$400 1990 VFR750F

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Hey, watch it!  Yeah....    "shop".  It's not my living room.  The shop gets the continual hand me downs.  It is full surround tho, and two 55" LCDs for watching motorcycle racing.  The classic big Speakerlabs in the corners still sound great for music too.

Haha, have to confess I'm living in a glass house--or maybe garage. I have a really cheesy pair of speakers that get their sound from an old iPhone. But at least they're newer than that amp!

Also, only two bikes. I aspire to more.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
52 minutes ago, St. Stephen said:

Haha, have to confess I'm living in a glass house--or maybe garage. I have a really cheesy pair of speakers that get their sound from an old iPhone. But at least they're newer than that amp!

Also, only two bikes. I aspire to more.

Digital Dolby DTS 6.1 surround...  slumming it in my shop, 2 big screens, staring at my current favorite bike (the one on the lift).

Just finished the first episode of MotoGP Unlimited with my buddy, drinking a couple Black and Tans on St. Paddy's.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, St. Stephen said:

But at least they're newer than that amp!

Wow...   nice save?

Jesus Christ...   a lot of things are newer than that amp.  But you know what aren't?  Any of my bikes!

I'll never have fun. 

• Member Contributer
41 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Wow...   nice save?

Jesus Christ...   a lot of things are newer than that amp.  But you know what aren't?  Any of my bikes!

I'll never have fun. 

Despite the lousy sound in the garage I do have a super duper Sonos system in my house. Started with two Sonos One speakers in the kitchen, then when my Sony amp (still probably newer than your shop device...) started failing I went all in and got the Sonos amp to power the Paradigm speakers in the living room. 

It is a great amp. Sonos software is poor but once you figure it out the sound is excellent. (it plays St. Stephen well)

Anyway, I'd love to see a one hour You Tube video of you and V4 Dreams. In your garage of course!

• Member Contributer
11 minutes ago, St. Stephen said:

Despite the lousy sound in the garage I do have a super duper Sonos system in my house. Started with two Sonos One speakers in the kitchen, then when my Sony amp (still probably newer than your shop device...) started failing I went all in and got the Sonos amp to power the Paradigm speakers in the living room. 

It is a great amp. Sonos software is poor but once you figure it out the sound is excellent. (it plays St. Stephen well)

Anyway, I'd love to see a one hour You Tube video of you and V4 Dreams. In your garage of course!

Our house is an updated 1956 Rambler that I hard wired with ethernet into each bedroom, kitchen and livingroom from a central router connected to fiber.  Was not fun.  But this was before really good mesh wireless networks.  Plus, hard wired is always better.

So...  a little bit of a kluge...  but it works.    Sound system from the shop feeds the outer shop and outdoor eating area next to the inner shop.  Sounds pretty fucking good and all in synch.

Tours at some point in the future.  Prepping for a new concrete patio in the outdoor dining room as we speak.

• Member Contributer

22 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Sound system from the shop feeds the outer shop and outdoor eating area next to the inner shop.  Sounds pretty fucking good and all in synch.

Jeez, I wish I had an outer shop and an inner shop...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Rear subframe and inner fender back on and the wire harness re-routed. Cleaned up, straightened and painted the brake pedal and shifter. Shot the muffler stay while I was at it.  New steering head bearings installed and forks back on after a quick clean up and some paint.

PXL_20220404_131310451.thumb.jpg.86d5fe04ab5b81594ab2e5b41df626ab.jpg

Finally rolled it outside Saturday afternoon for a proper running. D&D sounds amazing. V4 growl without being obnoxious at all. Really happy with it. Bike ran great with no oil leaks (whew...). Smoked a little at first but cleaned up as it came up to temp, I'm sure it was just from sitting for a few years and all the PB Blaster I sprayed in all of the exhaust junctures. Engine didn't make any funny noises, sounded like a healthy gear driven cam V4. Bike revved up great and settled into an idle as expected. Oh, and all the exhaust leaks are gone now after going thru the mounts.

