The future of motorcycling

Kbear

Watched this video last night. Pretty interesting take on motorcycling’s future. Now, Stuart discusses the issues confronting motorcyclist in England, but you know if it happens there, it could very well happen here. Pretty scary stuff indeed. Now, the BMF is like the AMA here in the US and I don’t know if the AMA would do what he says the BMF did to motorcyclists in the UK, but you never know. Feel sorry for you guys who like to modify your bikes. If you’ve got 30 minutes you can set aside, you should really listen to what Stuart is talking about. Personally, I don’t see me riding an electric motorcycle. Love the story about the young man with a Beetle that had the safe driver installed in his bug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS2Kq_qzl-A

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Maybe a few bullet points so that folks can decide to watch or not?

• Member Contributer

Plenty of states in the US talking about the same thing.  All for the fantasy that CO2 at less than 1% of the atmosphere can do what O2 and N2, which together are around 98% of the atmosphere cannot.  This is all for the benefit of billionaires who are positioning themselves to cash in on cramming battery vehicles down our throat.  Check out the World Economic Forum - that's the source of it all.  Like everything else, follow the money.   I work in the financial services industry, and they are *salivating* at the prospect of this, and already lining up their investments to lap at the trough of public waste that surrounds this - I see it every day at work.   Is the climate changing?  Most probably yes - it's done it millions of times (let's see, how the Ice Age ended - maybe??)  and will do it millions of times after humanity is gone.  This has everything to do with money and who's going to make it - the race to be the 1st Trillionaire - Musk is well on his way profiting from this and being that person.  The Great Reset, as it's called.  Check it out.  The future of motorcycling?  For me there is none.  When I can go 100 miles and then need to sit for hours - that is, if I can find a place in the middle of nowhere to do that, to re-charge, I'm done.  Motorcycling will likely continue to fade as an activity.  It will probably survive in places around urban areas, but for the purposes of seeing the backroads it likely won't.  My philosophy is ride 'em as much as you can, while you can, because soon, you won't.  A sad day for everyone.    :sad:

• Member Contributer

Just an opinionated piece. 

There was nothing under the radar, as he claims, about the announcement earlier this year of the banning of sales of new petrol and diesel powered vehicles by 2035 in the UK. 

Everyone likes a good conspiracy these days.    Brits just need to be more like their treasonous bastard american cousins, civil wars, assassinations and the fact there are more guns than people in the U.S. has chilling effect on any mandates.    Roughly 30% of americans are not vaccinated so the more likely scenario is an elongated deadly pandemic globally will be the thing limiting travel.    

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Plenty of states in the US talking about the same thing.  All for the fantasy that CO2 at less than 1% of the atmosphere can do what O2 and N2, which together are around 98% of the atmosphere cannot.  This is all for the benefit of billionaires who are positioning themselves to cash in on cramming battery vehicles down our throat.  Check out the World Economic Forum - that's the source of it all.  Like everything else, follow the money.   I work in the financial services industry, and they are *salivating* at the prospect of this, and already lining up their investments to lap at the trough of public waste that surrounds this - I see it every day at work.   Is the climate changing?  Most probably yes - it's done it millions of times (let's see, how the Ice Age ended - maybe??)  and will do it millions of times after humanity is gone.  This has everything to do with money and who's going to make it - the race to be the 1st Trillionaire - Musk is well on his way profiting from this and being that person.  The Great Reset, as it's called.  Check it out.  The future of motorcycling?  For me there is none.  When I can go 100 miles and then need to sit for hours - that is, if I can find a place in the middle of nowhere to do that, to re-charge, I'm done.  Motorcycling will likely continue to fade as an activity.  It will probably survive in places around urban areas, but for the purposes of seeing the backroads it likely won't.  My philosophy is ride 'em as much as you can, while you can, because soon, you won't.  A sad day for everyone.    :sad:

THE most accurate and worthwhile post I’ve read on ANY forum forum, in years. 

• Member Contributer

I'm actually looking forward to electric bikes. Once they have universally exchangeable battery packs for fast refills. Electric bikes may be savior of Laguna Seca.

Seriously looking at building electric track-bike in 250-lbs range with 70-90bhp. It would save tonnes of weigh using small battery-pack that only lasts 21-min/40-miles. Then I would pit after each session and swap in another battery-pack that had been charging.

We're in the middle of the electric vehicle revolution. It's a little painful, especially for those who don't like change, which is most of us. Charging infrastructure is evolving, battery tech is getting better every year. Currently we're nowhere near for the e-bikes to compete with the gas bikes in terms of range and touring capabilities, but it will get there. 

I am going to say not to worry about the motorcycling future-everything is going to be ok. Your precious V4s are going to be obsolete with any other gas-powered engine. Some are going to cry big tears about it, and I get it. Know that the future kids are going to look at our "modern" bikes some day and think the same way we currently thinking of the horse and a buggy (I'm sure people back then appreciated the smell of the horse shit). 

All I can say is embrace the future. I don't think electric vehicles are going to solve our environmental issues but I am very positive they will become better tools than gas-powered ones.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, LEGEND said:

Everyone likes a good conspiracy these days.    Brits just need to be more like their treasonous bastard american cousins, civil wars, assassinations and the fact there are more guns than people in the U.S. has chilling effect on any mandates.    Roughly 30% of americans are not vaccinated so the more likely scenario is an elongated deadly pandemic globally will be the thing limiting travel.    

What?

