Last ride of the season (probably).

• Member Contributer
On 11/22/2021 at 7:56 PM, squirrelman said:

that's right ! acid in old oil can eat bearings. i've seen it in person.

^ That happened on my bosses Harley, welded the cams to the bearings/journals. It was a chopper style custom bike, built buy some guy in his garage, I assume it was running pig rich, and he never rode it very far. Then it sat for almost 10 years, and it never turned over again, so he gave it away. 

Then you see these guys on tv finding 70+ year old bikes in a barn, and fire it up on the original oil.... ??? (Maybe they just don't show the oil change on tv?)

• Member Contributer

I had that happen to my Z-1 back before I knew better. Found the bearings in bad shape when I took the cams out for some reason and luckily there were replaceable bearings that the cams ran in. Started running synthetic oil shortly there after too.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, RC1237V said:

^ That happened on my bosses Harley, welded the cams to the bearings/journals. It was a chopper style custom bike, built buy some guy in his garage, I assume it was running pig rich, and he never rode it very far. Then it sat for almost 10 years, and it never turned over again, so he gave it away. 

Then you see these guys on tv finding 70+ year old bikes in a barn, and fire it up on the original oil.... ??? (Maybe they just don't show the oil change on tv?)

Depends on how many miles were on that oil before it was last shut down.  But yeah they probably do change the oil or at least check it.  

• Member Contributer

This one stood idle (in a dry garage) for 5 years. Prior to committing $$$ to refurbih, I wanted to see if she'd run at all. Checked the oil (level, color and any smell of gasoline).

Cranked a few times without actually starting the engine and then.......

I tend to go one extreme or the other with my motorcycle oil. For less expense I go with Rotella T4 15w40, or If I want a synthetic full ester hi-po oil (read as more expensive), I go with Silkolene Pro 4 15w50. 😃

Archived