Headlight Voltage?? Help ??

Andrew99VFR

Hi All,

I need some help please, I have a 99/00 model VFR800 (Australian)

My headlight globes keep blowing, I have cleaned and checked both switch blocks.

After replacing the globes (and new battery) I blew High beam. however after traveling 900klm I have no headlights at all.

I tested the voltage at headlight plug and it reads 12.37volts could this be why my globes keep blowing??

I apricate any help and advice.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

In U.S., globes are tested/rated at 12.8v
In R.o.W, gloves are tested/rated at either 13.2 or 13.5v

Measure voltage at actual riding-conditions, 5000rpms+

Also check for mounting issues, vibration will cause filament to break.

• Member Contributer

The high-beam filament itself blows with bike at rest?

Doesn't seem possible to send too much power across @ 12.37v ???

• Member Contributer

Hi Andrew.

You need to check what your charging voltage is, engine running! 

With engine running, what is the voltage across the battery at idle and 5000rpm? Check this from a cold start and when your bike is fully warmed up.

A faulty R/R can cause excessive voltages above 15v this can cause lights to blow, along with cooking your battery and worse case, destroying your ECM!

A globe will prematurely blow from either excessive vibration or excessive voltage. You can also purchase long life ruggedised types better suited to the vibration levels of a motorcycle.

What globes have you been using?

• Member Contributer

If you don’t have one attach/mount a digital volt meter, monitor actual readings @ battery while running or even shut off. Running shouldn’t exceed 14.5-14.9, also some less $”aftermarket” bulbs don’t last worth a damn. Honda parts are way more durable, even though they’re shockingly costly...

1 hour ago, Grum said:

Hi Andrew.

You need to check what your charging voltage is, engine running! 

With engine running, what is the voltage across the battery at idle and 5000rpm? Check this from a cold start and when your bike is fully warmed up.

A faulty R/R can cause excessive voltages above 15v this can cause lights to blow, along with cooking your battery and worse case, destroying your ECM!

A globe will prematurely blow from either excessive vibration or excessive voltage. You can also purchase long life ruggedised types better suited to the vibration levels of a motorcycle.

What globes have you been using?

The globes are 45/45 Honda Dealership, battery sits around 14.6 volt at 5000rpm plus

• Member Contributer

Also check voltage with AC setting. Failing RR may not fully rectify & regulate down to DC. Some high-voltage AC +60v may be sneaking through. What you're measuring here is ripple.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Andrew99VFR said:

The globes are 45/45 Honda Dealership, battery sits around 14.6 volt at 5000rpm plus

Can you go into a bit more detail about the globes. Part number, what brand, and base type which will probably be either a P43T-65 or Honda specific PX43T.

Sorry I don't own a 5gen. But the owners book I have for a 1998 U version being the Australian model, states a 60/55w globe!

Are you absolutely sure you are fitting the right globes?

Provided your DC voltage doesn't jump randomly above what you've stated and as Danno mentioned, you are not measuring any nasty AC voltage at the battery then you shouldn't be blowing both filaments of both globes!

I wonder if you have possibly been supplied a very sub standard quality of globe?

• Member Contributer

Substandard globe. Doesn't that just tie up the daily news in a nutshell!

VFR 5th Gen gets these:

Tail lights Sylvania Zevo Super Bright Red 7443R LED fins 12v .4W/1.5W

Headlights H4 with the two tabs cut off. 

1 hour ago, Grum said:

Can you go into a bit more detail about the globes. Part number and base type which will probably be either a P43T-65 or Honda specific PX43T.

Sorry I don't own a 5gen. But the owners book I have for a 1998 U version being the Australian model, states a 60/55w globe!

Are you absolutely sure you are fitting the right globes?

Provided your DC voltage doesn't jump randomly above what you've stated and as Danno mentioned, you are not measuring any nasty AC voltage at the battery then you shouldn't be blowing both filaments of both globes!

I wonder if you possibly have been supplied a very sub standard quality of globe?

