traction control light on

Laraza66

I'm hoping someone can help.

I wheeled my bike backwards with the ignition on but the engine not running.

The traction control and engine management lights are now both on all the time.

I've disconnected the battery, run it for about 100 miles and turned the ignition on and off a number of times, all to no avail.

Any ideas on how I reset the TC or sort this out without a visit to the local stealer?

• Member Contributer

Theres a red plug under the seat with a dummy cover over it. This is the diagnostic connector. You can bridge two pins, it puts the bike into diagnostic mode when you turn it on. Its crude, but shows you by flashing lights in the dash what the error codes are. You can also clear stored codes using this plug. Its up to you whether you do it youself, or sweet talk the dealer into resetting it. After saying that, it does sound a bit odd and it possibly might be a real fault ? I ran mine on the centre stand, and that makes the abs light flash after subsequent starting, I cleared that using the diagnostic link. Search for SCS connector on that auction site if you want to buy one.

• Member Contributer

This is strange! Simply walking your bike backwards with Ignition to On should cause no permanent issue whatsoever!

Have you tried riding with TC switched off for a while to see if that resets anything.

If your Engine Management light is ON, then with your bike stationary and the Sidestand Down, Kill Switch to Run, Ignition to On. It should be flashing a fault code, Does this happen?

Have you confirmed that the ABS system is working normally?

You could also carefully try a little hard acceleration on a dirt road to see if TC is actually working or not, you should certainly feel and hear the change in power if the system detects a slipping rear wheel.

Check that there is no damage to both front and rear Speed sensors and the Speed sensor rings. Actually, if your speedo is working then that at least confirms there's no issue with the rear wheel speed sensing (assuming the 8 and 7gen speed detection is the same).

• 1 month later...

Sorry for not having come back on this before, moved to Spain and it's a bit hectic, but sunny! 😎

Turns out the fault is related to the battery (don't ask me why or how), new battery, no more issues 🤨

Thanks for the suggestions guys 👍

• Member Contributer

Glad its sorted, thanks for the update.

Appears the 7gen is very susceptible to battery voltage.

I know that if the ABS light flashes rapidly after engine start that this can also be caused by a failing battery.

Archived