Ignition Timing!

Ughandi

• Member Contributer

Question from an ignorant human here:

Is there a way to adjust ignition advance on the 5th gens? I would love one more tuning parameter besides the fueling map. And maybe be able to squeeze a few HP out before I blow my motor doing so 😆 

• Member Contributer

Check out Rapid Bike (USA). I believe it's only the Racing Module that can do that.  You'll want a professional tuner making those adjustments.  Call and ask for Yaman to learn more.  There's a defunct thread on here by Candy Red RC46 who went through all that on a 6th gen. 

8 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Check out Rapid Bike (USA). I believe it's only the Racing Module that can do that.  You'll want a professional tuner making those adjustments.  Call and ask for Yaman to learn more.  There's a defunct thread on here by Candy Red RC46 who went through all that on a 6th gen. 

Cogswell is correct, the RBR ($695!) is the only current offering. There's an old Power Commander version that will do it but good luck finding one.  

• Member Contributer

Also,  factor in that premium fuel will be a must if you do that.  Old habits die hard and depending upon how aggressive the advance is,  the one time you forget could lead to catastrophic damage.  

• Member Contributer

I personally wouldn't touch the timing unless you're an experienced tuner..... and yes to premium fuel as it will run cooler.

My owner's manual already says 91 octane or higher, that's mid-grade around here and I usually use ethanol-free premium.

I'm also not quite understanding why some guys add Power Commanders and such on this bike.... it runs great to me once you have the starter valves set up properly and I never noticed much of any lagging or bogging or.....  mine runs pretty sweet.  OK, I might wish for something if I did track days and wanted to squeeze another ounce out of it, but not for street.  Save yer money for something else, like say.... fuel.

• Member Contributer

Not worth it on 5th Gen.

I fitted the RBR with the intention of using it. With 98Ron fuel, it will only take a maximum of 3 degrees before pre-ignition, with 95Ron only 2 degrees. And all of that below 6Krpm. Honda took the timing from the RC45 at the end of its production & they had it pretty much spot on. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, raYzerman said:

I might wish for something if I did track days and wanted to squeeze another ounce out of it, but not for street. 

I've ridden and coached on mine over the years and never wanted more power or altered delivery. Iv'e also spent a lot of time with guys who add the gadgets and their bikes fail...a lot. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, bmart said:

I've ridden and coached on mine over the years and never wanted more power or altered delivery. Iv'e also spent a lot of time with guys who add the gadgets and their bikes fail...a lot. 

Power Commanders are good for that. 

17 hours ago, ducnut said:

Power Commanders are good for that. 

Oh geez. Mine's been on my bike forever and it's fine. Do you have examples to share? I've never heard of a PC causing a bike to fail. Maybe someone jumbled the numbers while "tuning"? But that wouldn't be the PC's fault. 

• Member Contributer

The PC2 will let you adjust timing although I've never adjusted it on mine. It's been working fine for over 15 years. It does use a serial port connection and none of the USB-serial port converters I've tried have worked so you'll need a very old PC/laptop.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Oh geez. Mine's been on my bike forever and it's fine. Do you have examples to share? I've never heard of a PC causing a bike to fail. Maybe someone jumbled the numbers while "tuning"? But that wouldn't be the PC's fault. 

Have seen bikes that developed starting issues. Unplug the PC and the bike starts and runs perfect. The last one was a KTM 450. 

• Member Contributer

We see them fail a lot of track days, but nothing like the rate of failure of quick shifters or the tiny batteries. 

Archived