Tested the fuel pump and it works. Checked the charging system, Low 14s. All good news. Temp gage didn't work at first, but after disconnecting the wire and reconnecting it started working. Didn't want to restart one time until I sprayed some WD40 down around the kill rocker, and worked it a few times. Had a little weirdness while manipulating one of the fuses, so the fuse box needs love too. There's still a bunch of connectors I need to go thru, along with the fuse box and kill switch.

Had to use a 1986 VFR rear brake fluid res on a small bracket. The original unit's screws were rusted frozen and the plastic was pretty hammered. This one fits in the rear cowl no problem and you can still see the level thru the sight hole. I cleaned up the hack job somebody did on the rear fender, and straightened the subframe brace where the seat latch mounts. Was bent down a bit from years of people slamming the seat into the latch. I always open the latch manually when installing seats and release with pressure on the seat.

Getting close to a test ride. I'll grab a short video clip the next time I take it outside to heat cycle it again.

• Member Contributer

Enjoying the process.  Looks funny without the 8 spoker.  I hope you're saving it for another project, or to pay for one!

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, tbzep said:

Enjoying the process.  Looks funny without the 8 spoker.  I hope you're saving it for another project, or to pay for one!

This whole ordeal started life as, "Look, it's a whole VFR with a couple goodies for what the rear wheel is worth." 

I am 100% selfishly saving this wheel for me.  Likely my 1995 VFR unless something more needy comes along.  I purposely put a 4th Gen wheel on my Hawk GT, as I didn't want a 5.5" on that bike.  5.0 is the sweet spot on the NT650, imo. 

This bike is VERY likely being sold to fund other things.  I still want a Gen 3, just a better starting point.  But now I have a Fox TC, steel braided lines and correct fork springs for the next one.  In the meantime I've also acquired a rear fender that hasn't been hacked to death and a Left Exit full Two Brothers. 

I'm at $850 total for where it sits in the above pic.  Probably removed close to $1000 worth of parts.

• Member Contributer

I sold a worn out, no compression, hydraulics busted tractor for the price of the spin-out wheels that were on it a few years ago.  I'm sure he parted it out and got his money back on it.  I got it off the farm and we were both happy.  Your project is a lot more interesting, though it parallels in many respects.  I'm glad you're going to put the 8 spoker to good use along with some of the other goodies!

• Member Contributer

I personally like the 5th gen 5 spoke alot, so i think it looks pretty good. A 4th gen 5 spoke would have killed it for me.

• Member Contributer

Apologies if I missed it - I see mention of the clean / repaint of the forks (looks great, BTW) - just wondering about the front wheel.  Looks 5/6 gen to my somewhat trained eye.  I've long been curious about backwards / forward compatibility of front wheels.  If true those are 3g forks and a 5/6G front wheel / rotor, is that a direct bolt in or are any mods required?

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

Apologies if I missed it - I see mention of the clean / repaint of the forks (looks great, BTW) - just wondering about the front wheel.  Looks 5/6 gen to my somewhat trained eye.  I've long been curious about backwards / forward compatibility of front wheels.  If true those are 3g forks and a 5/6G front wheel / rotor, is that a direct bolt in or are any mods required?

4G front wheel.  5/6G are wider at the rotors and axles spacers, I believe...  not bolt on.

• Member Contributer

My fuse box is a corroded mess.  Anybody got a line on the fuse holder connectors for the fuse box?

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

My fuse box is a corroded mess.  Anybody got a line on the fuse holder connectors for the fuse box?

Can you extract one and post photo? I can probably match it up to tin-coated connector you can replace with to cure corrosion forever. 

• Member Contributer

Will do.  I have a couple pulled from the box.  Snap a photo when I get home later. 

Exploring grafting on a different design that is more serviceable and then can be unplugged from the Main Harness.  

