RIP Roy Wilson (zRoYz)

Hi everyone,

Just letting you know that we lost Roy this Saturday 18th. He was hit by a car along with 2 other riders and he didn't make it. Both Roy and I moved on to other bikes a while ago but VFRs are still a big part of our riding history. I'd been riding with him since 2004, so it's still hard to believe he's gone. Ride on, buddy.

img_3882.jpg

Thanks Kirby. Huge loss to the Aussie crew. Roy always managed to make you stop and think about your decisions with his thoughts and advice. A hard-arsed bastard with a true heart of gold. Ride on mate ❤️

Very sorry to hear about this and a crazy coincidence on a personal level that I'll get into another time. Was just thinking of him the night before and will be for the foreseeable future. 

Godspeed to him and peace to his family and friends left behind. Sorry for your loss.  

• Member Contributer

Sad to hear of Roy's passing. He added a lot of informative posts to VFRD. Sincere condolences to all his friends and family. Ride on Roy.

• Member Contributer

My heartfelt condolences to his family, riding buddies and friends.

• Member Contributer

Sad news. Condolences to his family and friends, thoughts are with you all.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Gentlepeople,

I worked with Roy for five years until he retired, and I helped him move from Sydney to Victoria. He was, with out a doubt, the grumpiest SOB at work. He was also one of my favourite colleagues. There was only three or four people at work that he would put up with for more than a few minutes. I think he tolerated me slightly more than most of the rest because I ride. (Suzuki GSX 1400) I doubt Roy ever thought of me as a friend, But he'd often seek me out at work for a chinwag, and he was always receptive to my odd technical questions after hours.

I very much enjoyed chinwagging with Roy. About motorcycles, and work, and co workers, and Video games, and just random stuff. And he was just so damn knowledgeable. I can see from a few of his posts here that he was a valued member of your community. (Even tho he did go out and buy an S1000. Which was a glorious machine. I can see it eventually becoming a german equivalent of his frankenviffer) 

A couple of years ago I was prepping to go to Jindy to meet up with the GSX forum for a weekend zooming around the mountain. I'd  never been and I knew it was his favourite playground,  so I asked him for some sage advice. He said

"It's full of idiots looking at the scenery. Don't ever cross the line for the perfect corner. You get collected"

I will miss Roy, even tho we weren't "friends" as such. I learnt a lot from Roy, even after 37yrs* of experience, there's always something to learn. I just hope I can be half as good a rider as Roy thought I was.

I hope you don't mind, But I'm going to have a wander through Roys comments and have a bit of a reminisce.

*37yrs is a teensy bit of a lie. I got my first motorbike at age Five, started competing at 12, been road riding since I was 16, but got my license at 30. Damned australian police and thier hard on for licensing. 😉

Archived