Rear shock upgrade VFR1200F

Rolff

Question

My dearly loved 2015 VFR1200F now has 86,000 kms up (53,000 miles) and the stock rear shock has gradually run out of preload and damping. What options are there? Ohlins, Niton, any others? And recommendations or warnings?

I'm in Australia, do a lot of high speed sporty touring and the odd track day (Phillip Island). I'm 95kg and ride the bike fairly hard. Best bike I've ever owned.

Maybe I screwed the search up, but couldn't find anything relevant here.

5 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

You may not have lost damping..... however, a little tip from ST1300 and Goldwing......

The preload adjuster is hydraulic and can lose fluid over time, essentially turn the knob and nothing happens for a few turns or all the way.  Remove shock and preload adjuster hose, refill the shock preload with hydraulic oil/fork oil.  Disassemble the preload knob, etc.  fill that as well, while the hose is loosely attached to the shock, essentially bleeding it so no air in it..... snug that up once done, top up the knob end, reassemble...... the totally anal would add some preload and keep the knob end up a few hours/overnight, top up as necessary next day as the air (if any) will have migrated to the top....  you have nothing to lose but your time.

• Member Contributer

If you’re happy with the OEM shocks performance then getting it rebuilt should cost about £150-200 …

• Member Contributer

I had a Wilbers shock fitted and along with new fork internals it is the best money I have spent on my 1200 so after 53k miles, I'd expect your suspension to be long overdue some attention, especially as you use it on the track too.

• Member Contributer

Put the Ohlins on mine, purchased from Kyle Racing, and couldn't be happier.

Also had the forks rebuilt by DMr on the VFR list, with both ends sorted, the bike is much better! 

There must be a good suspension tuner somewhere in Australia...

Thanks! Ohlins may indeed be the final solution for the rear tho they are pricey. I've been mightily impressed by the VFR12 stock front end with routine maintenance. I keep it fairly stiff to guard against our crap roads. I find handling and agility outstanding for such a big bike.

Archived