Age check in

tomb393

I saw a topic in another forum titled "how many older people ride a VFR?" I think the better question is how many younger people ride a VFR? I wouldn't be surprised if the average age of a VFR owner is about 50. I've always considered a VFR owner to be a typical middle age Daredevil such as myself🤪

I'm 58 going on 16

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Funny you ask, I was just about to ask the same question when one of the threads went to gen X, gen Z and Millennials. 

58!

30 years on bikes with a 10 year break (2010-2020) Still have the itch to go from A to B as fast as possible with as many twisties in-between as possible! Attached is the definition of generations according to the internet.

SmartSelect_20220202-222637_Chrome.jpg

• Member Contributer

Gen X'er here. I'll be 56 in April, started riding when I saw around 14-15 and got my motorcycle license at 16 and been pretty much riding ever since. Had a few moments when riding wasn't high on the priority list but that has typically been few and far between. Last few years I did a lot of track riding and really enjoyed the lack of other vehicle types on the road creating road hazards. Right now the 09 is my main vehicle for work and my 01 my play/track bike but I have on occasions taken the 09 on the track, does pretty well even in "touring" shape.

• Member Contributer

61, but I know there's older on here! Started riding at 27. Bikes in order are Kawasaki EX500, CBR600 and VFR750 4th gen. I owned a Suzuki DR350SE a couple of times (the same one) but currently without.

We moved out of the city 13 years ago to the Kootenays. I'm just a fair weather rider now but it's more smiles per mile.

• Member Contributer

BabyBoomer here...

Owned the 4th gen since 1997 till this day, with a gap of some 3 years.

The original redslut

herfst2_zps8c5c12e1.thumb.jpg.2b803a7d91eac01bc5f55d7ab3cb23d2.jpg.e6fb8c53f3c447b583de61fdd01dd5f8.jpg

1997-2016

Her demure sister

20210411_160651.thumb.jpg.00623298fbee93c8094ac1bfd909abf6.jpg

Couldnot resist another CF highmount.... 🙂

20220206_184223.thumb.jpg.3aa7193a763aa4a0ecccebf7912762b4.jpg

• Member Contributer

Coming up to 72 on March 1..... the lyric "someday I'll be 18 going on 55.."  Bwaaaahhaaa half you aren't even there yet, lol.

• Member Contributer
29 minutes ago, raYzerman said:

Coming up to 72 on March 1..... the lyric "someday I'll be 18 going on 55.."  Bwaaaahhaaa half you aren't even there yet, lol.

18 'til I die, that's the plan!

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Couldnot resist another CF highmount.... 🙂

Sweet! How about a sound clip of the bike?

I've been ridng since I 1st strapped a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine on a bicycle age 10. That was after I made a 3 wheel chopper that was half Schwinn Stingray with ape hangers and 2x4's with go kart wheels with L brackets for footpegs. I was a 9 year old easy rider🤪

I must say I’m a very excited new owner! Makes the most amount of sense in my life right now.
Not a  full touring sled, and not an uncomfortable supersport. 
My last bikes were 09 R1 and an 02 RC51.

I’m ready to comfortably put the wife on the back and still have a sporty ride!

If that isn’t grown up I don’t know what I’ve got to do. Lol

• Member Contributer

Bought my 2nd VFR this summer, a 2015 Deluxe.  1st VFR was a 99, loved it enough to come back and buy one of these classics again.  I'm 68, started on a Cushman Hilander in 1967.  So this makes 55 years now, I'm still practicing.  Someday...I'm gonna get good.  👨‍🦳

• Member Contributer

Double nickel here, 55. Didn't start riding until early 30's though. Hoping to keep riding to my 70's at least, my '99 VFR will always be in the garage and get a regular workout.

• Member Contributer

72 here also. Been riding since I was 14, with a 2 1/2 year break with a stint in the Army. Have never been without a bike since that break, usually

have at least 2, but down to just the Interceptor now...and the wife's Spyder. I bought the Interceptor when it was less than a year old in 2000, and

have had it every since. That gear drive song is just to intoxicating to ever let go.

I sold my '86 FJ1200 about 4 years ago after owning it from new. I worked in the Yamaha shop at the time, and put the thing together and took it

for a test ride. Bought it on the spot. One of the best bikes ever, and rode it coast to coast, and north to south.

19 hours ago, tomb393 said:

I've been ridng since I 1st strapped a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine on a bicycle age 10. That was after I made a 3 wheel chopper that was half Schwinn Stingray with ape hangers and 2x4's with go kart wheels with L brackets for footpegs. I was a 9 year old easy rider🤪

Speaking of Briggs and Stratton...

BS.thumb.jpeg.dc94eec53c9bdadf5d25b6e0c7dd5500.jpeg

My latest do all bike the CB500X with a little extra. I'm 63 next month and after chasing a couple of young guns on 900 triples around Little Switzerland last fall, I decided this thing sounds like a lawn mower. But its an angry lawn mower at least!

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

'86 FJ1200

Lovely bike. I owned an '86, '90, '93. 

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Wald said:

Sweet! How about a sound clip of the bike?

one day, BOS will follow..

For now, the "Akra"will have to do

https://youtu.be/h5MXLetl7OM

And the VF with OEM pipes

And the SP2 for kicks....

(filmed behind glass..)

• Member Contributer

I'm a young 57, started riding in 1982 and bought my first V4 in 1984, a spanking new VF500F. I've been lucky enough to have ridden more or less continually since then. 

vfr700f3.jpg

I bought my old 6th gen. at age 37, and sold it at age 51.  Most years I averaged 8-9k miles on it, though there were two seasons several years ago where I only averaged 1,500 per year.  Thankfully I got my mojo back a few years ago!

I loved my VFR, but my body started to protest during long days and trips, with my knees and neck aching due to the VFR's sporty ergonomics.  Lower foot pegs and bar risers would have helped, but after 14 wonderful years I was really just ready for something else.  (Not that I was ever bored with my VFR.)  My current bike's ergos are still somewhat sporty, but a bit relaxed compared to the VFR.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Terry said:

I'm a young 57, started riding in 1982 and bought my first V4 in 1984, a spanking new VF500F. I've been lucky enough to have ridden more or less continually since then. 

vfr700f3.jpg

Ha, same timing here. Got my driver's license in August 82 and bought the first bike 4 weeks later. Have only a non digital  picture of the bike, it was a 79 Suzi GT250  7 in blue.

Archived