2000 VFR800 Resurrection

perrymike15

NGK Spark Plug CR9EH-9

Whoh, these have a much different design.. I'll make sure these get installed when I put the bike back together. Still though, that does not solve my current problem. Anyone in here done a compression or leakdown test on one of these bikes??

• Member Contributer

here you go. Trim to same length as spark plug. Due to such tight quarters, every little extra volume that's not occupied will throw off readings.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B08CRVJZWC

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

here you go. Trim to same length as spark plug. Due to such tight quarters, every little extra volume that's not occupied will throw off readings.

Damn, you're good! I have never seen those, or knew they existed....

10 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

What was your search term when you dug that up? That link isn't available in the USA. I've tried to search around with that part number but I'm not getting anywhere 😕

Thank you very much for the help! It's very much appreciated. 

Actually thank you all who have commented on this post! You guys have an awesome forum I'm so glad to have gotten the support that I have. I'm catching myself day dreaming out riding my VFR as soon as it gets warm out 🤤hopefully she turns out

• Member Contributer

I Googled for something like "long 10mm compression tester adapter" or some such and switched to images. Then scrolled through looking for likely targets.

I never actually like using those adapters, sometimes they stick and get left behind unscrewing tester. What I've done is get the Snap-on tester hose with long threads and cut off quick-release fitting. Then attached fitting that fits my gauge.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Compression-Gauge-Adaptors/Compression-Gauge-Adaptor/EEPV5G10L

• Member Contributer

I find about 80% of what I want on the Internet through image searches!

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago I just broke the ceramic out of a spark plug and epoxied a tube into it to fit my compression tester.  Still works fine.

• Member Contributer
On 1/31/2022 at 6:36 PM, perrymike15 said:

Perfect, that's exactly what I need! Except that is not available in the states. Still searching around for a substitute.

I'm sure some friendly VFR owner in Europe would happily buy those and forward them for a suitable remuneration.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey everyone!

Long time no talk! I've been busy chipping away on this bike whenever I got time. I decided I'm gonna attack this project in two parts: #1 is replace essential parts and determine if the bike will run, and if all that works out, #2 is start doing more related maintenance items. So that's what I did. The big things I got done were having the injectors rebuilt, checking the valve clearance, cleaning the tank, and slowly replacing parts of the bike (when said parts showed up). The cylinder 2 valves were a little bit tight, but I decided to throw it back together anyway because I was not sure if replacing valve shims was the best thing to do...I didn't know if the rest of the motor was mechanically sound. So after checking valve clearance, I received my freshly rebuilt injectors and put together the whole throttle body/airbox assembly. I got new injector orings, replaced most of the vacuum hoses with silicone ones, gave everything a good clean, and started reassembling. Getting all those vacuum lines sorted to the right places was a bit of a challenge, but it wasn't that bad. After getting the whole airbox and TB assy put back together, I moved to the tank. This tank was NASTY! Probably the worst I've ever seen. Someone at some point put in some of that Kreem fuel tank sealant, so that was everywhere, but peeling off of the walls of the tank. I stuck my hand into the opening where the fuel pickup goes and peeled off as much as I could. I couldn't get my arm too far into the tank though, so the front end of the tank still had plenty of Kreem shit in it. My solution was to go to Home Depot and get some paint stripper. This stuff dissolved the Kreem like a dream! This was a pretty messy and smelly process, but I got it done. After that, I picked up some vinegar to start to chip away at all the rust in the tank. I threw a bunch of screws in there, poured in the vinegar, and let it sit for a couple days at different angles to get different parts of the tank submerged. After about a week of this I moved to the agitation step: shook the tank-vinegar-screws mixture to death. I was actually super surprised how well the rust came out! The whole top side of the tank is pretty perfect now. That said, It was difficult to get the bottom side of the tank submerged without having the fuel level sensor or fuel pump assy installed; the vinegar just wanted to pour out. I didn't get that part of the tank as rust free as I wanted to, so I am probably going to come back to this portion of the build. I was worried I would mess up the fuel pump and level sensor if I submerged the poor things in vinegar for a few days. Let me know if you guys think it would be fine, maybe Ill pull the pump and filter out and reinstall the sending unit (part that bolts to the tank). Also during all this tank main't I replaced the fuel pump and filter. With the tank good to go, an oil change done, new (correct) spark plugs installed, the air box ready, I was ready to finally find out if this motor will run. I put it all  together, I added some fuel to the tank, and cranked it. The ol girl did not want to start at first, even after priming the fuel pump many times, all I would get is a few pops out of the exhaust. I waited 10 mins, cranked it again holding the throttle at about 30%, and it lit off for a second and got up to about 2500rpm for a split second before shutting off. I had hope! Tried to crank it again and no luck. At this point, I was starting to think I had a big vacuum leak somewhere, because the bike was clearly getting fuel, air, and spark, but it sounded like it was not getting enough fuel. I turned my battery charger back on and went inside to eat dinner, thinking I'll let the starter have a break and maybe those injectors still have some air in them. I ate a taco, came back out, cranked it, it popped a few times but still nothing. I gave it a minute, put the throttle at 20-30%, and hit the start button. It started!! I held it at around 2k rpm then let off and it idled low for a second and then died. I started it again, kept giving it small revs, and the longer it ran the better it was doing! It was pretty smoky at first and a bunch of water came out of the exhaust when it lit off, which had me worried it had a blown head gasket, but I figured I'd let it run and sure enough the smoke cleared up, and it was running like a champ! The coolant came up to temp and stayed there! I even pulled the clutch and put it in gear and ran it through the gears just because, and trans was doing well too! I was suprised how hard the bike was to start, but oh well at least its good now. 

