The future of motorcycling

Kbear

• Member Contributer

"Elon's Bar, where unicorns always drink free."

Not a social commentary, it just popped in my head.

Where I live (Edmonds, a little north of Seattle, but not the same county) and my commute, I am an IDEAL candidate.  It is attractive.  Until I think of all the SWEET vehicles I could buy for the price of one electric car or bike.  I love technology and stay current on progress, but I have never been an early adapter.  Shit, look at my user name.  Until gas goes way up, or desirable electric vehicle prices go way down, I'm very content.  

Regardless of GM's woes of late, their early design of using a small ICE to produce power to recharge batteries, and not provide power directly to the drive train, is really smart.  The engine can run at optimal efficiency, be pretty clean, packaged nicely, and greatly reduce range anxiety.  I thought it was the best application of "hybrid".

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
38 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Regardless of GM's woes of late, their early design of using a small ICE to produce power to recharge batteries, and not provide power directly to the drive train, is really smart.  The

Yes, this would be the best solution. Actually, Peugeot in France built this concept in early 2000 using  small 3 cylinder diesel engine, I believe around 800cc, running under constant load, charging the batteries which were powering the e-motors. They were stating approx. 114 gpm in a compact class vehicle (Peugeot 205) I was hoping this would go into production but it was shelved as the government did not mandate the fuel economy regulations yet.

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Wald said:

Yes, this would be the best solution. Actually, Peugeot in France built this concept in early 2000 using  small 3 cylinder diesel engine, I believe around 800cc, running under constant load, charging the batteries which were powering the e-motors. They were stating approx. 114 gpm in a compact class vehicle (Peugeot 205) I was hoping this would go into production but it was shelved as the government did not mandate the fuel economy regulations yet.

Top Gear did an excellent, investigative and innovative project many years ago to make a hybrid car. Worth a watch.

Top Gear

Archived