The globes are 45/45w 12v, apparently Honda use a special light globe for this model.

• Member Contributer

Your charging voltage is fine, anything from 13.5v to 14.5v is good.

These M.C.S. globes could be made anywhere, might be a Chinese cheapy who knows?

As mentioned try a pair of good quality long life H4's.

As a replacement of the OEM, I've previously used Philips Long Life Eco Vision H4's 60/55w on my 6gens, not had one of these blow.

Use some tin snips to cut two tabs or bend them back to suite as suggested by bmart.

Make sure the socket connectors are making good gripping contact to the globe contacts.

20211214_180003.jpg

3 hours ago, Grum said:

These M.C.S. globes could be made anywhere, might be a Chinese cheapy who knows?

As a replacement of the OEM, I've previously used Philips Long Life Eco Vision H4's 60/55w on my 6gens, not had one of these blow.

Use some tin snips to cut two tabs or bend them back to suite as suggested by bmart.

Make sure the socket connectors are making good gripping contact to the globe contacts.

20211214_180003.jpg

Would the diff end wattage damage my headlight lens?

• Member Contributer

Regulator/Rectifier units can fail and go either high or low voltage, often after a few miles as they heat up. If it is failing high voltage, it will be blowing both headlight and tail light bulbs if you ride with the lights on. The best way of protecting yourself is to fit a battery status monitor, either a multi coloured LED type which changes colour with voltage, or a LED voltmeter. Oh, might be obvious, but dont touch the glass of the bulb with your bare fingers when you are fitting it.

4 hours ago, Viffy said:

Regulator/Rectifier units can fail and go either high or low voltage, often after a few miles as they heat up. If it is failing high voltage, it will be blowing both headlight and tail light bulbs if you ride with the lights on. The best way of protecting yourself is to fit a battery status monitor, either a multi coloured LED type which changes colour with voltage, or a LED voltmeter. Oh, might be obvious, but dont touch the glass of the bulb with your bare fingers when you are fitting it.

I only seem to be blowing the headlights 

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, Andrew99VFR said:

I only seem to be blowing the headlights 

Have you tried a separate earth wire to the chassis earth?

That seems to be the only difference in the circuits

• Member Contributer

After seeing that packaging, it very well could be substandard globes. Only use top-quality bulbs in your bike such as Flösser, Narva, Osram, Philips, Toshiba, Vosla. Shame on Honda for creating proprietary H4 variation, this has probably created whole niche aftermarket for vendors selling "compatible" crap bulbs to unsuspecting owners who don't wish to pay Honda's prices. Best bet is to get high-quality H4 bulb and modify base to fit. 

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, bmart said:

Substandard globe. Doesn't that just tie up the daily news in a nutshell!

VFR 5th Gen gets these:

Tail lights Sylvania Zevo Super Bright Red 7443R LED fins 12v .4W/1.5W

Headlights H4 with the two tabs cut off. 

17 hours ago, Grum said:

20211214_180003.jpg

What these guys said.

Was blowing bulbs about every 1,00 miles or so. I do not live anywhere remotely near to a Honda dealer, so it was a pain to source, no idea why they needed "bespoke" bulbs anyway.

Finally at 0430 am one morning as I started the bike to head south one of my bulbs blew again. Thinking it was a connection I played around with the bulb, no luck closer inspection showed a burned filament. As I was going for about 12 days I was in no mood to delay, so I grabbed an H4 I had for one of the cars. Thought I was going to have to bodge it with duct tape, glue whatever, until I looked at the respective patterns. IIRC I bent two of the tabs back and forth until they broke, the bulb fit perfectly, with minor adjustments. 

I bought another H4 enroute. The right side has 40+k on it, the left 37K  since replacement.

For the record, they were bog standard Slyvannia car bulbs in a 97VFR.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Andrew99VFR said:

Do I just cut and shut or splice another wire into the loop?

As a test I’d just put a piece of cable between the headlight earth and the frame 

Archived