Rode a 1200 home tonight

VFRJake

Hello!

I sort of impulse-purchased a 2010 this weekend and rode it a couple hours home (in 32 degree weather). It has an aftermarket seat, bar risers, lower pegs, Bazzaz box, and a couple other little things. The thing is so smooth, comfortable, powerful, and feels way lighter than I expected. 

It didn't come with the top box so that's on my list. Y'all prefer the Honda OEM or something else? Same question for heated grips, actually. I put Oxfords on my ZRX to extend the season a little and was thinking I'd do the same here, but I'm curious if the Honda units offer anything extra for the price.

Other than that, I'm hyped to have something that can munch some slab miles to get to the fun roads, carry some camping/hiking gear, and sticks out as pretty unique and uncommon on the road. Absolutely no issue with the small tank or 'it's not what a VFR is supposed to be' sentiment I've read, I think this thing rips.

Only bummer is I'm not sure I'll hang on to my '93 VFR plus these other two bikes; one of the three will probably have to go. 

• Member Contributer

Congratulations Jake. Nice addition to your collection, better post a couple of photos.

Hang onto that 93 of yours! 

Hope it brings you many miles of joy. Ride safe.:fing02:

• Member Contributer

Excellent choice m8. :beer:

Tank range isn't a real issue, relatively easy to get 200+ and mu bum is sore sooner than that usually anyway. Around 140 when yr having fun in the twisties is no issue either.

OEM heated grips are ridiculously hot, like burn yr hands and you can't hold the grips hot. So I use a lower setting. 😆

Best of luck with the  new bike.

• Member Contributer

As Grum mentioned you must post photos. However, I will assume that you have the common sense to purchase a red one. As the owner of a 2010 (guess what color...) for seven years, here you go:

The OEM top trunk is great, but it's really small.

2oo miles on a tank is possible, but count on 150 until you fill up again.

You have one of the best engines, and best set of brakes in the motorcycle world. Those Nissin brakes on the 7th gen are world-class.

Kinda heavy, false neutral sometimes between 5th and 6th, and the plastic is a real PITA to remove and replace. But worth it. Photos...

Thanks fellas. It is indeed red, but the front uh, forehead fascia has been replaced with carbon fiber look. One side of the tail has a small crack, so those may end up with a carbon pattern too. I only have messy garage photos for now, way too cold in WI for a proper ride. But it really brings something extra to the space. 

20211220_191121.jpg

20211220_191102.jpg

• Member Contributer

Lookin real nice Jake, the carbon look front is cool. The 1200 build quality is truly superb. Really sad we won't be seeing these marvelous VFR's built ever again!

Enjoy it and hope it serves you well.

• Member Contributer

The 1200 is a beast of a bike with really good daily rider manners. They do make a larger rear trunk, there was a thread on here about it awhile ago. Enjoy that thing and ride the heck out of it!

• Member Contributer

Honda do an OEM 45litre top box/trunk (see photo). The one in RC1237V's post is a Givi Monolock top box (Givi do make the OEM luggage as well). The OEM one's are colour coordinated but are a universal style/fit so if you want one, there may be old stock of the correct colour or you may have to accept a different colour.

P1000841 small.jpg

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

Very nice, congrats. Definitely may add one to the garage myself in the next few years. 

A decision you will not regret.

Picked up a 2013 a couple months ago with only 3000 miles. It replaced a 2003 blackbird I had a while back. I'm 62 and I love this bike, especially the motor.  And the braking is unbelievable! When I want more comfort I ride my F6B, but the vfr makes me feel 20 years younger. Enjoy your bike!

16 hours ago, CBR1100XXST1300 said:

Picked up a 2013 a couple months ago with only 3000 miles. It replaced a 2003 blackbird I had a while back. I'm 62 and I love this bike, especially the motor.  And the braking is unbelievable! When I want more comfort I ride my F6B, but the vfr makes me feel 20 years younger. Enjoy your bike!

Honestly, I was looking at ST1100s, FJRs, etc. when I had a moment of, "Wait...I'm in my mid-30s" that turned me back to the VFR. I did a ~3,300mi. 6-day trip on my '93 maybe 10 years ago, and I want to be able to cover some less extreme distance with a lot more comfort. I think this is a decent fit, especially with the bars, pegs, and seat already sorted out. 

Archived