First post new owner to a 1991, need advice on transporting on a trailer

Hi all,

I will be transporting it over 350 miles of hilly and twisty terrain on a Kendon trailer. Searching this forum, it looks like the handlebar's grip/end are the recommended strap down point for the front. I am a little worried about the grip coming/slipping off with the strap. Is there another good strap down point for the front? Or I am just being overly paranoid? Thanks

Unfortunately, time is not on my side for purchasing the Canyon Dancer tie down for this trip. I will order it for future use.

Is the lower triple reachable for use as strap down using soft straps?

Or maybe I can strap down the rear pegs AND the rear grab handle to give more stability in case the handlebar grips slip? My trailer has a built in wheel choke for the front.

Is the rear grab handle a solid mount to the frame?

• Member Contributer

You won't clear the bodywork off of the lower clamp.  Go off the grips then but ABSOLUTELY find some additional tie down points like the rear pegs like I did.  You can't have straps run across any bodywork and apply pressure, it will destroy the EXTREMELY hard to find bodywork in short order.

Pull over and check often.

2 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

You won't clear the bodywork off of the lower clamp.  Go off the grips then but ABSOLUTELY find some additional tie down points like the rear pegs like I did.  You can't have straps run across any bodywork and apply pressure, it will destroy the EXTREMELY hard to find bodywork in short order.

Pull over and check often.

Maybe I can put a strap across the two handlebar grip straps to prevent it from slipping outwards. Anything on top that might get damage from the pressure downwards?

• Member Contributer

Yeah maybe.   If your soft straps are long enough, you can wrap around once extra and then have both loops for the hook.  That way the soft strap cinches. Nice thing about going off the grips is the pull is more down than to the side, so less likely to slip.

I've used that method MANY times. 

• Member Contributer

I've been transporting bikes for decades with a soft tie and strap on each grip without any issue (pulling up to tighten). We even hit a deer once and the trailer was up in the air. The bikes did not move. If the straps get wet they stretch out, so monitor that. If it makes you feel more comfy, put two on each side. (Also tie the back down in a similar fashion. On my 5th gen I use the rear peg mounts.)

Ensure that the soft ties aren't trying to turn the grips when tight. I usually set the right one so that a little throttle movement is used to keep pressure off of that whole assembly. 

Make sense? 

20220114_164653.thumb.jpg.a102475b47c1f8bbe4903949330e63e4.jpg

20220114_164720.thumb.jpg.ae5e1d91f976d288ca51f86ddda4859a.jpg

• Member Contributer

That's how I've it done for years too.  Transported a LOT of bikes for the shop.  Some bikes I double wrapped the strap for more tie down length for other issues and for more cinching area cuz I was extra nervous on some grips (not my bikes).

Rear peg mounts with additional soft straps nearly every time.  Gives you a little more forward pressure cuz sometimes the fronts are going pretty much down and slightly forward depending on the rig. 

22 minutes ago, bmart said:

I've been transporting bikes for decades with a soft tie and strap on each grip without any issue (pulling up to tighten). We even hit a deer once and the trailer was up in the air. The bikes did not move. If the straps get wet they stretch out, so monitor that. If it makes you feel more comfy, put two on each side. (Also tie the back down in a similar fashion. On my 5th gen I use the rear peg mounts.)

Ensure that the soft ties aren't trying to turn the grips when tight. I usually set the right one so that a little throttle movement is used to keep pressure off of that whole assembly. 

Make sense? 

20220114_164653.thumb.jpg.a102475b47c1f8bbe4903949330e63e4.jpg

20220114_164720.thumb.jpg.ae5e1d91f976d288ca51f86ddda4859a.jpg

Thank you guys. I have transported many bikes but not something like the VFR with few options for the front. I am the paranoid type so extra soft straps are not a problem. I have a box of 20 or so different length straps 😅 Also have about 12 ratchet tie downs along with about 4 cam strap downs. But having all that doesn't help when there is limited tie down points.

I will just have to bring everything and try out all the variations. I am planning to strap down the rear pegs going forward a little bit and the rear grab rail for side to side movement. Hopefully that will be enough insurance for if the grip strap fails. The wheel choke is tall enough to provide a little tipover protection when stationary as long as the bike remains in the forward position. 

• Member Contributer

Agreed. Be easy on those (much hated by me) ratching straps. I much prefer the cams. Just rock the bike a little right/left. you want the suspension to work during transport and for teh straps not to come loose. If you're really nuts, zip tie or velcro strap the open hooks to whatever you're hooking them to. 

Congrats on your VFR and welcome to the forum!  🙂

You wouldn't want to use the passenger grab handles to tie down the bike anyway.  I don't think they are metal (I know they weren't metal on at least the 5th and 6th gens) and could be prone to snapping under a lot of pressure, especially being over 30 years old.

Good luck with the trip!

• Member Contributer

3rd gen handles are cast allloy.  They could certainly take some direct side-to side stabilization, but the passenger peg mounts are the best option.

• Member Contributer

1749804991_PXL_20220115_0151042801.thumb.jpg.dd2469956f2c7bf98ba8933792b77294.jpg

2 hours ago, DesertKyorugi said:

Just looked at the pictures again and realized my bike does not have the rear grab rails. I guess I will just have to double down on the rear pegs

It has them....  they are slid in and rotated forward under the seat in a tray (very likely).  Pretty cool feature.

4 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

1749804991_PXL_20220115_0151042801.thumb.jpg.dd2469956f2c7bf98ba8933792b77294.jpg

It has them....  they are slid in and rotated forward under the seat in a tray (very likely).  Pretty cool feature.

😲 I am impressed! I will have to take a look and check it out. The bike has a removable seat cowl cover on it. Pretty sure the seat is still a one piece double seat

• Member Contributer
Just now, bmart said:

I do this on the back. 

20220114_193313.jpg

That's the double wrap I sometimes do on grips.

• Member Contributer
40 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Too bad that later gens don't have that feature - that was a nice design. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Captain 80s said:

Now, this is brilliant engineering!!!

1 hour ago, Captain 80s said:

Just looked up the manual, the bike should have this. And from the looks of it, it can definitely work as additional side to side stabilizer after the front and rear pegs have already been tied-down

• Member Contributer

Once at your destination, replace this bolt with a longer one with a nylock nut (or one with Loctite).

The OEM one is just a bolt and will at some point decide it wants its freedom.....

image.png.e7eb54670bf82e8a51789fb6476b82c4.png

13 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

3rd gen handles are cast allloy.  They could certainly take some direct side-to side stabilization, but the passenger peg mounts are the best option.

Thanks for the correction!  Very interesting that they're stored under the seat when not in use.  Dare I say genius design?!

Got it home safe and in one piece. The right hand strap slid off the throttle grip a couple of inches after 250 miles. Had to redo the strap for the rest of the 100+ miles.

All original with the factory tool kit, rust free California bike

1947262865_PXL_20220116_2215154992.jpg

• Member Contributer

For the future, the front straps are tied too far back on teh trailer. They should be pulling the front wheel into the chock...then they can't move. 🙂 Glad you got the job done! Congrats. 

Archived