Powercommander V maps - 2002-2005 vs 2006-2009

ryeguyVFR

Question

I am trying to find out some info regarding the use of these maps.

I am riding a 2009 vfr800 with snorkel mod, pair mod, flapper mod, k&n filter, delkevic exhaust, power commander V

I have been following HeroRR on youtube for mods and how to videos. He has 2003 VFR800 with those same mods. He went a had his bike dyno tuned and he was kind enough to share his map to the world.

I have used the basic maps from dynojet and ive used HeroRR's map and found his to be excellent. Here's the question:

Does running a map designed for 2002-2005 model year bad for my bike in any way - should I stop using it and only use maps designed for the 2006-2009 model years. I understand that both bikes have the same engines, except they have some tweaks in the vtec.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. For anyone reading this who has a 2006-2009 model year and have some maps you enjoy please let me know.

7 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Do you have any before & after dyno charts with AFR of the PC maps you're using? Either on your bike or HeroRR? You should be ok, but should do dyno-tune at some point to verify AFR.

My track-only CBR600RR from that era with extensive mods and was dyno-tuned with PC. Interestingly enough, all the fuel-correction were minor, +/-5% max, mostly none. Honda did extremely good job tuning. Main benefits came from advancing ignition-timing couple degrees for use with race-gas only.

2DBBA8A0-AB3C-4F90-BB46-9291631BC504.thumb.jpeg.2f302e7901d1bfb5216bf67e4c97d0a9.jpeg

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, ryeguyVFR said:

I am trying to find out some info regarding the use of these maps.

I am riding a 2009 vfr800 with snorkel mod, pair mod, flapper mod, k&n filter, delkevic exhaust, power commander V

I have been following HeroRR on youtube for mods and how to videos. He has 2003 VFR800 with those same mods. He went a had his bike dyno tuned and he was kind enough to share his map to the world.

I have used the basic maps from dynojet and ive used HeroRR's map and found his to be excellent. Here's the question:

Does running a map designed for 2002-2005 model year bad for my bike in any way - should I stop using it and only use maps designed for the 2006-2009 model years. I understand that both bikes have the same engines, except they have some tweaks in the vtec.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. For anyone reading this who has a 2006-2009 model year and have some maps you enjoy please let me know.

VTECH hits at a different RPM on the two bikes.  I'm surprised your bike has a smooth delivery in that 6k to 7k range using a custom map for the older bike.   I'm betting the bike goes a little leaner when your VTEC hits and goes a little richer when the map thinks it should be hitting, even if you don't notice it.  If you like it, run it.

• Member Contributer

My recollection of the differences between the model years (02-05 vs. 06-09) is VTEC on/off RPM changed and a change in fuel injectors. I believe that the FI units have a better spray pattern on later models.

Just go to the download section and download the correct map or go to dynojet downloads for your year and try a couple different maps with your mods and see which one you prefer.  You will therefore remove the Vtech hit  in the correct rpm range with the correct map and install a 2006 R6 ie 1/6 Throttle tube which makes a world of difference.  520 chain and sprockets 15/45 work well. Future upgrades ie header work velocity stacks work best with ignition advance ie Rapid Bike Racing.  If you want to go fast buy a different bike.  Trust me the weight of the bike is the issue.  By the time you add it all up a old 600 will still be faster.  I still love my VFR800 but even after upgrading suspension exhaust computer etc it is what it is.  Its a comfortable bike with some kick. Just wish I could get some lightweight wheels for it without going through all the trouble of a swingarm conversion. I owns several bikes  VFR750 86, 05 RC51, 21 RRR and 02 800 and have learned a lot from all of them.  

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

My recollection of the differences between the model years (02-05 vs. 06-09) is VTEC on/off RPM changed and a change in fuel injectors. I believe that the FI units have a better spray pattern on later models.

I rented a 2005 in NZ and it was one of the worst motorcycle experiences I've ever had. If I had bought the insurance, I'd have made it disappear. It is a big part of why I didn't buy one until years later. VTEC is stupid on a motorcycle and Honda of all people should know better on what was known as a perfect smooth delivery ST bike. 

• Member Contributer
On 2/11/2022 at 11:40 PM, bmart said:

I rented a 2005 in NZ and it was one of the worst motorcycle experiences I've ever had. If I had bought the insurance, I'd have made it disappear. It is a big part of why I didn't buy one until years later. VTEC is stupid on a motorcycle and Honda of all people should know better on what was known as a perfect smooth delivery ST bike. 

Sadly, emissions regs sounded that death knell.

Latest models of VTEC engines are much, much better than the early models.

Thank you all for the replies.

Always nice to hear from others own experiences. Thank you!

I love the bike and I love the vtec. I don't think I will ever sell this bike. My first bike, r6 2nd gsxr 600. They were both fun at the time and served their purpose of going fast.

The vfr feels almost as fast for a heavy bike, yet my passenger is more comfortable and so am I (heli bar mod eventually will really seal the deal). Not to mention I can carry plenty of luggage with ease. The looks are exceptional too. On par with the gsxr which was beautiful. The vfr sound wayyyy better though with the delkevic exhaust and that v4 engine. Sooo good. Rc51 good.

The heroRR map probably gives me some crappy fuel economy but it does make it fun to weave in and out of traffic and she pulls hard up to 200km/hr with ease. Plenty fast enough for highway fun. 

When you're full throttle do the milliseconds from 6400-6800 really have that much effect? That happens really fast. So long as im not doing any damage to the engine im happy. I will browse this forum and try and some other maps. Usually when I'm on the highway and going full throttle the bike feels good. I tried the default maps from dynojet and they had a smoother vtec hit but the bike definitely didn't feel as fast or responsive. I actually kind of like the more aggressive vtec hit.

Happy trails

20220215_074517.jpg

Archived