Something like this.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.0e986c95f5dbbcb83cecdd3349542d85.jpg

The 3rd and 4th Gen are hard wired to the Main Harness.  Kinda Un-Honda-like compared to ALL of my other bikes.

• Member Contributer

I haven't seen anyone offering replacement terminals for Honda fuse boxes, but I'd bet the terminals are available somewhere.

This would be a more modern type of sealed fuse box which might work: https://www.delcity.net/store/Sealed-MINI®-Fuse-Panel-with-TPAs/p_806637.h_806638

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

I thought they looked pretty unique too.  Pretty sure I'm going to graft on a Honda Fuse Box from a different year VFR or maybe CBR.  I have a couple on the way, plus a couple "in stock", to compare and see which one is the best candidate.  I have some donor wire harnesses I can source the harness side plugs too.   Should be pretty easy actually.  Still find it very UN-Honda like to have the fuse panel hard wired.  Maybe they did it that way moving forward, all my shit is "old".

• Member Contributer

If I had a choice, I would go with sealed connectors these days.  So many electrical issues on VFRs are caused by corrosion...

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Those terminals are zinc coated, which are OK. Corrosion is actually from uncoated wires. Personally, I always use silicone pre-tinned wires. 

What you can do in this case is remove corrosion with Deoxit spray. Then

solder over the crimped wire-ends. This will improve conductivity as well as seal uncoated wire-ends from moisture. Which tends to creep down wire-ends and cause internal corrosion.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Electrical gremlins are sorted, was able to clean up and retain the stock fuse box. The last item was the neutral switch on the crankcase that becomes finicky when hot and flickers slightly. Well with the sidestand down that meant it is cutting ignition every time it flickers. My temp "solution" before replacing the neutral switch was to jump the wires and make the bike think the side stand is up. Because it's a 3 wire switch, I can still retain the Side Stand warning light functionality when down.

I ran a whole remote fuel container with zero issues. Bike runs sweet, revs smooth and idles perfect. No oil or fuel leaks, and doesn't smoke at all now after a few heat cycles.

Should be ready for a Spring Sale pretty soon. Time to go.

• Member Contributer

OK... another change. Bought another shitty muffler for the flange and fabbed up one more slip-on for a fairly crappy Two Brothers Oval CF Magnesium slip on.

PXL_20220506_010818611.thumb.jpg.3eda981169d6940ba48143670c0cb49f.jpg

It had been cut down a bit and rebuilt after some damage and was on a 1986 VFR with a Kerker 4-1 I bought off a friend. I also swapped the passenger peg brackets off of the 1992 on to this. Probably better to have some passenger pegs on the bike I'm selling. I'll use the modified ones I did for this on the 1992, that will eventually have a left exit Full TB.

In the meantime while I go thru the 1992 systems, before the resto and full exhaust, I can run the original D&D slip on I made that I like better.

PXL_20220316_023621043.thumb.jpg.9afaa51dd0a020974a9004ee0aadff7a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

OK.  Did a push for a couple evenings.  Here it is now. 

PXL_20220519_030126911.thumb.jpg.d359dbf2c2e0f1a17dad35bf8d1ae10b.jpg

It is idling using it's own fuel supply right there.  I had to swap out the fuel pump with another used one I had, it was acting funny.  Pretty close to sellable.

Bike:  400

RR wheel:  200

Front wheel, discs and new Dunlop (date code 2020):  Free.  I got a full refund from the seller when I contacted him about some damage and a slightly bent disc that wasn't described in the listing.  He didn't want it back.  I straightened the disc,

Shock:  100

Steering head bearings:  50

Slip on:  Free.  Came on a 1986 VFR I bought.  Well, the adapter piece was 15.

Tank:  150

Mirrors:  Free.  Came off the 92, which I have perfect ones for from my 95 that has 01 mirrors on it.

Here's what I got off of it.

8 spoke rear wheel (+ stock front wheel)

Stainless front brake lines

RT fork springs

Fox Twin Clicker

VERY nice original fuel tank

Archived