What's wrong with this brake caliper??

2FAST4U

• Member Contributer

For starters, I very seldom visit this website anymore because my primary bike is now a Kawasaki Ninja 1000 (and has been for a couple years).

Anyhow, please take a look at these pictures and let me know what you think. Do you think it's possible that part of the brake caliper somehow broke off and that's the reason for the gap? The front left caliper doesn't have this problem but, as for the one on the right, the pictures tell the story. This is an '02 non-ABS VFR800.

Thank you.

1816299818_VFR1.jpg

VFR 2.jpg

• Member Contributer

Definitely stuffed and Needs Replacing, potentially Dangerous situation!

It's worn out badly at two points! If you look closely at the retainer bracket/clip it has worn/cut through the locating point to the left, and the retainer bracket sub assy has also worn badly to the left. See attached with red arrows!

Retainer Bracket Sub Assy. Part No. 06453-MBG-405.

20211228_173759.jpg

20211228_180019.jpg

• Member Contributer

Way back in the threads on the same topic...I forget what year for 6th gen, but Honda upgraded the caliper bracket to eliminate the wear out. --- The guy who posted the thread- installed the upgraded bracket on an older 6th.....(possibly the calipers too.)

• Member Contributer

@DannoXYZ

I took a close look at the front left caliper and everything looks okay. Maybe it's because the left side doesn't have this bracket.

Thanks for everyone's input. I've already ordered the sub-assembly (see attached diagram) from a local dealership and was told it should arrive in 3-5 business days. After taxes it came out to $137 (that's not so bad).

VFR 3.jpg

• Member Contributer

I can't see any wear in those pics. The apparent gap looks to be wrong but does not show wear. May be a moulding error. The brake pad should not move front to rear, only up/down inline with the disc rotation direction. If it moved as per the supposed wear then the pad would be contacting the disc bobbins & you would have wear on the disc all the way to its inner diameter. Show a pic of the inside of the right disc. 

• Member Contributer

Oh it's definitely worn...... on mine, it allowed the stainless clip to rub on the OD of the rotor and the original was cut in half.  I put a new clip on and started cutting it through, but I caught it just in time and got a replacement bracket.

Archived