Lil project

So I found a 3rd gen a couple years ago on craigslist Wisconsin, and purchased it, from a couple of shared pictures. No keys, no title, and an attempt at resurrecting/registering the title at some point but no follow through from p.o. . What I was told, 'The bike has been in the back of my body shop, covered with dust for what I'm assuming is a VERY VERY VERY long time, I've forgotten it's been that long.'  So I paid the man. I made plans to take a month off, bring my wife, my o.g. 3rd gen, pick up the bike, and stop to ride at various locations on the way there and back.  We were set. Right around  that time, my wife was notified she'd need to stay because a fellow employee found out she had health issues that needed immediate attention. The bike sat for 2 more years. Between my work, her work, and keeping busy with family, I finally had time to schedule a pick up and drop off this last December. I rubbed my eyes at the odometer, 20,444 miles. Looks at though it was dropped on both sides as the rider pegs broken off of both sides, small scrapes on lower fairings not broken, but scraped, o.g. vfr grips still in tact, a dash plastic,  missing bar end missing. Other than that she is stock, clean, complete. am still working on her once or twice a week in small increments. I ordered tires Monday last week, and they showed yesterday. Upon inspection of the tires on the bike, i find these dates both Bridgestone BT050, and new still with the rubbers nubbins on them. Knowing that, i have no reason to believe that these aren't actual miles. I'm shocked. More later. 

3EC41676-EC8C-47F7-9A52-617624547315.jpeg

FFF07BED-93AC-400A-969B-1CE43FDE29F8.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Sounds like a true barn find.  If you have a red 3rd gen with white wheels, that would be a 1990.  Date codes or no, just looking at those tires they look like they're hard as bricks.  We just had someone else with one of these and found the fuel tank to be pretty crusty.  I hope yours is in better shape.  JMO, but with so few 3rd gens around now, I'm guessing many were sacrificed for their rear wheel.  It's nice to see the ones that remain loved on and ressurected! 

I'm trying to rebuild the stable. I had the 3rd gen bug since 2006 when i rode my friends. At one point had 13 of them. 90,91,92&93's respectively, and set them all up the same. Tank was super clean inside. I will take more pictures as time allows. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, 3rdgenred said:

I'm trying to rebuild the stable. I had the 3rd gen bug since 2006 when i rode my friends. At one point had 13 of them. 90,91,92&93's respectively, and set them all up the same. Tank was super clean inside. I will take more pictures as time allows. 

I can't recall the last time I saw a G3 for sale - C/L, FB, ebay, Cycle Trader . . .  It would be intetesting to know how many survive.  

Archived