Chain buying

VectorExpert

• Member Contributer

Are you looking for mileage or weight savings? Are you also replacing both sprockets?

Also having a chain debate.....

personally I’d spend a bit more for the X-ring chain. More lube will stay in the x-ring and it will last longer if you take care. 
EK makes a full replacement kit for a good price 🤔and it’s 530. 

My 8th gen came stock with 525 and has tights spots. I’m thinking of converting to 520 and Steel sprockets. A bit of a cost savings. 

Over the years I’ve been partial to DID chains. Seem to last the longest on my big hp bikes but they are the most $$$$. 

I will endorse the DID VX-series X-ring chains, if longevity is a desired trait.  The current model they sell is the VX3, I believe.  That's what I installed on my 5th gen VFR when I got it last spring.

An earlier version that I installed on my ZX1100E after the OEM chain started kinking at 48,000 miles ( 77,000km) lasted until I sold the bike with 106,000 miles (170,000km).  That's 58,000 miles.

The DID was still just in spec on the link-length check, had no kinks and was running smoothly over the OEM sprockets.  I'd never changed the sprockets since they never showed signs of bad wear.

Nor did I ever clean the chain, excepting once when it collected a lot of mud during a gravel road episode.

I've never had an O- or X-ring chain that I owned from new go less than 40,000 miles (64,000km).

If I had a "secret", it would be an application of PJ-1 Blue Label every 300-500 miles.  And keep an  eye on the adjustment, although in the case of the ZX, it rarely needed adjustment between rear tire changes when I would be getting only 7,000 miles out of those things.  The Michelin Road 5 was still off in the future.

Good chains are much cheaper in the long run.

• Member Contributer

When I did the red bike at 18k ($147 U.S.):

45T rear Superlite from Sprocket Center (only game in town).

RK 530 XSO Z1 chain.

JTF339.17RB front sprocket. (RB for rubber).

RK and DID are the ticket. EK...meh. I used to like Tsubaki, but not sure they play anymore. 

• Member Contributer

I just put a DID 525 vx3 with new sprockets on my Hornet 599. The wheel actually spins by itself when I give it a spin by hand.

Got 19k out of the original oem set. The first 17k have worn gradually and then went to hell within 2k, I had to adjust every 200 miles to a point where I could lift the chain off the rear sprocket off the back.

Highly recommend the vx3, got it on Amazon for $100

• Member Contributer

Good or bad...they can be run until end of life if monitored. 😞

20211024_223953.thumb.jpg.acab3369886584e029bca0fbdf099fe6.jpg

Thanks guys, this was very helpful.  And yes always new sprockets with a new chain - I ordered a stock tooth count set of JT.  but now I'm wondering if doing a 1 up on the front would have been a smarter choice.

• Member Contributer

I wouldn't go larger on the front. I think yours has a 16 tooth front, and that works pretty well. I went to 45 tooth from 43, and couldn't

be happier. I tried going one larger on the front many years ago, but it made the bike way too sluggish, and over geared. The 45 rear and

17 tooth countershaft sprocket works well for me.

FWIW, I've used DID for years, tried RK once, and it didn't last as long as the DID. But that's just my experience. I went to DID 520 chain

and sprockets this time around just for grins and giggles. Seems to work just fine, but time will tell. I got about 27,000 miles out of the

last DID.

• Member Contributer

Ensure the chain is properly installed.  I "rescued" a 98 from a college kid who had a new chain installed, only to find out otherwise.  I'm currently into an engine swap so if you need any bits from this engine, let me know.  VFRD discount applies.

IMG_9347.JPG

40 minutes ago, sa1713 said:

Ensure the chain is properly installed.  I "rescued" a 98 from a college kid who had a new chain installed, only to find out otherwise.  I'm currently into an engine swap so if you need any bits from this engine, let me know.  VFRD discount applies.

IMG_9347.JPG

That is a very sad sight indeed. That poor motor. That must have been a bad day. 
Was it a clip link that failed? 

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

That is a very sad sight indeed. That poor motor. That must have been a bad day. 
Was it a clip link that failed? 

I don't know, and I'm sure the college kid didn't either.  These engines are bullet proof, not chain proof.

Archived