Michelin tire price hike!

Grum

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Cogswell said:

So, I ordered a set of PR2s from the same ebay seller on  Walmart for $205 delivered.   The Pilot Powers on my spare wheels are mid  2014 date codes so have to go.  I'll report on the upcoming PR2's dates when they arrive. 

Just saw this video/article on another site - "debunking the tire age myth" - interesting, I didn't realize manufacturers had listed 'stale dates'... 

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/debunking-the-tire-age-myth?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=02/19/2022_CT_Generic_CommonTread_Campaign&utm_term=Common Tread | Combined

• Member Contributer
On 3/12/2022 at 7:31 PM, Grum said:

Sounds amazingly cheap Cogs, grab em while ya can!

So the new PR2s arrived. Ground shipping (included in price) was 4 days via Fedex.  Both made in Spain (same as previous sets), front date code is 0521 and rear is 4819. Not quite garden fresh,  but I'm good with it.  Oddly my last set from this vendor were both 2020 manufacture so no telling how stock is is being rotated. Regardless, for $205 ( via Walmart online) at my door for the set,  I can afford to change them out a bit more often.  

20220319_083659.jpg

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Cogswell said:

So the new PR2s arrived. Ground shipping (included in price) was 4 days via Fedex.  Both made in Spain (same as previous sets), front date code is 0521 and rear is 4819. Not quite garden fresh,  but I'm good with it.  Oddly my last set from this vendor were both 2020 manufacture so no telling how stock is is being rotated. Regardless, for $205 ( via Walmart online) at my door for the set,  I can afford to change them out a bit more often.  

20220319_083659.jpg

Bloody hell!! $205usd = $276aud thats still over $100 cheaper for the pair than what I paid for a Road 6 rear fitted! You guys are spoilt or we are just ripped off. Great deal Cogs.

Given the manufacture date 21 and 19 wonder if they are end of line stock, not that its of any concern, kept in the dark they'll be fine for a few more years.:fing02:

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Grum said:

Bloody hell!! $205usd = $276aud thats still over $100 cheaper for the pair than what I paid for a Road 6 rear fitted! You guys are spoilt or we are just ripped off. Great deal Cogs.

Given the manufacture date 21 and 19 wonder if they are end of line stock, not that its of any concern, kept in the dark they'll be fine for a few more years.:fing02:

We're spoiled . . . !!  Believe me, we are.  For all the bashing of America, everyone here has it pretty darn good and most don't even know it.    Hard to figure why such price and availability disparity . . . It must seem so good to be true that I attached the invoice.  I wish it could be shared around,  but shipping is prohibitive.   Anyway,  hard to know about end of stock.  If seems this vendor still has them available. If through year end they still have them, depending on how much I ride this year  I may snag on one more set to put away before they're gone for good. 

20220319_201621.jpg

• Member Contributer

Just received my new PR2's from the ebay listing for $233 including tax & delivery - date codes at 2121 and 4020 (front - rear). Works for me! Looking forward to getting them on

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, adkfinn said:

Just received my new PR2's from the ebay listing for $233 including tax & delivery - date codes at 2121 and 4020 (front - rear). Works for me! Looking forward to getting them on

That's interesting on the date codes.  I wondered when going through Walmart for $15 less than ebay if that somehow relates to how much Walmart charges the Vendor vs Ebay, or if they sell their older inventory on Walmart for a bit less and newer on ebay.  I'm thinking maybe the latter.  Regardless, what I got is fine - they'll be worn out before they go stale. 

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I just received a set of these. I ordered them from Walmart for $229 plus tax, delivery included.

My date codes are front 4120, rear 0521.

• Member Contributer
30 minutes ago, motormike said:

I just received a set of these. I ordered them from Walmart for $229 plus tax, delivery included.

My date codes are front 4120, rear 0521.

That's up $14 since I got mine there in March - still, a steal.  I hope to God Michelin keeps making PR2's - my all time favorite tire.  I gotta get on it and wear mine out so I can buy some new ones! 

I had no idea you could buy motorcycle tires from Walmart online.  I usually get tires from Iron Pony in Columbus, OH, or online elsewhere, but now I'll have to remember this option.  Thank for the tip!  👍

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, TimC said:

I had no idea you could buy motorcycle tires from Walmart online.  I usually get tires from Iron Pony in Columbus, OH, or online elsewhere, but now I'll have to remember this option.  Thank for the tip!  👍

For full disclosure, they're not sold by Walmart - see my invoice, above.  But that's ok.  That vendor was on Amazon but left there and moved to Walmart.  They're also on ebay, but the price point there is a bit higher maybe due to higher seller fees on ebay.  But, it makes me wonder if the newer date codes are on ebay and the older ones on Walmart.  No way of knowing. 

• Member Contributer

I wouldn't think newer on ebay and older on Walmart. It's the same guy selling tires through multiple channels.  I was just going to order some Pilot Road 4 or 5 or whatever number they are on (I haven't bought tires in a while), until I saw this thread. I thought I'd give it a whirl and see what shows up.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, motormike said:

I think I bought the last set. There may have been a single front and rear.

:sad:

Always hopeful, I'll chalk it up to supply chain issues -  maybe they just need to get more in. 

• Member Contributer
On 3/9/2022 at 5:31 PM, Grum said:

Just fitted a new 180/55/17 rear tire a Michelin Road 6 at the cost of $389AU. My last rear a Pilot Road 2 was exactly $130 cheaper.:pissed:

I was told that there have been two recent price increases somehow connected with covid issues!! 

Seems like Michelin are pricing themselves out of the market.

Clearly, I'm late to this thread but thought I'd pass along the Canadian perspective. And I can relate to the huge cost disparity between US and everywhere else. 

I've been a Michelin fan since my first set of Michelin Pilot Sport more than 22 years ago and a couple weeks ago I had a set of PR5 installed. They cost C$209 & C$269 (AU$295) before tax & install. 

It's been awhile since I last had non-Michelins; my '09 VTec's oe tires were D207(possibly D204!) and for the next set I tried a set of Pirelli Angel ST. Calling them rim protectors may be a bit harsh, but the third set of tires were Pilot Power 3 which transformed the VFR. 

Lastly, while the Pilot Power/Power RS feel even better than Pilot Roads, their lesser mileage isn't worth it to me.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Lorne said:

Clearly, I'm late to this thread but thought I'd pass along the Canadian perspective. And I can relate to the huge cost disparity between US and everywhere else. 

I've been a Michelin fan since my first set of Michelin Pilot Sport more than 22 years ago and a couple weeks ago I had a set of PR5 installed. They cost C$209 & C$269 (AU$295) before tax & install. 

It's been awhile since I last had non-Michelins; my '09 VTec's oe tires were D207(possibly D204!) and for the next set I tried a set of Pirelli Angel ST. Calling them rim protectors may be a bit harsh, but the third set of tires were Pilot Power 3 which transformed the VFR. 

Lastly, while the Pilot Power/Power RS feel even better than Pilot Roads, their lesser mileage isn't worth it to me.

From my records, PR5 in June 2019:  MRSP was C$397.95 and actual retail price was C$250 for the rear; MRSP C$309.95 and actual retail price was C$191 for the front; Both purchased from a dealership in Edmonton, Canada. No tax or fitting included. Online price may or may not have been less. Given the incredible price rise for everything under the Covid excuse the new prices that you paid are not too bad.

• Member Contributer

I found the Walmart vendor on ebay still, but just the PR2 180's - $115 US.  It says "more than 10 available".   But no fronts . . . Fingers crossed that they get more and they remain available. 

Archived