$400 1990 VFR750F

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
On 2/22/2022 at 4:02 PM, St. Stephen said:

Chain looks great also, probably just needs a little WD40. 

But for $400...

Matter of fact, I brass brushed the chain with WD-40 last night.  Came out pretty damn good.  One more round and I'll throw some gear oil on it.  The chain and sprockets were essentially new when it was parked.

• Member Contributer

Rear brake caliper rebuilt and bled. Pistons look nearly perfect surprisingly, and it had brand new EBC pads.

Front brake calipers rebuilt and bled with stock lines. Pistons also looked remarkably good. Master was clean.

Clutch master cleaned, flushed and bled. Fair amount of gunk in there, and somebody had slightly pinched the rubber. Not damaged, I was able to get it back in properly. I suspect the slave is not great either, but it feels good and I'm not gonna open a can of worms if I don't have to.

Waiting for another adapter for the exhaust, shortening the piece so the exhaust tucks in better. Then I can run it again and check for leaks with a crankcase that can breathe.

PXL_20220301_025919491.thumb.jpg.ae5e193baf90d7ac16d8f0879a630e57.jpg

Probably pull the radiator while I'm waiting and clean the hose connections and give it a quick spray of black.

Next spin it around and get the front wheel and forks off for paint. The fork lowers are fairly corroded and flaking paint.

• Member Contributer

It's getting fucking smaller again!!

PXL_20220302_032705522.thumb.jpg.b4554cc0884aa13cac05b2f6f5b43651.jpg

Wheel bearings... toast. Of course. Not surprised by that one.

Steering head bearings... pretty crunchy. Fuck. Not totally surprised, but was hoping that was one of those things that had been done more recently.

Oh well. Those things are not stupid money, nor hard to do. Already bought the steering head bearings for my 95, so those will get used on this. 

Edit:  Found a set of wheel bearings and seals in my misc axle/spacer box.  Sweet.

Some good news... brakes felt good when I was pushing it around for another de-grease bath outside and to spin it around. Releasing and not dragging, front and rear. Clutch pull still feels perfect.

• Member Contributer

Machining?  BMW S1000 rotor bolts (and matching titanium flange nuts) also seem to work... :wink:

853110045_2016-04-2219_41_20.thumb.jpg.094fbe82be9e548271e467692b4a0a71.jpg

791121719_2016-04-2219_56_10.thumb.jpg.759645dce3edd35803aca38f09e8151d.jpg

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

You've seen the bike right?  Doesn't deserve any titanium.

But I like that.  Thanks for chiming in so early.

Posted January 19:   "Pretty sure I will need to machine some reliefs for the rotor nuts, no big deal."

• Member Contributer
35 minutes ago, JZH said:

Machining?  BMW S1000 rotor bolts (and matching titanium flange nuts) also seem to work... :wink:

853110045_2016-04-2219_41_20.thumb.jpg.094fbe82be9e548271e467692b4a0a71.jpg

791121719_2016-04-2219_56_10.thumb.jpg.759645dce3edd35803aca38f09e8151d.jpg

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Looks like you could use the extra set of titanium sprocket bolts I have, that is unless you have already done that.

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, jefferson said:

Looks like you could use the extra set of titanium sprocket bolts I have, that is unless you have already done that.

Really?  Not interested in going back and reading some of the thread?  I guess "$400 1990 VFR750F" doesn't seem like a very attractive topic.

• Member Contributer

Man, I read a lot, and I'm sure I've come across that little hack, but I sure didn't remember it.  Next time... 

• Member Contributer

Wow, good find JZH! Available in SST or Ti....

Material: Stainless Steel
Product Type: Brake / Caliper
Thread Diameter: 8mm
Thread Pitch: 1.25mm
Thread Length: 23mm
Head Diameter: 16mm
Head Height: 2mm
Length: 26mm
Allen Key Size: 5mm

BMW Rotor Bolt.jpg

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, jefferson said:

This comment was for JZH.

• Member Contributer

Well, I guess the good news is this wheel can now be bolted on to any stock VFR without mods.  I was pretty proud of my work until yesterday.  🙂

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, mello dude said:

Those bolts are nice...dealer purchase or source link?

+1

Pretty good about finding shit, but not good enough to remember to look in the first place apparently....   😞

• Member Contributer
On 3/3/2022 at 10:40 PM, Captain 80s said:

You've seen the bike right?  Doesn't deserve any titanium.

But I like that.  Thanks for chiming in so early.

Posted January 19:   "Pretty sure I will need to machine some reliefs for the rotor nuts, no big deal."

Sorry... I missed that.  But this isn't exactly the first time I've shared pictures of that mod!  :warranty:

Mine were indeed titanium, but I'm sure the OEM BMW bolts were either stainless or carbon steel.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

These were aftermarket from Probolt...

STAINLESS:

https://www.probolt-usa.com/stainless-steel-disc-bolt-bmw-s1000r-front-m8x26mm/

Ti:

https://www.probolt-usa.com/titanium-disc-bolt-bmw-s1000r-m8x26mm-4mm-collar/

I'm sure you can get the stock steel version from a BMW dealer, but might not be any cheaper.

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, RC1237V said:

STAINLESS:

Ti:

I'm sure you can get the stock steel version from a BMW dealer, but might not be any cheaper.

Thanks! I'm a big fan of ProBolt, all their stuff looks like jewels...

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, RC1237V said:

STAINLESS:

Ti:

I was just going to search around and see who had these. Saved me some time. They are on my list. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Credit goes to JZH, I just looked for them per his suggestion, to see the specs.

Even the low profile head allen bolts from McMaster Carr are not that low profile, and are almost $10 each for plain steel. 

• Member Contributer

Not going on this bike, but I just got very lucky and acquired a Left Exit Full Two Brothers exhaust.

1745094687_PXL_20220308_1410102761.thumb.jpg.6e0c94b8e55d23aec7b3fd9dba6b40d0.jpg

Some surface corrosion, but no major pitting or dents,  Will go in the stash for the keeper 1990 - 1993 at some point in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Final configuration of the custom D&D Slip-On.  Fabbed up a hanger too.

PXL_20220316_023621043.thumb.jpg.eb073d1a9918fbace07099ad3b41b15e.jpg

Clearance can be adjusted, but this looks good.  Did an angled squish on upper portion of the stay for the brake res hose to route by.

PXL_20220316_024013688.thumb.jpg.16231e4d0a7a7323092de241f2afd4f9.jpg

Modded passenger peg bracket looks good under the tail section as just the seat latch and grab handle.

PXL_20220316_024900720.thumb.jpg.d0358b67c638ed76c8bc6c69f392607a.jpg

• Member Contributer

All this time I thought "Captain 80's" referred to your bikes. Now, after looking at these photos, I realize it is a reference to your shop sound system!  😎

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

All this time I thought "Captain 80's" referred to your bikes. Now, after looking at these photos, I realize it is a reference to your shop sound system!  😎

Hey, watch it!  Yeah....    "shop".  It's not my living room.  The shop gets the continual hand me downs.  It is full surround tho, and two 55" LCDs for watching motorcycle racing.  The classic big Speakerlabs in the corners still sound great for music too.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Hey, watch it!  Yeah....    "shop".  It's not my living room.  The shop gets the continual hand me downs.  It is full surround tho, and two 55" LCDs for watching motorcycle racing.  The classic big Speakerlabs in the corners still sound great for music too.

Sounds awesome to me! :fing02: (Who needs a house? 😁

Archived