderLife said:

Would a bad ignition coil throw a fault code?

No not on a 2014 model, after 2016 Yes.

On 3/17/2022 at 7:26 AM, Grum said:

No not on a 2014 model, after 2016 Yes.

Howdy all,

Since I received the plugs before I could figure out what fuel pressure tester and connections to buy, I installed the plugs. I had no anticipation that it would solve anything. To my amazement, the new spark plugs fixed both the original erratic idling and the the bogging/surging issues. The bike runs like new, which it should with 1,400 miles on the odometer. The plugs I pulled out are Denso VNH27ZB. I can not find anywhere these plugs are recommended for the 8TH gen VFR800F.

On Denso's official site, there is not an application for the 8th gen VFR800F. What is the deal with the Denso plugs, has anybody had these plugs in there bikes from the factory?

Warm Regards

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, SingleCylinderLife said:

Howdy all,

Since I received the plugs before I could figure out what fuel pressure tester and connections to buy, I installed the plugs. I had no anticipation that it would solve anything. To my amazement, the new spark plugs fixed both the original erratic idling and the the bogging/surging issues. The bike runs like new, which it should with 1,400 miles on the odometer. The plugs I pulled out are Denso VNH27ZB. I can not find anywhere these plugs are recommended for the 8TH gen VFR800F.

On Denso's official site, there is not an application for the 8th gen VFR800F. What is the deal with the Denso plugs, has anybody had these plugs in there bikes from the factory?

Warm Regards

Great news the Spark Plugs were the fix.

The Denso VNH27ZB are most certainly the correct Denso plugs for the 8gen as specified in the Service Manual. The NGK's are the way to go and according to NGK have a design life of 100,000miles!

The OEM's on my 2014 8gen were the NGK's, which I replaced for no reason at 60,000k's. I do recall my 6gens had Denso's fitted as OEM.

Plugs can cause strange happenings!

Enjoy the 8gen its a great ride.

Cheers:fing02:

Spark.JPG

5 hours ago, Grum said:

Great news the Spark Plugs were the fix.

The Denso VNH27ZB are most certainly the correct Denso plugs for the 8gen as specified in the Service Manual. The NGK's are the way to go and according to NGK have a design life of 100,000miles!

The OEM's on my 2014 8gen were the NGK's, which I replaced for no reason at 60,000k's. I do recall my 6gens had Denso's fitted as OEM.

Plugs can cause strange happenings!

Enjoy the 8gen its a great ride.

Cheers:fing02:

Spark.JPG

I always use NGK plugs, and after this, I will absolutely only use their plugs. I plan on testing these plugs by first cleaning, heating them up in the oven and taking an ohm reading. As soon as the wind quits blowing 25mph here, I plan on taking a nice long ride.

Thanks to everybody for the help, especially the suggestion of changing the plugs.

• Member Contributer

SCL:  Ahhh, so it wasn't a bent fork afterall!  😉  Glad she's up n runnin' like she should!  As per the 25mph💨 wind, go on now, git out there and practice!  💪

Here in New Mexico, we judge wind strength by tumbleweeds.  A tumbleweed "alert" means tumbleweeds 2 - 4 ft in diameter.  A tumbleweed "warning" is for 6 - 8 ft diameter.  😉😁

15 hours ago, 3rdbike said:

SCL:  Ahhh, so it wasn't a bent fork afterall!  😉  Glad she's up n runnin' like she should!  As per the 25mph💨 wind, go on now, git out there and practice!  💪

Here in New Mexico, we judge wind strength by tumbleweeds.  A tumbleweed "alert" means tumbleweeds 2 - 4 ft in diameter.  A tumbleweed "warning" is for 6 - 8 ft diameter.  😉😁

Yeah, you should have seen me with a laser level trying to check the fork, LOL JK! I just got back from putting 37 miles on it and am very happy to report she is running and sounding great (Arrow can without baffle). I am near Galveston, Tx. and the wind gets pretty nasty at times. I believe it was New Mexico that I was passing through on the way to California 35 years ago and actually saw some tumbleweeds blowing by LOL! The town reminded me of a place that was built to test atom bombs, There was not a person in sight, only tumbleweeds!

• Member Contributer

You should start or move this to a "single" thread. Others may post up, including me. 

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, bmart said:

You should start or move this to a "single" thread. Others may post up, including me. 

Moved and deleted.  😎

Archived