MotoGP 2022 Predictions

StrayCat2

So, we're on the eve of another new season with MotoGP.   The first year in a long long time without Rossi (yes I'm a huge Rossi fan).  What predictions do ya'll have for this year given how the initial testes have gone.

Ill Start:

Fabio Q will not successfully defend his title -  I like Fabio, but, 1) I dont think Yamaha will have brought enough to the fight, others seemed to have upped their game even more, and I think Other riders will begin to shine a bit brighter this year.  Fabio will jump ship if the Yamaha's speed prevents him from winning (as we have all heard in the media rumours )

Franco Morbidelli - I like Franky, level headed guy, but I still think he'll have limited success this year on the Yamaha.  Id have more confidence in Fabio and Franco if I thought Yamaha were able to bring something meaningful to the party.   Seems Yamaha are so set in their practice of small refinements and evolution approach that the likes of Honda and Ducati, will easily leave them behind if their big(ger) changes pay off.

Pecco B - I think he'll perform very well and stands a reasonable chance of winning it all this season.   He'll either win it or be runner up again.  Mentally he seems to be very strong and now that he's had the taste of success, he'll get even stronger.

Marc Marques -  I dont like Mark, at all, but its hard to deny that he's probably the most talented rider ever to throw a leg over a Motogp bike.  This year he will either win the title again or will end up hurting himself and not finished the season.   now dont get me wrong, despite not liking Mark, I have no wish to see anyone injured what so ever, I just think his issues with arm/shoulder/eye makes him very vulnerable in his many falls. He's now got 3 serious injuries that could be aggravated in a fall.   I dont expect him to tame it down at all, thats just not who he is.

Joan Mir - If the Suzuki has made the steps that it looks like it has potentially made,  I think he could be up there in the top 2 or 3 each race, Like to see him regain the crown actually.  If the Suzuki shits the bed on the performance front, he'll jump ship for sure.  I think he's one of a few guys who could be super successful on the right bike.

Alex Rins - More of the same inconsistency I think- He will not be at Suzuki much longer

Jack Miller - Jack will also be inconsistent, I dont think he will match his team mate again this year, his days at Ducati are numbered and I see Enea the beast or Jorge Martin stealing a factory seat in the near future

Mav Vianles -I think we'll see a few glimmers of brilliance from Maverick, but I dont expect any major threats to the title chase.   I think his teammate will outshine him as usual.  Maverick will always be mentally fragile, a trait which doesnt help him in MotoGP

Enea the beast - Will amaze us again on a year old Ducati, and I think he'll podium more than he did last year, Id really like to see him win one or two races this year - maybe even get himself a factory ride or move to Pramac if Martin jumps to the factory team.   If he gets that qually performance figured out, he will put the cat amongst the pigeons for sure.

Alex Marques & Taka - I dont expect much form either of them, despite Taka having a sports Psycologist this year. 

Dovi will continue to struggle on the Yamaha and will retire this year after a very unremarkable season.  Id like to see him do well, but I dont think he will.

D Binder - Dont expect he'll adapt too quickly to the MotoGP class, definitely wont be rookie of the year

KTM Factory Team - Brad Binder & Miguel Olivera - Much the same as last year I fear.  I like the both of them, Just wish they could play at the sharp end a bit more, but I dont think they will

Rookie of the year will be Fabio Di Gia 

Zarco - I dont see any material change year over year for Joan, always close, but not close enough.

Jorge Martin - I think Jorge will win a race or two for sure, I think he also stands a very good chance of displacing Jack Miller for that Ducati Factory seat - along with Mir I think Martin has a chance to be a regular front runner in Motogp, talented rider, not sure i like the guy a whole lot from what little ive seen of his persona on TV, but he can ride a bike.