So. That was long winded, but the bike runs! All that was last night, this morning I went to start the bike just to see, and it started right up no problem. We're in business!

Moving forward: I guess it's time to order the rest of the parts and do things right. I need to order a seat, gas cap, flush the brakes and fluid, and 25 other small things before this project will be done and ridable. Also the plastics that I have for the bike are pretty grungy, those might be on the chopping block for replacement as well. I also need to finish descaling the tank and replace some valve shims. This project is under way!

• Member Contributer

That's great that another will be back on the road.  

Post up some pics when you have a chance. :fing02:

I rode the bike! It was probably a tad on the irresponsible side, but got a sliver of nice weather, my new battery came in, and I had a free moment, so I figured what the hell why don't I take it around the block. So that is what I did, I took it for a spin and it ran great! It was a little sketchy as the bike is not even close to put together fully, but I just spun it around the block just for shits and gigs. No problems at all actually! Kept an eye on the temp and it stayed below 175, though I was not out for very long. When I got back, the idle was a little high but I know the coolant is a little low so that's likely the cause (cold start valve wax pellet, saw it mentioned on another post). The bike was also running a little rich, a little bit of black smoke when revving after my ride. I'm not too worried about that quite yet though as there's still lots to tidy up yet, few more vacuum lines to replace, etc.

Here's a pic of my disgustingly messy garage and a bike that is in shambles. 

Messy garage, bike in shambles :(

Pardon the messy bench and garage!! It'll get cleaned up soon, just been franticly working on the bike lately haha. This is a pic taken after I took the bike around the block...You can see it's definitely missing some parts, I have a bunch on the bench. My seat actually came in today though.

ANYWAYS, A QUESTION

I need a gas cap for the bike. The bike already has 2 different keys, one that works the ign and another that is for the seat lock or something. 

I was looking around trying to find a new key/lock set with a fuel tank lid, ign switch, and the lock for the seat. I am having trouble finding one though. eBay came up with this one but it still says it's for a different year. I actually ordered a model like this one and the seller reached out and said it won't fit my bike. I know these options are cheap Chinese crap, but it's not looking like I have many other options. Do you guys have any insight into finding a lock/key set for these, or at least a gas cap?

Thanks so much for the help!

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, perrymike15 said:

Pardon the messy bench and garage!

Looks pretty normal to me!

• Member Contributer

In answer to your earlier question about whether the sender and pump will be OK in vinegar, I would say no.  I cleaned my tank with some citric acid based rust remover.  I did not inspect the sender and pump before this, but certainly afterwards they were a bit of a mess and I ended up replacing both. 

I think the pump rubbers tend to perish anyway, so not sure that was my issue, but I do think that the acid ate parts of the sender (you've got exposed copper contacts etc which aren't going to enjoy an acid bath).  It does make it hard to do the tank clean, but you'll be better off going to the trouble of making something to plug the two holes I believe.

TIP: have a person (typically of the female or small, obedient child kind) with small hands/arms on tap to get into those difficult to reach parts :-).  I also ended up using a chopstick with cotton wool taped on the end and a brass brush with a homemade longer handle for a few hard to reach spots.  That and a camera and light placed inside the tank so you can see what you're doing.

Archived