VFR 800 2002 Lowering?

Graham1981

Question

Hi Guys and Girls,

Im looking for some advice... Im abit short at 5 foot 7 and when im on the bike I have to be on tippy toes if i have both feet down...

I would like to ask for your advice on either lowering the bike and the effects it has on handling on the VFR 800 specifically, I have read about also lowering the front if you lower the rear but again im worried about handling, advice from someone who has done it themselves would be great!

The other option is having the seat shaved or buying a lowered seat, can anyone recommend someone local to me in Sheffield, UK where I could get that done.

I have already bought a lowering kit, but if enough people tell me it'll mess with the handling too much then I will return it.

I absolutely love my bike, I just would like to be able to put both feet down at lights.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks for your time 😃

IMG_1111.jpeg

6 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

My recommendation would be to get a different seat. My 4th Gen (97) came with an extra Corbin seat which is really comfortable to sit on, it is over 1" thinner but being 6' 1" it is too low for me.

• Member Contributer

Can the 6th Gen suspension plates be flipped around for lowering like the 5th Gen ones can?  If so, I'd do that and raise the forks in the triple clamp by similar amount.... stock handling will be preserved.

• Member Contributer

There used to be a vendor for shorter dogbone links to reduce the rear height the right way.  May still be a thing out there.

• Member Contributer

You can get your seat altered to your personal requirements by Sussex Motorcycles @ https://www.sussexmotorcycles.com/elite-comfort-motorcycle-seats.html

I had mine done there, talked over exactly what I wanted just before they did the work and had it back in a couple of days

• Member Contributer

I just restored my 5th gen back to a more suitable height, it had been lowered by a previous lady owner. I'm also 5'7" but for whatever reason don't have an issue with taller bikes. My 5th gen had the rotated triangle plates, a Nitron length-adjustable shock set to its shortest, and the forks slid through the triples by 10mm or so. The handling was absolutely fine, my only real gripe was a lack of ground clearance when ridden "assertively". The bike also had a shortened sidestand as it would have sat scarily vertical otherwise. It was also a beast to get up onto the centrestand as one had to lift the bike up a long way. 

Archived