Quick Poll: Are you using Chain Lube or Chain Paste?

VFR80025th

I've been using Motul chain lube since my dearly departed RWB. I've continued the same with my 8th gen VFR.

I've pondered shifting to chain paste but wonder if the paste can penetrate as well as the lube.

I use Motul lube and don't have any issues with fling.

What do you guys use and prefer?

Happy holidays!

• Member Contributer

Modern chains don't need anything penetrating the o-rings, just the grime on the chain surface (think degreaser). They prefer to run clean and they're sealed from the factory and you want them to stay that way.

I've used WD-40 or PB Blaster for many years with superb results both in wear and lifetime. I've recently used Maxima cleaner and lube just because my friends' chains looked more shiny than mine...but no variation in results, just cost of cleaners. 

The street bikes seem to get to a point where they're wearing unevenly at end of life. The track bikes start to throw rollers. 

20211024_223953.thumb.jpg.32c3487145de06c58f0d9e1e43532abf.jpg

• Member Contributer

A year ago or so, on VFRD BLS recommended Motul Paste, been meaning to try it--doesn't fling.

But more importantly, just keep the chain CLEAN, and lube sparingly every ~500 miles --just so the metal-to-metal, roller-to-sprocket, has a little film.

bmart you are 100% correct IMO. The O or X rings don't need lube because they are sealed.

Ari Henning has several great videos on chain maintenance and lubing. Keep it clean, lube sparingly, and you get 20,000 miles from a chain.

• Member Contributer

I like the ProHonda HP chain lube, been using for years. Has Teflon and Moly, dries with no sling, keeps the chain clean. Wouldnt mind trying the Motul Paste....  In general, hate chain waxes, it just attracts dirt to stick to the chain, and is a goey mess. 

To each his own, but PB Blaster? Not me....  

Lessee.... best oil, tires, brake fluid, batterys, chain lube..... beer.... :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Maxima Chain Wax, sparingly.  Dust is the enemy down here in the SouthWest.  I apply the chain wax after a ride and let it dry.  Very little fling, runs clean, attracts very little dust. 

• Member Contributer

For me, S100 synthetic chain lube (since it came out in the 80ties). Unfortunately,  only available in Europe and cannot purchase in the US. As I am on the last drops, I will try Honda gear oil after watching Ryan F9  YouTube on chain lube.

• Member Contributer

Results on Maxima cleaner/lube look nicer than WD. Truly, they've never looked nicer. All on old chains.

20210906_154405.thumb.jpg.e2a1e00b9e0a7fcbec918f6556ce1eef.jpg

20210706_170947.thumb.jpg.3f8a90cd87d3148f4c93b9744a41c824.jpg

20210906_154348.thumb.jpg.2f5fd3f20b98a7a1574d0827223d65cd.jpg

561088247_20211030_170025sm.jpg.5340a262cb10954cf7593ab4e25a2059.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hawke Oiler and 140/70 gear lube. Changed the last chain with 25,000 miles on it. It probably had another few thousand miles left in it, but I wanted to

try the 520 conversion. Running the DID 520 chain, 17 tooth countershaft, and 45 rear sprocket. Actually feels pretty good.

Tried chain wax years ago on one bike or another, and had lousy results, but that was a long time ago. The formula has prolly been changed for the better.

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, bmart said:

Results on Maxima cleaner/lube look nicer than WD. Truly, they've never looked nicer. All on old ch

Wow, this looks really good, I will have to rethink the gear oil approach. Thanks for sharing.

• Member Contributer

I must be seeing things... In that 2nd pic, it looks like the inner sprocket teeth aren't meshed with the spindle coming out of the transmission...

edit: sorry, was referring to bmart's photos right above

• Member Contributer

Your eyes are fine! I was wondering any anyone noticed. 🙂

One of the track bikes lost the locking washer and the nut spun off in the final turn at VIR South this year. Never seen that happen before. I torque everything!

11 hours ago, bmart said:

Your eyes are fine! I was wondering any anyone noticed. 🙂

One of the track bikes lost the locking washer and the nut spun off in the final turn at VIR South this year. Never seen that happen before. I torque everything!

I used to run an '05 R6 at the track (I see your sig shows an '03). Came in after my last session of the day, noticed the front sprocket nut and washer were gone. Fortunately it was my last session. Looked into this and found that it was not unheard of for this gen of R6 (I also torque everything but had recently acquired the bike and did not check this sprocket, lesson learned :biggrin:). Installed new nut and tabbed washer then torqued, added vibratite and safety wire prior to next outing. Apologies for the hijack.

ACE

None of the above;

20181021.jpg.7ce59832e6bb956348f664a08f6cdffc.jpg

The Ol'Battlestar burns oil, so I tube the hot crankcase fumes to the chain, haven't lubed it in years,,.. though it gets thirsty for lots of 15w40.

• Member Contributer

Believe it or not, but I had a 1971 Triumph Bonneville, and the crankcase breather tube terminated just above the rear sprocket. Did a right nice job

of lubing the chain. You're in good company. 🙂

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Philois1984 said:

Motul chain lube, 39,000km on original chain, still going strong.

Wow, what is the chain made of? Unobtanium? 👍

• Member Contributer

FWIW I use Maxima chain wax.

To be honest, I think the choice of chain is more important in the end.

Just my .02 cents

Archived