Gen 6 Noise and Pulling Away Issue

PlentyMech

Afternoon all, I’ll probably butcher this description but hopefully someone may recognise what the issue or issues could be.

This has happened only about 7-8 times over 100s of rides but when pulling away from a standstill but after about 3-10 minutes of riding (never from starting off from cold), as I’m releasing the clutch and get to the biting point the bike suddenly gives a little shunt forward and I hear a grating noise just for half a second and the brief surge forward is enough to make me lurch backwards and instinctively snap the throttle shut which has led to a couple of hairy moments especially when pulling away and turning at the same time. When it happens it only happens once and hard as I try, I can’t get it to do it on command and have never had it happen once on the bike for over 10 minutes or so.

Could this be something tied to the pull away assist feature or the clutch giving up? When I got the bike, I wasn’t aware of the pull away assist and the previous owner had aftermarket levers that I found didn’t engage the micro switch so I made up something and bonded it to the level so it would engage the switch and I know it’s working as can start the bike with it in gear and the clutch pulled in.

Another issue or it may be related to the above problem is when the bike starts and the weathers warm, there is a knocking sound from the top of the cylinders. When its colder weather you hear it only when the idle speed reduces after the fast idle wax unit has done its job. I suspected it’s the cam chain tensioner/s needing to be replaced but interestingly the noise stops when I pull the clutch in and returns when let out and eventually stops altogether after the bike has warmed up further. I thought, maybe wrongly, if it were the CCTs I’d hear it all the time.

Other things to mention, I noticed the air temperature is reading lower than it really is now (20C when it’s 25C for example), engine temp looks normal still. Bike has Micron silencers but that’s it.

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated and sorry for the long-winded description.

• Member Contributer

Hi m8.

Can't offer too much regards your clutch. Just wondering if the clutch push rod is sticking. Easy job to remove the slave cylinder to slide the rod out and lube it. Provided the slave cylinder is working correctly then you may need to inspect the clutch pack.

Assume your chain is good and properly tensioned, sprockets good?

If you are hearing a chattering noise around the cylinder heads then you most likley have a shot cct, common issue with a 6gen. A blip of the throttle and as it returns to idle generally brings the chatter back. Listen closely at the cylinder heads to determine whether its the front or rear cct that needs replacing.

Cheers.

If you pull the clutch slave to check the rod, it would be a great time to redo the seals on the slave. Cheap insurance that there is not a problem there and it only takes a few extra minutes.

Check that the pushrod for the clutch master is operating smoothly.

I remove the lever and remove, clean, and lube that plunger pivot in the lever.

Takes maybe 15 minutes total and will make a world of difference in how smooth the engagement is if yours is sticking

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Forgot to mention.....

Air Temp Sensor. Check the two wire connections at the back of the instrument panel for any poor connection or high resistance, this will upset the reading.

Refer to section 20 of the Service Manual, it states at 25degC it should measure 4.8 to 5.2 ohms.

On 11/5/2021 at 1:28 PM, Grum said:

Hi m8.

Can't offer too much regards your clutch. Just wondering if the clutch push rod is sticking. Easy job to remove the slave cylinder to slide the rod out and lube it. Provided the slave cylinder is working correctly then you may need to inspect the clutch pack.

Assume your chain is good and properly tensioned, sprockets good?

If you are hearing a chattering noise around the cylinder heads then you most likley have a shot cct, common issue with a 6gen. A blip of the throttle and as it returns to idle generally brings the chatter back. Listen closely at the cylinder heads to determine whether its the front or rear cct that needs replacing.

Cheers.

Thanks Grum (and others) for the reply. I am actually ordering new chain and sprockets this week (any recommendations for Australian online shops welcomed otherwise looks like I'll order from Star Cycles). It did have quite a bit of play in it so I tightened it up. I've had an overly loose chain slip before on the rear sprockets on one of my gen 5 VFRs and know the sound and sensation, similar but this feels clutchy for want of a better term so I reckon its time to have that apart either at home or I may have to put it in to a shop depending on if I can do the CCTs myself.

On that note, I'm looking at ordering these CCTs. Looks like they're suitable for my 2006 gen 6. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124940751972?epid=1515990914&hash=item1d170c9464:g:DzYAAOSwaeRZNrUH

Finding it hard to tell which one is making the noise if not both but maybe it feels like the front is louder which is the harder of the 2 to replace but there's some good guides out there so looks doable.

Archived