1994 VFR (4th Gen) - Starter engagement issues when warm starting

• Member Contributer
On 11/21/2021 at 5:46 AM, JZH said:

Well, unless it looks like this:

1296425261_RC36Starterclutch--cracked-1.JPG.80cab8a24c2533fa2bdf01c74bf363ef.JPG

That's the only pic I could find quickly, but I've seen them with cracks in all three places.

Ciao,

JZH

This thread from the recent past has some photos of a seriously grenaded starter clutch, below . . .  not sure if that's been ruled out by now.  The OP began another thread looking for a replacement for his '86, but I don't recall seeing the outcome if one was ever posted.  Hopefully that's not the issue in this case. 

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/99151-86-vfr750-changed-starter-clutch-now-bike-just-backfires-and-wont-run/#comment-1128681

IMG_7621.jpg

• Member Contributer

That's more like what I was looking for in my pics folder.  I think we can file it under "design flaw"...

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

For older models where these are NLA, a good machine shop could possibly replicate it, maybe with better material.  We have just a shop locally who will take on these one off type projects and has made some items for me.  It's not cheap,  but you get what you need to get on the road. 

• Member Contributer
On 11/23/2021 at 12:56 PM, Cogswell said:

This thread from the recent past has some photos of a seriously grenaded starter clutch, below . . .  not sure if that's been ruled out by now.  The OP began another thread looking for a replacement for his '86, but I don't recall seeing the outcome if one was ever posted.  Hopefully that's not the issue in this case. 

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/99151-86-vfr750-changed-starter-clutch-now-bike-just-backfires-and-wont-run/#comment-1128681

IMG_7621.jpg

My 86 made some horrible clattery clacking noises so I pulled my starter clutch expecting this. Actually...not a mark or crack on it at 106000km, even the rollers and weights looked like new. Just the springs looked a bit packed down, so I replaced those. 

Oooh that's nasty. In any case, my friend is able to take a look/fix in a few weeks time. We will see what's going on in there.

Thanks again guys. I hope not to have wasted your time. It was looking like something I'd tackle myself or take elsewhere. Forearmed is forewarned kind of thing. Now that I can place it in trusted and more than capable hands again, I am at some ease. If I can be there and help as it is worked on, that might be a good thing.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, WestOfBen said:

Thanks again guys. I hope not to have wasted your time.

Never a waste of time - helping each other is what this forum is about.  I try to chip in with sharing my stupid repair / mod blunders . . . !  🤪  LOL

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem with starting my VFR750F from 1992. It used to happen very rarely for the starter clutch to not engage, sometimes I could hear some metallic noises. But it was always starting on the next spin so I didn't bother about it too much. Recently it got much worse even though I didn't use the bike last year. Just starting the engine once a week to keep it going. Today morning it did not engage the clutch and no metallic noises. I recorded it on the video below. After putting 1st gear and moving the bike slightly forward, it started without problems. Maybe it's not the clutch itself but some problems with gears on the starter motor? Thanks for any help.

• Member Contributer

If your starter motor's brushes look like this.....

IMG_20190614_131630.thumb.jpg.4cd9937f62a72fe3685f5e43874d3fbf.jpg

IMG_20190614_135239.thumb.jpg.857593f8e0623380b42f191a122e17d8.jpg

You will get start/no start symptons alright....

To open the starter motor, do use a JIS screwdriver.....   

A previous ownner did not do this

IMG_20190614_130856.thumb.jpg.c9ff376e46dd38f35dca976b5c4e4b40.jpg

But if there is a will there is a tool... 🙂

IMG-20190614-WA0006.thumb.jpeg.3d00f42a660ebcb635845679af349bb0.jpeg

I ended up buying a 2nd hand one.

• Member Contributer

Your starter motor is spinning, but the sprague clutch isn't engaging the engine. Time to take the cover off and do an inspection.

• Member Contributer

Just to be clear, the parts you are spinning aren't the starter clutch. It is to the left and slightly above those gears. Search on youtube as I know there are several videos related to it.

Thanks for the help. I've removed the starter clutch and disassembled it. The clutch outer doesn't have any cracks but the roller seats are slightly worn.

The springs are odd and looks suspicious.

20220123_192714.jpg

20220123_192908.jpg

• Member Contributer

I would put new springs in as that one is quite a bit shorter than the other 2. I have also seen where it was recommended to rough up the area where the rollers contact or some such. It wasn't much that needed to be done, but worked well. I'm not sure where to point you to for the info. It also looks like it would be good to put new spring caps and rollers in as well. If you have no cracks then that would be kind of a rebuild of the clutch.

Thanks, I just ordered a repair kit by Tourmax that includes the springs, cups and rollers.

Edit: I fixed it! After fitting new springs, rollers and caps the problem is gone. The bike starts now every time without any issues.

• 4 months later...

And the author of the thread never replied what it was but it had same symptoms as I have now, hot starts, like weak battery or starter motor problems.

My thread

I guess in the end I will check the starter clutch and replace the springs in the winter.

Archived