First Post, Please Help/ Guide on transport

Mait

• Member Contributer

Hello the finest people on two wheels,

Excuse me if this topic should have gone elsewhere or it has been discussed enough number of times earlier.
I am buying a 6th Gen bike this weekend. It is about 30 KMs from my house. I will be renting an enclosed moving truck from UHAUL. I am not sure where are the best points to tie down the bike? If that would be the handle bar or the front forks or both?
Where to tie the back end?
I don't have a front wheel chok, should I buy one?
Please spare a few minutes and advise. Pictures would be much appreceated.
TYIA.
Mait

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Mait said:

Hello the finest people on two wheels,

Excuse me if this topic should have gone elsewhere or it has been discussed enough number of times earlier.
I am buying a 6th Gen bike this weekend. It is about 30 KMs from my house. I will be renting an enclosed moving truck from UHAUL. I am not sure where are the best points to tie down the bike? If that would be the handle bar or the front forks or both?
Where to tie the back end?
I don't have a front wheel chok, should I buy one?
Please spare a few minutes and advise. Pictures would be much appreceated.
TYIA.
Mait

Hello Mait,

Welcome to the VFR world. The best way (in my opinion) is to use the handlebars at the mounting point to the forks. Make sure you do not put any tension on the fairings when tying it down. When tied down the fork should be slightly compressed, it stabilizes the bike in position. The bike should be upright, not on the side stand or the center stand. For the rear, you can use the passenger foot pegs or grab rails or if not there the rear wheel and mount it in a way so the bike cannot lift off or move sideways. The front tie down is most important.

If you use ramps to put the bike in or on to the truck make sure you secure the ramps to the truck (so these do not drop off when the bike is on the ramp)

IMG_2523.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hi bmart, sorry this is not an option for me. up here in canada it is -23*C (-10*F), all the streets are icy.
Hi Wald, Nice to learn this. Now I know where I can tie it. Also, do I need a chock or can do without?
Thanks

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Mait said:

Hi bmart, sorry this is not an option for me. up here in canada it is -23*C (-10*F), all the streets are icy.
Hi Wald, Nice to learn this. Now I know where I can tie it. Also, do I need a chock or can do without?
Thanks

Shouldn't you be buying one of these instead of a bike?  😁

tuckersnowcat.jpg

With it tied down on four points like the picture you should be just fine. I rented a motorcycle trailer from Uhaul here in Calgary - $40 for the day. It had a wheel chock built on to the trailer but it really wasn't necessary with the tie down straps.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Mait said:

Thanks

What Wald said. A chock would be insurance but if tied down well for a short trip you can skip it. Congrats on the new bike!

• Member Contributer

Ensure that the two front are pulling forward and the two rear straps are pulling backward. It doesn't take much of an angle, so long as you clear all parts of the bike. My fronts go on soft ties on the grips. My rears go on the rear peg brackets. Note that it the wheel can turn, things can go pear shaped. 

• Member Contributer

This is my 90 purchased over 2 years ago from respected member here, Slovcan, finally on its way to Maine this past Sept.. My job and Covid dragged the whole thing out, but I finally managed to  fulfill the Peoples Republic of Canada's demands for picking it up.

All good advice here before my post, well maybe not the SnowCat,

If there are two of you loading the bike, a chock is not necessary, if its only you, yes its helpful.

No side stand, no centerstand, let the suspension do its job. Preload the forks and shock a bit, and check the straps often.

Where I can, I do not use the hook on the  ratchet straps, but pass the strap through the eye for a 100% lock. see below.

Congrats on the bike!

0903210651_HDR.thumb.jpg.eaad7c9d21904df260e48dc60fe4c424.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've used a bar harness for years to help strap down the front end, keeps everything away from the bodywork. Similar to this -

http://www.canyondancer.com/originalbarharness

Also, obscure regulation - after securing the bike you're required to pat it with your hand several times and say "That's not going anywhere"

• Member Contributer

Thank you, Thank you and Thank you everyone for your precious time and advice. I think now I am good and would be able to bring the bike home.

Archived