5th Gen windscreens

bmart

• Member Contributer

So...what are folks using? My '98 has a Zero Gravity double bubble. The new to me '00 has a stock one. 

I'm just under 5'11" and even though I haven't ridden the '00 too much, I feel like my helmet might be out of the turbulence on it than behind the double bubble. Price research is nuts. They feel like $29.99 items, but they're $100+!

• Member Contributer

The MRA is a good option, I'm using a Givi which is a bit taller and has a slight flip that moves the air to hit you a bit higher.  I installed a Chinese deflector on it (the wider one) to deflect air similar to MRA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

6’ here. Tried a double bubble. Went back to stock also.  VFR much better stock than my other adventure type bike where I’ve been through different screens and had to add deflectors to reduce turbulence/drumming.

• Member Contributer

Windscreens are very much a personal taste item and not a one size fits all. I like my DB screen ....the stock is hanging on the wall..

• Member Contributer

I tried a Zero Gravity Sport Touring screen. Then, tried an add-on extension to that. Neither was as good as stock. Since my stock screen was in such bad shape, I installed a Zero Gravity Stock Replacement screen. It’s essentially the same shape as stock and can be had in different tints. I’ve given up on the pursuit of perfection. If I want wind protection, I’ll ride my Tiger 800 with a Madstad windscreen. On that bike, I can wear a ball cap and it doesn’t blow off. 

• Member Contributer

In my industry, one of many great quotes: Perfection is the enemy of progress. 

My 2 cents on screens:

I currently use an MRA adjustable Touring screen in light smoke. Its a little creaky and old (hinges are a little weak, above a certain speed, idk like 160 kmph?, it slams to the lowest setting) but it really does the job, around 6 positions, lowest is used in summer, im a hot head and then the wind just about reaches my face, Position 3 (middle position) for standard use, gives me the best compromise of taking the pressure off my head and little to no turbulence (noise). Position 6 works most effectively under 80kmph if you want as little wind as possible, go above that the screen does tend to buffet, slam closed sooner, but also just generate more noise. (im 178cm tall if that helps?)

Personally, I love the MRA, gives me the flexibility when i need it, and at the lowest point looks way less dorky than some other touring screens (yes lol thats important to me)

Some information in general about screens:

The aerodynamics of windscreens on bikes are complicated, so they often have complicated answers and/or compromises.

What do you want the screen for? less pressure on your chest or helmet? less noise?

Ask yourself that first as they yield different solutions

E.g. Do you want quiet? the solution is not simply mounting a higher screen.

The reason you 'hear' air is turbulence, air being disturbed is what causes the windnoise you hear. So your best solution would be 'smoothen the airflow around your helmet'

If you want a really nerdy and in depth response on what screens are best, let me know, otherwise this post would be unnecessarily long XD

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I've had great results with Givi D200S windscreens on all my currently-ridden 5th gens.

I am 5' 5". The wind stream hits my helmet just about the bottom of the face shield, at the top of the chin bar . When I first started to use them I expected the extra frontal area increase might reduce my gas milage but was surprised that fuel mileage actually increased; varying from ~ 5% to ~ 10% and more. I figured that the windscreen replaced the aerodynamic brick my shoulders presented to the wind flow. Further experimentation revealed that when I tuck close behind windscreen, holding the throttle steady, my speed increased by as much as 10 mph and the perceived sound was greatly diminished.

Living and riding mostly in the northern part of the US and southern Canada the D200S also ment a slightly warmer ride. If I was planning on riding a lot in warmer climate where I'd appreciate more air flow to my upper body, I'd swap out the Givi for the OEM windscreen.

YMMV

I have tried quite a few 5th Gen screens (MRA, Givi, China Made, etc.) and I keep coming back to the Original OEM unit. I'm 6' 2" and primarily use the Bike in "sport Bike" mode, carving up the twisty back roads of Tennessee.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Is there a place to get an OEM or copy for a reasonable price? The '00 w/stock screen makes a lot less wind on my than my '98 with the double bubble. I thought I'd find dozens on fleabay, but no luck. 

• Member Contributer

https://zerogravity-racing.com/collections/honda-vfr/products/honda-vfr-800-98-01?variant=30143547729

SR from Zero Gravity is what you want.  The Double Bubble is a turbulence generator to me.  I have the SR (stock replacement) on my sixth gen.  Looks good, same smooth airflow as stock.

• Member Contributer

One OBTW, I think you are just running up against obsolescence.  The sixth gen is half the price, as are all the newer CBR variants.

• Member Contributer

Thank you! $200 is way overpriced IMHO. It is a piece of plastic... I may go Asian for $30. 

Now that you mention it, I may look through some boxes to see what I have hanging around. 

1/2 price & free S&H over $99. Markups make me mad. lol

https://www.oppracing.com/product_display/25056-zero-gravity-standard-replacement-windscreen/?mobile_mode=off

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

This doesn't answer the "reasonable price" question, but FYI, the OEM 5th-gen screen used in Europe (and possibly other markets) is tinted (unlike in the USA, where it is clear).  It looks nice and, well, very OEM!

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

I have a 2 screens along with a complete dress (sides, back, tank, signals, tail, headlight) in yellow, that I was going to be selling in the near future. The screen I have is a smoke sreen that I will part with. The thing is not worth shit to me TBH. But, Im in Canada, shipping ? Yes? Want it? contact me.

Archived