MotoGP 2022 Predictions

StrayCat2

• Member Contributer

Maverick seems to be proving the universal truth that going fast isn't "the bike."

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, StrayCat2 said:

Sad to see that Suzuki is throwing in the towel at the end of 2022.    That makes Mir and Rins available for the market, should throw a king sized wrench into silly season.

I think the following Riders should be worried about their seats in 2023: Pol Espargaro, Alex Marques, T Nakagami, Miguel Olivera, Darryn Binder, Andrea Dovi (probably retire anyway) , Fanky Morbidelli (has a contract to end of 23, but may get relegated to satellite team), Maverick Vinales.

Seems Fabio may end up staying at Yamaha after all

my bet is Mir at Repsol Honda to replace Pol

Rins to Aprilia to replace Maverick ?

Not fast Suzuki

"Dorna Sports has officially contacted the factory in order to remind them that the conditions of their contract to race in MotoGP™ do not allow for them to take this decision unilaterally."

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2022/05/03/statement-from-dorna-sports-regarding-suzuki/419795

12 hours ago, Tirso said:

Not fast Suzuki

"Dorna Sports has officially contacted the factory in order to remind them that the conditions of their contract to race in MotoGP™ do not allow for them to take this decision unilaterally."

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2022/05/03/statement-from-dorna-sports-regarding-suzuki/419795

yea I saw that too but they will be gone in some form.  There is a chance that an independent team may take over the Suzuki bike and crew for a year, but one way or another Suzuki factory is telling Dorna they want out.  Its not the first time Suzuki have taken a leave of absence from MotoGP due to $ issues

• Member Contributer

Re DORNA's reminder: the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-RR became the "Hayate" ZX-RR in 2009 for that very reason.

I read on motomatters.com that Suzuki had just signed a new 5-year contract with DORNA in December 2021--which would mean that Suzuki is legally on the hook for four more seasons after this one...

Ciao,

JZH

Interesting.   That may mean (like Kawasaki), they are legally obligated to supply bikes for the grid, but not field a sponsored team or indeed further develop the GSXRR past 2022.

Unless, possibly Aprilia is willing to buy out that contract to field a satellite team in 2023.

Time will tell, but I bet Rins and Mir will be signing new contracts with another constructor ASAP.  If there are Suzuki bikes on the grid next year it will be the likes of Alex Marques, Taka Nakagami, Vinales, Pol Espargaro etc that will be riding them.

Archived