Saving a buck on a chain?

Kiwiwannafly

Twas time for a new chain cause the old one was pretty knackered and making funny clicking sounds.  But being the tight arse that I am, I thought saving a few bucks on a chain should tide me over. And a "DID 530 O ring" chain from China seemed to fit the budget. Note at this stage the sprockets were both looking pretty tidy - symmetrical, no sign of hooking or wear.

From day 1:

New Chinese "DID" (yeah right!) chain required adjustment at about 50km. Not a typo. 50.

Required re-adjustment at about 200km and intervals of about 200km ever since.

Required lubrication (like chain was rusting and squeaking) at about 500km, and similar intervals ever since.

Ran out of adjustment, so shortened chain by 2 links (I know - serious alarm bells)

So at about 5000km it is completely rooted & time for a genuine DID 530 VX3.  Rear sprocket is well chewed now especially near the tips of each tooth - they are up for replacement too.

As a comparison I put the Chinese "DID" next to the new genuine DID.  And guess what? They measured exactly the same length.  Except the old Chinese DID was 106 links (108 minus the 2 I cut off) and the genuine DID was 110 (not cut to 108 yet).  That's a 4 LINK STRETCH!!! Master link pins were as loose as (expletive censored). O rings were visibly sloppy around the pins too. Permanently greased - pfft!

Moral of the story - just don't.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32880942533.html?spm=a2g0o.ams_97944.0.0.2356v5Yvv5Yv3z&pdp_ext_f={"ship_from":"CN","sku_id":"12000027369291254"}&scm=1007.26694.140541.0&scm_id=1007.26694.140541.0&scm-url=1007.26694.140541.0&pvid=7602e4d3-7d19-4f77-ba10-da44bf9867d9&fromRankId=11751190&_t=fromRankId:11751190

Photo 1 - follow the links

Photo 2 - side flex between Chinese DID and new genuine.

PS - Don't need lecturing. This is a cautionary tale - not one I need tutoring on.

IMG_20220221_183904.jpg

IMG_20220221_183349.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for sharing what must have been a painful lesson.

If one person, somewhere in the world, can learn from this then it will make you feel just a little better. :beer:

Thanks for sharing that experience.  I'm just glad the thing didn't break while you were riding.  I was afraid reading the 'preview' first few sentences on the homepage it was going to be much worse.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for sharing Kiwi. Those bastards should be sued for using the DID name. Also in the pictures of the chain on their website the side plates are displaying Japan DID, absolute False advertising. Shall never purchase a Chinese chain.

• Member Contributer

Knock offs are  unfortunately far too common these days.  China has little inclination to enforce property rights,  brands, trademarks, etc.  The internet has provided an avenue to peddle fake goods worldwide.  If a deal seems too good to be true . . . 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 3:57 AM, Cogswell said:

Knock offs are  unfortunately far too common these days.  China has little inclination to enforce property rights,  brands, trademarks, etc.  The internet has provided an avenue to peddle fake goods worldwide.  If a deal seems too good to be true . . . 

My daughter has two pairs of sunglasses.  The Raybans are pretty good, the Roybins hmm....not so good.

Archived