What is this lower triple clamp?

• Member Contributer

Listing is translated and states 41mm RC36 750 VFR 1990 to 1993.

I don't recognize it.  It's also odd how the top bridge uses a bolt to the reduced diameter (assuming internally threaded) stem.

Misidentified?  I don't remember coming across any Honda clamp / stem like this.  Steering stops are in an odd position too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203756046297?hash=item2f70ce87d9%3Ag%3A35UAAOSw9hteqhG5&LH_ItemCondition=4

triple1.thumb.jpg.bbb33fe585c614b6dd6f73ee6a140402.jpg

triple2.thumb.jpg.79f573cbb689562039704be15c9fe9cf.jpg

• Member Contributer

My 1993 had a cast steel lower, that was painted black, same with my 1990. The aluminum lower might be from a later year? The upper looks correct though...

• Member Contributer

94 - 97 is steel too.  98 - 01 is also steel.  After that they were 43mm(?) and they were still steel.

• Member Contributer

Maybe it came off a dirt bike or CBR as Honda likes to use the same stem length, and diameter for everything from 1984 - 2017 (except for the RC51 SP2 of course)

• Member Contributer

Honda alloy triple clamps usually have the part's PCN cast into the bottom somewhere, e.g., "MT4" for a '90-'92 VFR750F, "MGB" for a '98-'01 VFR800Fi.

Those holes actually look smaller than the top, and the offset looks smaller (30mm vs 40mm?), too, so maybe it came off an earlier or sportier model?  I don't recognise it, and I have many Honda triple clamps lying around...  Never assume an eBay find is what the seller says it is!

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Spent a few minutes on Google searching, and the earlier (pre-1990) VFR's had double bolt alloy lower triples, but don't quite look like that one. The dirt bikes do look similar, as they are also alloy with double bolts, but no matches. The CBRf2,f3,f4 etc bikes were single bolt, the 600rr bikes were double, but had way different spacing and offsets. I don't know much about the other brands of bikes from that era, but there might be a match somewhere. 

Maybe someone found a combo that worked, or a parts guy at a junkyard got them mixed up, and doesn't give a flying eff that someone may get an un-useable part. The desription says "Black Aluminum" so I have no idea what their eyes are seeing....😕

• Member Contributer

I think things got mismatched in the breaker garage.

That is no Honda lower clamp that I have ever seen.

If you are looking at that listing, look at 'suggested similar items' there is an RC24 steerer and yoke that has the 2bolt lower.

*edit : upon further inspection, and comparison, that lower may actually be from the XL250!!! Lol 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

I think things got mismatched in the breaker garage.

That is no Honda lower clamp that I have ever seen.

It doesn't look like the offset to the steering stem is the same between the top and lower, so probably mismatched.

Archived