Pol Espargaro - will continue to struggle on the Honda and be out shone my Marc - Pol will be jettisoned by Honda by year end, and likely replaced by Mir

Aleix Espargaro - will out perform his team mate, and will podium again for Aprilia

VR46 team - A difficult year ahead for the VR46 boys I think Marco and Luca will be unremarkable and will spend alot of time towards the back of the grid

• Member Contributer

Too...many...words. lol (really, thank you)

I think Ducati will dominate the top ten. I'd love to see Miller take a title. Fabio won't do it unless they make significant changes to the Yamaha. And no one else seems to be fast enough on it (yet). Pol is rockin' it, and Marquez is likely to be out of some/all races with injury. He explores the limits with remarkable luck...until he doesn't. I would also love to see Olivera take the title. That guy is awesome when they give him a bike. Maverick will find more to bitch about. Luca is an engineer brain, so he could get some wins. I think more than just Rossi leaving, this is a seachange year...and I can't wait. 

1238723758531.jpg.89241ff664a8e2e2909dd8b4cb242e08.jpg

• Member Contributer

Ducati will have the best bike. Ducati will have eight riders of the 22 on the grid. All the Ducati riders will beat each other, allowing Fabio to score enough points to win another title!

That's one scenario anyway.  😎

bmart, I assume you have compared that Rossi photo to sfdownhill's image.

• Member Contributer

I have a feeling the battles will be with MM and the Ducati's and a few "wild cards" thrown in here and there. I anticipate that Raul Fernandez to find a podium or two, at least that's what my gut says.

I think the Feb 19 test is Moto 2 and Moto 3 only.   I wish we got the Moto2 & 3 race broadcasts here in Canada but for the last 2 years we only got MotoGP, which at the end of the day, im glad we get it at all, its always touch and go if we're getting TV coverage.

• Member Contributer

I hate paying for anything. I'm cheap. I'll tell you what I did. I bought GP streaming. Other friends bought WSBK, MotoAmerica, etc. And we share logins. Much cheaper and they all keep a bunch of fans. I also discovered a lot of other series in various countries, and most stream for free. 

Unfortunately I live in the far north and our internet is Cellular based.   Not sure if you know about cellular rates in Canada but 135 Gig / month costs $400.   Its absolute madness and robbery

• Member Contributer

Starlink will be here eventually. Have you looked into that? Maybe being a tester for it? 

• Member Contributer
Wanted to share a couple of things:

Bagnaia vs Marquez in Aragon | 2021
The last three laps of this battle!

The 2021 MotoGP Championship on Amazon Prime
MotoGP Unlimited Trailer
"Prime Video today announced that the new docuseries about the MotoGP World Championship, MotoGP Unlimited, will launch exclusively on Prime Video in France, Italy, Spain, and more than 170 countries and territories worldwide - including the UK and U.S. on March 14. Produced by THE MEDIAPRO STUDIO in collaboration with Dorna, the series’ eight, 50-minute episodes will follow a number of MotoGP’s premier-class stars, including riders and team managers from the world’s top teams.

The series will feature riders such as the 2021 champion Fabio Quartararo (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP), the icon Valentino Rossi (Petronas Yamaha SRT) in his last MotoGP season, Marc Márquez (Repsol Honda), Francesco “Pecco” Bagnaia (Ducati Lenovo Team MotoGP), Johann Zarco (Ducati Pramac Racing), Maverick Viñales (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini), and the 2020 champion, Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar), along with several team directors."

• Member Contributer

What's good:  We still have a handful of guys with a win or crash mentality.  It makes the races more interesting.  

What's bad:  They aren't usually at the front, but when they are, they take your favorite rider out with them... Which still makes it more interesting overall, but not to you because your favorite rider is now on the back of a scooter with big puffy shoulders and a dirty booty.

What's good:  Honda, Ducati, Yamaha, Suzuki, KTM, Aprilia will all be on the grid.

What's bad: Only Honda and Ducati are consistently fast and the other four need extraordinary riding to stay near the front for an entire race.  I expect it to be similar this year.

What's good:  Young talent.

