·       New air filter

·       Coolant flush

·       PAIR delete

·       Snorkel & flapper mod

·       SV’s

·       New Metzeller Roadtec 1 tyres front & rear

·       Techspec tank grips

·       CF-look chain cover/hugger

·       SS bolts (fairing, axle + pinch bolts, brake disc bolts)

·       Mirror extenders

·       CF-look fuel filler, tank pad & key cowl vinyl

·       New number plate

Still to do/considering at some point:

·       Hi-level end can + VFRD headers

·       PC III

·       Mosfet r/r

·       Find & fit clear LED indicator bulbs (flash orange)

·       New number plate

·       Comfort seat (Top Sellerie)

·       Brake levers

·       louder horn

·       16-tooth front sprocket

·       Oxford Products sat nav mount on steering stem

Most of the above is blingy, very little has made the bike lighter or more powerful but that wasn't the aim, mainly because I have neither the knowledge or skills to accomplish the sort of things Mohawk and others have managed to do. The main point was to refurbish a bike that hadn't really been ridden for 16 years and keep it such that it will still be as rideable in 20 years time.

I've yet to go on a decent ride with her as it's been 34 deg C / 90 deg F yesterday and today so a little too warm for my liking but I will be getting her out for a good run soon.

Massive thanks to all those who have proffered advice, you know who you are, this was a big thing for me and she's pretty much turned out as I wanted, so thanks. :beer:

20220814_074013.jpg

20220814_074117.jpg

20220814_074230.jpg

20220814_074311.jpg

20220814_074329.jpg

20220814_074437.jpg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, ducnut said:

@Skids I hope there was an upgraded R/R somewhere in there? 😉

Oooh yes that is on my other list, just forgot it. 

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, jroberts427 said:

Looks great. Got a link for the LED headlamp bulbs? 

Thanks, 

Justin 

Justin, no I didn't keep a link to where I purchased them but here's the box with a QR code.

Plug and play.

20220815_064933.jpg

20220815_064907.jpg

• Member Contributer

Took her out for a bit of a run this morning, just to make sure everything is working as it should.

I'd forgotten just how smooth and flexible this engine is. I don't know what exactly is responsible but it is butter smooth at low revs/low speed. I can sit there happily in 1st or 2nd at 25000rpm purely on the throttle and she's easy to control. I'm guessing that the 'new' Starter Valve balance sequence has done the job but maybe it's a combination of all the things. Who knows. Either way, the engine is a peach.

The brakes are also phenomenal. Not quite the planet-stopping power of the 1200 brakes, but not far behind and I love the balanced braking you can get when gently slowing using the linked-brakes; I'd completely forgotten about that as neither of my other 2 VFRs has it.

Suspension is very stiff, at least compared to what I'm used to on the Crossrunner. Felt every single bump on the back roads, but she feels very solid. I may have to play around to see if turn in a little quicker.

All-in-all, so pleased. Thanks all for the help.  :beer:

• 1 month later...

Would be interested to know about the HEL lines. I had a 2001 model some years back and removed the dual brake setup as I felt it never worked, and wanted to install braided lines. The brakes felt a bit wooden but ok. I just got a 1999 50th year model, 11k miles, super condition. Like you I've had it in pieces and its 100%. I am keen to replace the ageing rubber lines but this time retain the Dual setup. I have a Haynes and am no stranger to brake bleeding. Was the dual bleed a real PITA?

I also have a 1200 as a daily ride (replacing 2001 800) and its great. Its my 2nd 1200. If you are into slight modifying, I found the SebSteef ECU flash a vast improvement, and I also got a DAM end can. 

Your 800 looks lovely BTW!!! Hoping to get out on my "new" 800 in October while its still dry and cooler.

Meant to say, recently I have been taking brake lines to a company in Dorking called VenHill. They do kits, but you can also take what you need to them and they literally copy the same length etc. The connecting ends swivel and lock so you can get the pipe route just right. 

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

In addition to the WiLD headers that I've just put a deposit down on, I have just ordered a GPR hi-level end can.

Hopefully the 2 will go together well.

gpr_exhaust_systems_gp_evo_titanium_4l.jpg

• Member Contributer

@Maccers Hey Maccers, sorry but I completely missed your post above, only just saw it as I posted about my new end can.

I returned the HEL lines, managed to get a full refund too so kudos where it's deserved. There's a thread on the issue I had so I bought some Galfer instead. I'd fitted a set of these to my previous 08 VFR800.

The Galfer lines are superb, much better design than the HEL at the headstock join and the brakes are a significant improvement imo.

Bleeding the Dual CBS can be a challenge but if I can do it, I'm pretty sure anyone can. Always worth a calliper strip, clean and rubber renew if yr removing the lines anyway.

I'm lucky because I also love my VFR1200. Sebsteef ECU flashes are very well thought of by those that have had it done and along with some suspension work and a DAM end can the bike becomes a truly outstanding motorcycle, imo.  :beer:

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

😋

Nice!

I had a high level carbon Delkevic before my Remus and it stuck out at a weird angle, just wouldn't sit right. I was impressed with the overall build quality though. Sold it and lucked out on the high  carbon Remus which I always loved. I did look at the GPR too. Let us know what you think!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Got a rear view shot? Does it sit in close to the rear fairing?

Looks 😋

Follows the tail piece line very nice.

• Member Contributer
37 minutes ago, Bren said:

Got a rear view shot? Does it sit in close to the rear fairing?

Looks 😋

Follows the tail piece line very nice.

It's not close to the fairing but only a 2mm gap to the rear footpeg mount. 

20230325_173928.jpg

• Member Contributer

Good fitment, flows with the lines nicely.  That a pretty unique bracket system for the muffler camp too.

• Member Contributer

Sounds a little muted but will need to hear it wot. She's back in the road 1 Apr, though the forecast is for rain so it will have to wait. 

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, Sweeper said:

All I could hear is those whiney cam gears!😜 

Yeah, need the open roads 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

She's back on the road (Apr to Sep) and as it was such a beautiful day here, I took her out for a short blast.

Soooooo smooth, esp at low revs, brakes excellent and handling refreshingly solid after the Crossie. And a chance to show off the new hi-level.

Some photos.

20230407_124953.jpg

20230407_125028.jpg

20230407_125048.jpg

20230407_125128.jpg

20230407_125145.jpg

• Member Contributer

Only thing I forgot to mention is that whilst the GPR is a lovely end can, to get the rear wheel out it needs to be removed completely along with the link pipe, which means removing the rear cowl to get at the bolts securing the RH rear peg, which needs removing too. Not a long or difficult job, just longer than rotating the end can out of the way to remove the rear wheel, like I used to be able to do. :mellow:

• Member Contributer

Isn't the exhaust clamp fixed at the bottom to that bracket which is then bolted to the passenger peg? The joint of the clamp/band seems to be there?

I'm not seeing why the rear cowl and the rear peg needs to come off 🤔

I have givi racks so if I had to take everything apart just to get the wheel off I wouldn't be too happy.

• Member Contributer
29 minutes ago, Bren said:

Isn't the exhaust clamp fixed at the bottom to that bracket which is then bolted to the passenger peg? The joint of the clamp/band seems to be there?

I'm not seeing why the rear cowl and the rear peg needs to come off 🤔

I have givi racks so if I had to take everything apart just to get the wheel off I wouldn't be too happy.

I know what yr saying but the link pipe has to rotate/move outwards to ease it off, there's barely 2mm of gap when it's fully fitted so the link pipe has to come off too. 

Archived