Headlight Voltage?? Help ??

Andrew99VFR

• Member Contributer

If that is your 3 stator wires and connector, then it most definitely needs attention. If it was mine I would be cutting and removing the connector then properly solder and sleeve wire to wire.

Have a good look at the R/R output leads and connections. 

Whether this is the cause of your globes blowing, can't be sure but as already mentioned high and fluctuating voltage is not good and as Thumbs has mentioned make sure your headlight grounds are good.

1 hour ago, Grum said:

If that is your 3 stator wires and connector, then it most definitely needs attention. If it was mine I would be cutting and removing the connector then properly solder and sleeve wire to wire.

Have a good look at the R/R output leads and connections. 

Whether this is the cause of your globes blowing, can't be sure but as already mentioned high and fluctuating voltage is not good and as Thumbs has mentioned make sure your headlight grounds are good.

That plug is from my rectifier I think 

3C2CA1BC-2F79-449E-A457-22DB514C35E0.jpeg

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Andrew99VFR said:

I’ve been looking at the wiring and found this

would this cause my headlight problem?

37055257-00C0-4596-9E8A-8679C67737A5.jpeg

That's not good dude...you need to get your charging system up to snuff first before you can work on headlight problems. I see you are running with the "self distructing" OEM R/R too. It's time to plan for an upgrade.

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Andrew99VFR said:

That plug is from my rectifier I think 

3C2CA1BC-2F79-449E-A457-22DB514C35E0.jpeg

That looks like the OEM reg/rec, with the original spec (flat fins).  Honda replaced this model reg/rec with a different one with a curved fin profile, but you'd really be better off upgrading to a MOSFET or series-type reg/rec.  The stator wires appear to be overheated, which could be due to corrosion on the plug terminals, or (when considered along with your bulb-blowing problem) due to the reg/rec outputting excess voltage when hot (or both).  My suggestions:

1. Get a new reg/rec (not the OEM one); they are hard to test because they can sometimes read okay until they get up to a high operating temperature

2. Cut off the stator connector and splice those wires together permanently (which eliminates the corrosion problem), being sure to seal the joints

3. Your battery may very well also have been damaged, from the over-voltage, so load test it or just replace it

4. Check all of the other electrical connectors in the charging system for signs of overheating (clean and slather with dielectric grease to prevent further corrosion)

Ciao,

JZH

Archived