2022 VFRD Spring Memorial Ride 5/19-5/22

41 minutes ago, bmart said:

Where are the rally reports other than my boring ones?

What? Speak up....Im still a little hard of hearing from that KLR.

FB_IMG_1653409620290.jpg

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Looks as though VFRs attending may have been in the minority,  yes?  That says a lot for the forum.  

Despite a few mishaps - nothing terrible as far as I know - the weekend was great.  I think maybe about half the bikes were VFRs?  At least a third anyway.  One of the things I love about this forum is no one really cares what you ride, just that you ride.  😉 

Unfortunately, my weekend was cut short when I hit a 2' long 4x4 board at about 60 mph on Route 64 heading back to Franklin on Friday afternoon.  It was laying in the middle of the road and I just didn't see it in time.  Thankfully I was able to keep the bike upright and nurse it to the shoulder quickly.  The front wheel's rim is bent badly and the tire was popped.  The rear wheel's rim was slightly bent, too, but was holding air.  Scary moment for sure, so I'm very thankful I didn't crash.

I am also very, very thankful Seb's friend Travis offered to give me and my broken bike a lift home in his Sprinter van on Saturday.  Travis was leaving that day for a track day in Iowa on Sunday on his way home to Wisconsin, and offered to go out of his way to help me get home.  We pulled into my driveway around 6:30 pm Saturday evening.  To say I am grateful for Travis' kindness is a huge understatement.

So while my trip ended in a rather unfortunate manner, it was great to hang out in Franklin with everyone for a couple evenings.  I got to see a few old friends and make some new ones.  I hope everyone else made it home safe and sound!

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Looks as though VFRs attending may have been in the minority,  yes?  That says a lot for the forum.  

To be fair, those pics aren’t of the whole crowd. Some people came for the first couple days, some for the last couple days, some stayed elsewhere, my VFR was in my trailer, etc. For sure, this is a great group of people, who definitely know how to ride, and are knowledgeable trip leaders. The fact there were several who trekked down from Ontario says a lot. Despite me not riding much with the group, I really enjoyed the time I did. 

• Member Contributer

For those who’ve never been to the area, this is from an overlook on the Cherohala Parkway. This region of the USA is spectacular. 

On 5/24/2022 at 6:47 PM, Cogswell said:

I think we had thirteen or so out of close to thirty bikes. it does say a lot about the friendships that have been made. The numbers are up again this year.

My best Dragon pics from Thursday. Looks just like all of my others except different bike.KB1.JPG.04f49c3fcdf09b12b2dc4a9226644aa4.JPGKB2.JPG.1415c27712003b526954a936b5846c17.JPGSlayer2.JPG.3eb90b0d785fe18acd0e02824a4d1b7c.JPGSlayer1.JPG.6ea8410e0698b14286fa2c0c46270547.JPG

That's about all of the pics that I took during the four day weekend. The PostRide pics and video are still to come. I may start another thread for that to keep it clean in this one. If you made it, post up your pics and comments!

• Member Contributer
On 6/1/2022 at 4:25 PM, timmythecop said:

No time to post anything......using all my time looking for a quieter can for the KiLleR.

DSC_5018.thumb.jpg.bfb3668406ad20fe5bf4bac8e6cbed30.jpg

https://muppix.net/purple-helmets-ramsey-isle-of-man-tynwald-day-2020/

😇

• Member Contributer

Whilst sharing e-bicucles and sharing e-scooters may be "the future",

I will stick to my dino juice drinking machine for the near future thqatnk you very much!

1654064548056482631474894865047.thumb.jpg.51ee2a1242a11dfecba7df807d9412c8.jpg

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Dutchy said:

I will stick to my dino juice drinking machine for the near future thqatnk you very much!

Amen to that!

Too lazy to start another thread so I hope this is ok here. Every spring and fall we do the VFRpwr Tour. Five or six days of riding "all the best roads" prior to the weekend event. This spring, we did it the week after due to scheduling conflicts. I'm not a video guy so its just a bunch of short segments of the good stuff.

We started the week facing a full day of rain so we elected to take the BRP and just cruise to our destination. That was the plan. We ended up in thick fog and pouring rain. If you notice the white spots on the road, that is the rain drops. The fog inside the helmet doesn't show in the video. We had one rider go down when he dropped off the shoulder into wet grass after coming out of a turn. Minor damage to the bike and the rider got back on and rode 90 minutes to the hotel. He's son and daughter picked him up that night and we found out the next morning that he had six broken ribs and a punctured lung. He had surgery to plate the ribs and is recovering at home.

The rest of the trip went better. We did see a lot of wet roads and debris but only one afternoon of rain the rest of the week. I'm still working on editing video from The Snake and NC281. Too much good stuff to cut out there.

https://youtu.be/phCAUS85-z0

The Snake... If you hang to just past the nine minute mark, you will see me stuff TheNana in hairpin before she unleashes all the power of her 900 and retakes the spot. Fun times!

https://youtu.be/0XFPs-0mnKk

NC281...

https://youtu.be/BmT4EOcdsgo

One last run before loading up and heading home NC28..

https://youtu.be/d6hXZzpqyNQ

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the videos! So many great roads "nearby" to Charlotte. Is that what a typical ride looks like? We pretty rode alone every day. No one wanted to ride with us! 😢

Archived