What's bad:  The old guard have retired, or like in Dovi's case, are on bikes that can probably be matched by some WSBK machines. 

Who's going to win it?  No clue.  The one thing about young talent, new teams, new machines, new technology, etc. is that things change from week to week.  I don't think Marquez will run away with it like he has when he's been healthy, so that should make for another season that we don't know for sure who's going to win until the last race or three.  That's the way it should be!

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Tirso said:
Bagnaia vs Marquez in Aragon | 2021
The last three laps of this battle!

That was superb. I watch no other sports than motorcycle racing. I've never understood how people prefer paying millions to guys who run, throw and catch...

Marquez all the way.  It seems he is healthy and has a bike that won't highside him anymore. He mite not be 2019 Marquez but Ducati has never been consistent enough at all the track while he is.  Ducati had their chance with Dovi in 2020 and blew it.  Last year they blew it also with Peco.  Must be the Stoner curse.  Honda all the way.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, bmart said:

That was superb. I watch no other sports than motorcycle racing. I've never understood how people prefer paying millions to guys who run, throw and catch...

guy-martin-football-quote.jpg.74250c25cd8720bfa07f6b427c1ca5f6.jpg

On 2/16/2022 at 3:56 PM, bmart said:

Starlink will be here eventually. Have you looked into that? Maybe being a tester for it? 

yea, ive been on the list for a year already.   was supposed to get it by December 2021, but the silicon chip shortage has put us back a year apparently.   Then recently all the Starlink satellites have been falling-out of orbit, so that wont help the wait.

Marques will either win it all or bin it all.  He says he's a changed man, but IDK if he can switch off that high risk riding approach.   Marc and the new Honda seem to both be in good shape just now.  if he stays healthy, he will win the championship, otherwise he'll end up retiring through injury again.

Im cheering for Pecco or Mir (long shot) -   since Vale is gone, im using this season to pick a new favourite rider....it WONT be Marc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I vote for Martin winning it.

And Marquez isn't the greatest MotoGP talent ever - Casey Stoner is.  No one else had the natural talent to set track records on his first five laps on several different tracks.  Astounding.  

Stop loved Casey Stoner but Marc Marquez is a phenom.  Won the championship in his rookie year.  Most points in 2019 won the championship and constructor championship by himself.  ETC.  Marc was more consistent 2013 2014 2016 2017 2018 2019 Valentino has 2 championship but  were attained on a500's ie 00 and 01 Marc has one less championship.  I put my money on a Honda this year both Marc and Pol look strong on the new bike.  Honda has not tapped into the full potential of the new bike.    Any other rider would not of come back to MotoGp if he went through what Marc did. 

• Member Contributer

I don't know. I can think of many examples where "these people" do all kinds of incredible things. Mick doohan comes to mind. 

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/motorcycles/motogp/motogps-greatest-comeback

• Member Contributer

Back on topic...  Who ever saw Bastianini and Binder taking it by almost four seconds over Marquez?  Qatar is always an odd race, but it's clear we haven't yet seen the return of the MM of old.  Should be an interesting season!

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

People praise MM, and he is a marvel, but I don't think he has the same adaptability skills that some others have had/have. He'll get there on the new machine, but it might take a few races, hopefully with his taking less risks and with Pol to rely on for some second person data. 

• 1 month later...

Sad to see that Suzuki is throwing in the towel at the end of 2022.    That makes Mir and Rins available for the market, should throw a king sized wrench into silly season.

I think the following Riders should be worried about their seats in 2023: Pol Espargaro, Alex Marques, T Nakagami, Miguel Olivera, Darryn Binder, Andrea Dovi (probably retire anyway) , Fanky Morbidelli (has a contract to end of 23, but may get relegated to satellite team), Maverick Vinales.

Seems Fabio may end up staying at Yamaha after all

my bet is Mir at Repsol Honda to replace Pol

Rins to Aprilia to replace Maverick ?

Archived