My triumphant return to VFRs; fixing up a fifth gen

whodat90

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, raYzerman said:

When you put your braided lines on, fill the reservoirs, let gravity do its thing until you get the master cylinders primed and fluid at the conventional bleeder screws.  Once the system is full, you can swap them out for SpeedBleeders.  You won't be able to fill an empty system with SpeedBleeders installed.......

Personally I'm a fan of using a vacuum bleeder to get the process started, just to get solid fluid through the master and into the line. I'm not as confident that a vacuum bleeder on it's own is much good for bleeding air however, the old pump and manual release (or speed bleeder) seems to be best. Bleeding the SMC/PCV line is hardest and ideally needs two people or the octopus that you used for the throttle bodies. Press the pedal to extend the SMC, then press and hold the SMC and release pressure at the PCV bleeder, close the bleeder, press the pedal to refill the SMC and push it out. And repeat.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, raYzerman said:

When you put your braided lines on, fill the reservoirs, let gravity do its thing until you get the master cylinders primed and fluid at the conventional bleeder screws.  Once the system is full, you can swap them out for SpeedBleeders.  You won't be able to fill an empty system with SpeedBleeders installed.......

Yes, thanks m8. I did the same to my 6th Gen many years ago.

• Member Contributer

I must post up some of my similar jobs sometime if only to provide a mere mortal’s counterbalance 🙂 

Lots to learn from here, so big thanks. I assume the two pin flasher relay replaces stock three pin with no issues then (helpful to know since the two pin ones seen easier to get)?

Yup, direct swap and even fit in the stock location.  No wires cut, plug just plugs in.  Not only is it easier to get, I got a two-pack from amazon for like $10 shipped next day.  BTW I used different turn signal bulbs than brake light bulbs for clearance issues; the front turn signal bulbs have a lot less room than the rears and brake lights.  

Just checked the wiring diagram, looks like the stock three wire blinker relay has power, ground, and output.  The two wire has power and output, and uses the ground provided by the bulb when it's on.  I'm guessing that since the stock blinker relay uses probably a bimetallic switch it needs more current than the bulb can provide.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Just to add that I got one of the same relays as you and can confirm that it seems to work with any combination of incandescent and LED bulbs (not all LED relays will handle the higher load of the incandescents). That’s quite a help if you happen to have the upper cowl off but are maybe not ready to swap bulbs yet. 

I tested with no front indicators and rear incandescents and then with one LED fron plus the stock rears.  I didn’t time the flash rate, but it certainly seemed what I would consider normal.

You’re right about clearance on the fronts. The switchback bulbs I have won’t fit (almost but not quite). I was trying to retrofit the DRL wiring (marker lights) which we don’t have on UK bikes and then use a switchback bulb in a smoked indicator at the front. Given up for now as I want to ride but at least the relay’s in place and bulbs can be swapped easily.  Your post was a big help, thanks.

Thanks, happy to share.  These are the turn signal bulbs I got for the front and rear turn signals:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EEI9LLM

And they fit fine.  These are the ones I got for the rear brakes:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H6TDWWB

With this blinker relay:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096XPH229

And for the heck of it, here's the headlight bulbs I got:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087CTL3SB

• Member Contributer

Really helpful, thanks. Will put up some pics of my LED headlights soon. Just wanted to get some shots of them out on the road if I can. Will look into those indicators and tail lamps. Thx 😀

I should clarify.  Those are the LED Headlight bulbs I installed in the VFR, but that's because I was going for reduction in watts, not absolute lumens.  On my spyder which has a much more robust alternator, I installed these:

https://www.amazon.com/DDM-Tuning-Headlight-Foglight-Warranty/dp/B085MBZ3Q1

Pretty much the brightest bulb you can stick in a stock housing at the time.  There may actually be something better and brighter now, but if you're going for WOW lighting it's hard to beat those.

Archived