If you truly love something, let it go...

Yokel

• Member Contributer

...if it comes back to you, that's how you know.

Queue "Reunited" by Peaches and Herb.

I AM GETTING MY 2010 VFR1200F back.

I lost my job in 2017 and was forced to sell my VFR1200.  Since then, I've moved cross country 4 times, bought/sold about 8 bikes looking for the VFR1200 fizz without success.  I'll be damned, I saw a FB Marketplace post from the guy that bought it off of me.  I rang him up (always keep those numbers!) and am getting her back.  He's only 6 hours away.

He's put about 7k miles on in the last 5 years, and appears to have taken reasonable care.

I'm excited to get it back home this weekend and get the plastics peeled off to take stock in what needs to be done.

• Member Contributer

Awesome! I owned my last CB-1 twice. It was a bit of fun going through the old logs and seeing the changes from first to second time. I enjoyed getting it back to ~100%. 

• Member Contributer

Congrats!  I did the exact same 18 months ago.  Sold my 2002 in 2011 when I moved overseas, bought it back when it popped up on Cycletrader in 2020, two months before I returned to SoCal.

Glad yours was taken care of, mine required some resurrection 😁

• Member Contributer
57 minutes ago, ShipFixer said:

Congrats!  I did the exact same 18 months ago.  Sold my 2002 in 2011 when I moved overseas, bought it back when it popped up on Cycletrader in 2020, two months before I returned to SoCal.

Glad yours was taken care of, mine required some resurrection 😁

I'm pretty jazzed, thanks!

Well, we shall see... I just got *all* the fluids and crush washers I can think I might need... I'm curious what the inspection will show.  I'm sure it needs plugs, valve check, air filter, going to have the forks re-done and likely re-valved... It's 11.5 years old at this point.  I'm sure some deeper things need a look.

• Member Contributer

Hey Yokel, welcome back!

I have a dim memory of bumping into you nine or 10 years ago somewhere in the midwest. Northern Arkansas maybe? Anyway, very cool that you got your old bike back. Amazing how much we miss those bikes we sell off, the minute they leave the garage.

• Member Contributer

Congratulations on getting re-united. Some bikes just fit, for me it is the 5th gen 800, and I am SO happy to have bought another. 

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

Hey Yokel, welcome back!

I have a dim memory of bumping into you nine or 10 years ago somewhere in the midwest. Northern Arkansas maybe? Anyway, very cool that you got your old bike back. Amazing how much we miss those bikes we sell off, the minute they leave the garage.

Yeah, I used to haunt NW Arkansas a fair bit, ran around with a bunch of folks.  Then, wound up in HispanicSlammer's neighborhood for 7 years.  Now I'm about 3 hours from Deal's Gap.

Not a bad runaround. 🙂

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, TimC said:

Congrats on getting your 7th gen. back!  Hopefully it won't need much work, but it sounds like you're prepared for just about anything you find.  :fing02:

Thanks Tim!

I'm pretty much super jazzed and looking forward to getting it undressed and seeing how she fares.  

• Member Contributer

Well... I got her home.

This story continues to get interesting... He's actually only put eight HUNDRED miles on the bike since he bought it from me in June of 2018.

That creates some other concerns, primarily around the fact that all the fluids are 4 years old, and the gas may show itself to be problematic.  I'm not seeing any evidence in the tank of trouble as yet, and the bike runs/moves, but a closer look is warranted.

The paint will need a polish.  A big polish.  It's covered in crap/dust.

All the fluids need to be stirred and come out.

One of the panniers has developed a crack, probably from a moving truck.  Looks like something heavy was set down on top of it and it has a small split.

I need to check the typical spots for mice, and clean electrical contacts on some sticky switches, and spend some time really inspecting this bike.  Hopefully being fairly unused for the last 4 years hasn't done too much harm.

20220219_111000.jpg

20220219_110953.jpg

20220220_190916.jpg

20220220_190907.jpg

• Member Contributer

Well, congrats on having found a job after losing it in 2017 too!

I lost mine in 2016 and not until September 2020 secured a new one...  (didnot sell any of my bikes though....  🙂 )

I would not worry about the fluids being 4 years old, just replace them. Load test the battery, check the ryres for dry cracks and ride het like you stole her! :wheel:

Archived