EBC HH Brake Pads

NVR2L8

• Member Contributer

I just ordered a set of EBC HH front brake pads for my 2015 VFR800DLX, and I was wondering if they come with backing shims or do I re-use the OEM backing shims?  Or are no shims required with the EBC HH pads?  Curious as I just replaced the tires and I noticed the OEM pads have backing shims.

• Member Contributer

This is up to the user. HH is synonymous with "OEM." I have removed the shims from most bikes but some folks swear by them. 

• Member Contributer

EBC doesn't usually use shims... they are there to prevent noise.  In the old days, some used high temp silicone brake grease on the rim of the piston that contacts the pad... some cars specify it as standard procedure...... to me optional.  When new, just put the EBC's in as they are.  If they make a vibrating noise, then maybe, but I'd say not very likely.

If the shims fit without causing brake drag, then it's OK but optional.  EBC's can be a tad thicker than some OEM's.

• Member Contributer

Some pads have a bevel at leading edge to prevent vibration & noise. If pads i'm using doesn't have bevel, I grind one before installing

Archived