Telemetry data

• Member Contributer

Hey guys, Last year I did my first track day and totally fell in love with it. I've seen videos where guys have all of their telemetry data but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how they are doing it.

I have found all kinds of articles regarding equipment that gets this kind of information but when I try to look into buying one the links are old and outdated. Brain one, PUSH, (etc.) don't seem to be around anymore and I don't see any particularly great mobile apps that would give me this information either. I think there is a way to do it with a GoPro but I'm not sure how to do it or if it will provide me the data I am looking for:

• Lean Angle
  • Speed
  • RPM
  • Throttle
  • Brake (This is a nice to have I'd be thrilled with a G-meter as well)

Is anyone here doing this that might be able to throw me a bone on how to get started?

Huge thanks to anyone who can give me a push in the right direction!

• Member Contributer

Some bikes come with some of it. Others buy equipment like AIM Solo. One of our coaches uses a system with our students. 

• Member Contributer

I found this as well. I just don't know what I would need to make it work (Other than a GoPro) and I'm still trying to figure out if it will give me what I am looking for (Lean angle, etc..)

https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/

Still looking!

• Member Contributer

Oh man.... Bingo. 

Lean Angle, Speed Gas and brake, lap times, and even a track map. THIS is what I want to get together. it's $99. Now the bigger question... Can the VFR deliver this to the unit? the Go Pro itself should be able to get me the speed, lean angle G-meter and laptimes... I'm guessing the EFI will provide what I need for the throttle... 

image.png

• Member Contributer

Could always build your own.  I would look at the world of drone FPV stuff and internet of things sensors.  Maybe get everything you need from a drone controller board as-is, including sending data to an onboard GoPro.  You can get things that do the same an IMU does and more on the cheap.

In grad school one of my professors had a side business tuning bikes with accelerometers and whatnot.  I want to say he was charging $20K.  Now you can do a lot of the stuff he did with a Raspberry Pi and a handful of sensors that came from the smartphone industry (MEMS in particular).  The effort put into application is where it varies...like you could cheaply put an accelerometer on the body and swingarm and infer damping performance, or I have seen crafted brackets that measure shock movement directly (eye to eye) vs acceleration of the upper mounting point and center of mass. Etc, etc.

Archived