Keeping a bike in a different state, USA

• Member Contributer

I live in Massachusetts but am considering getting a bike that I will store in Wisconsin at a house we own.  Has anyone done this?  I live full time in MA but I’m assuming it would be plated, taxed, insured in WI?

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure how else you would inspect it. 

I have one of our car plates that goes back and forth every 6 months from the regular wagon to the track day wagon. I save a year of insurance every year and it costs ~20 to move the tag/plate each time. 

• Member Contributer

Since your address is in MA, why not maintain ownership there?  Is there some advantage to have it plated, etc. in WI? You are allowed to "travel" from MA to WI, get my drift.

• Member Contributer

If MA requires an annual safety inspection, then you might need to register it in WS. 

We have no safety inspections required on motorcycles in Utah, so a few have bikes in different states and renew the registration by mail/internet.

• Member Contributer

Yes, MA costs more in every respect plus you have inspections here. Haven’t lived in WI in ten years but no inspections then for motorcycles. 

And slo is right, wouldn’t be able to inspect it if it were registered in MA, didn’t even occur to me. 

Archived