I sold my panniers: Buyer wants to make a duplicate of my ignition key.

VFR80025th

HI Guys need your advice

I sold my white panniers  that came with my 2014 VFR 800. I never use them or intend to.

Buyer is driving over 4 hrs to get to me and is using them on a VFR 1200.

He plans on painting them red for his bike.

My question: He said he plans on buying new locks for the bags but asked me if he can make a duplicate of my key (he would bring a blank)

so that he can open the bags til then.

How do you guys feel about that. I want to help him out but he would have a copy of my ignition key.

I don't know how I feel about that.

I would prefer to give him the bags opened and he can take care of the rest o his own

What do you guys think?

Thxs

• Member Contributer

If they will latch without locking, I wouldn't give him a key.  Tell him it is to protect him as much as anything because if your bike is ever stolen, he would be the OPP's #1 suspect.  Even if they won't latch without locking, I don't think I would.

• Member Contributer

Swapping the (GIVI made) locks on 6th Gen cases is a piece of cake....  Dunno if they are with your model but it should be fairly easy with the case open.

And no, I would not give him a copy of my ignition key.

If that means the sale falls through, so be it.

• Member Contributer

Don't the locks have the key numbers on them?  Nothing stopping him from getting your "ignition key" made, even without the number.  Someone who drives 4 hours for some hard bags is not casing your joint.  And if you meet him somewhere, he doesn't even have your address.  Make his life easy for a while. 

• Member Contributer
30 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Don't the locks have the key numbers on them?  

Good point. 

They are blank lock bodies.  You key them yourself.  The key number is not engraved in them.

He's not going to steal your bike.

But you can pop the lock bodies out for him, and he can re-key them.  It's cheap and easy.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Sparkie said:

They are blanks lock bodies.  You key them yourself.  The key number is not engraved in them.

He's not going to steal your bike.

But you can pop the lock bodies out for him, and he can re-key them.  It's cheap and easy.

THIS^^^^^^^

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I'll be a good samaritine and meet him at the local Homehardware near my house and we'll exchange the bags there and he can make a duplicate key with his blank.

Heres how to get at the locks.  

My suggestion would be to remove the locks for him.  Making a copy of the key is not needed if the locks are out.  He can re-use your lock insert, and just needs to order and install the pins this way.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Sparkie said:

Heres how to get at the locks.  

My suggestion would be to remove the locks for him.  Making a copy of the key is not needed if the locks are out.  He can re-use your lock insert, and just needs to order and install the pins this way.

Exactly.  This is the best option for both the buyer and the seller.  The buyer will then be able to have a set that uses the same key as the bike.  

Archived