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Cogswell said:

That is an incredibly sad view of things. I don't see it this way at all. Musk is one of few trying to save humans and humanity. We could do with a lot more of him. It doesn't take hours to charge anything anymore. Read up! Electric produces all torque, all of the time. It is sublime. They can make it sound like anything you like, in a much less complex to design, build, maintain, enjoy package. I love my gas powered vehicles, but the fossil fuel ship is sinking and folks who stay on it...well...they better have fuel friendly scuba gear. lol

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Tiutis said:

We're in the middle of the electric vehicle revolution. It's a little painful, especially for those who don't like change, which is most of us. Charging infrastructure is evolving, battery tech is getting better every year. Currently we're nowhere near for the e-bikes to compete with the gas bikes in terms of range and touring capabilities, but it will get there. 

I am going to say not to worry about the motorcycling future-everything is going to be ok. Your precious V4s are going to be obsolete with any other gas-powered engine. Some are going to cry big tears about it, and I get it. Know that the future kids are going to look at our "modern" bikes some day and think the same way we currently thinking of the horse and a buggy (I'm sure people back then appreciated the smell of the horse shit). 

All I can say is embrace the future. I don't think electric vehicles are going to solve our environmental issues but I am very positive they will become better tools than gas-powered ones.

The first electric car was built in 1890. 130 years later, it’s still not practical. I can’t think of any technical thing humanity has worked on for 130 years and still has not solved.

Solar, E-vehicles, and wind power are all the same. The people I know in those industries are all accumulating wealth, so long as US government administrations continue to fund them. Without government funding, those industries fail, because they’re not feasible ideas. It’s all a game and I refuse to drink the Kool-Aid. 

• Member Contributer

Geez guys, c'mon. It's the end of the world--again?

We will be able to keep our ICE bikes for as long as we can maintain them, and the next generations really won't care if they don't get to enjoy shifting or changing spark plugs. 

• Member Contributer

I concur 100% with Cogswell's statement, and especially this nugget:  "This is all for the benefit of billionaires who are positioning themselves to cash in on cramming battery vehicles down our throat."  No one is allowed to talk about a couple little details:  how is that electricity made?  What happens when a battery is thrown away? 

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, 3rdbike said:

I concur 100% with Cogswell's statement, and especially this nugget:  "This is all for the benefit of billionaires who are positioning themselves to cash in on cramming battery vehicles down our throat."  No one is allowed to talk about a couple little details:  how is that electricity made?  What happens when a battery is thrown away? 

Yep. Just like wind turbine blades that are replaced every 3-4 years and go to landfills, because they’re not recyclable. 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, ducnut said:

Yep. Just like wind turbine blades that are replaced every 3-4 years and go to landfills, because they’re not recyclable. 

I thought they had a 20-25 year life. 🤷‍♂️

• Member Contributer

That depends on how much turbine violence they commit against wildlife. 

• Member Contributer

I think you will find a combination of factors coming together over time.

Like the current surge in secondhand prices due to the lack of sales of new vehicles over the last 2 years to back fill the losses from scrapped vehicles. Prices for secondhand ICE bikes  will increase once the sale of new ones is banned. They will stay in demand for as long as fuel is available at reasonable cost.

This explains the proposed bans on modifying your own property. By killing the aftermarket then keeping ICE bikes running will become much harder.

Personally I'm convinced the whole global warming scam is political cover for peak oil. If they told the public oil was running out there would be panic, so saving the planet makes them feel good.

The only way to increase economic activity if killing off oil, is to stage its replacement. Agreed a load of companies are lined up to fleece you. When electric cars are cheaper to make than ICE, why are they LOTS more expensive ? Hmmmm ? 

Just call be an old conspiracist but the whole thing smells of the Bildeburger's Global plan to keep themselves rich.  The world will soon return to surfdom. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Skids said:

I thought they had a 20-25 year life. 🤷‍♂️

I was trying to remember who published the article, but, it was stating they were only realizing an average of 3-1/2yr lifespan. I’m sure, there are a load of factors coming into play. Also, I imagine, the units are heavily instrumented and components are taken out of service long before failure. 

Recently, I’d read where one landfill had absorbed ~1000 blades in 6mos (such a “green” energy source 🙄).That’s not sustainable, if looking at every facility who accept them, around the world. It’s simply too much volume. 

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

The real decline in the world is replacing proper education and science with whatever can be found on the internet.

If only proper/formal education were effective and not full of its own indoctrination and BS. 

• Member Contributer

"These are dangerous times. Never have so many people had access to so much knowledge, and yet been so resistant to learning anything."

— Tom Nichols, The Death of Expertise.

• Member Contributer

Believe me...that book is as quotable as Princess Bride. I never thought I'd see the ddays we're living in. I work in this every day. Looked up on YouTube...now I teach others because I'm the expert. Same folks who can't read a map. 

My only real problem with electrification is the lack of manual gearboxes.  No need to shift an EV, which is one reason I haven't considered buying one.

"But the instant torque," people will say.  Whatever.  I've never been into drag racing or pure speed.  I have more fun rowing my own gears and going fast in the corners, and ICE are fine for that.

I can't see new ICE vehicles being banned here in the US, or at least not for a couple more generations.  The auto industry lobby is too powerful to allow the government to ban the sale of gas- and diesel-powered cars and trucks.  Yes, it could happen, but I don't think we'll see that for many years, probably long after we're all dead.  And even then, it would only apply to new vehicle sales, not existing cars, trucks, and motorcycles.

All that being said, EVs are the future, whether we like it or not.  The infrastructure is being gradually built, range is improving (in cars and trucks anyway), and prices for new EVs are now affordable for the average consumer.

Archived