520 Chain Conversion

Ughandi

• Member Contributer

Howdy again!

In looking for a 520 kit for my 5th gen, I CANT FIND ANY (that claim to work with my 2000).

I suspect that the rear sprockets on the 6th gens should fit the 5th gens since the rear drive is basically identical...

Do the ancients in the VFRD forums agree with me? 

If you have performed your own 520 chain conversion on a 5th gen, please leave your assessment of your kit below! 

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer

I used Yamaha R1 Renthal lightweight steel front sprocket, they share the same drive shaft splines. 

I have a different rear setup, so can't help with that. 

• Member Contributer

FWIW, I just ordered a complete set of 520 DID chain, 17 tooth front sprocket, and 45 tooth rear sprocket from SprocketCenter. After 25,000 miles on the 530 DID chain, I

figured it's time for a new chain. And I'm curious how noticeable the conversion to 520 chain will be, if even noticeable at all.

And having a flat tire repaired.

• Member Contributer

Thank you for being patient with my internet illiteracy, everyone. My 520 is on the way now! 

• Member Contributer
17 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

Does the ratio change affect range to any significant degree?

Nope, at least not in the 10k miles I have been running it. YRMV

• Member Contributer

I run 16/45 & its brings the bike to life. People who say yeah but it increases rpm at cruising speed, they miss the point, if I want to be eco friendly I'll buy a Tesla or some other electric cage. In the twists & on track days or any fun road, it just increases the fun factor. 

7 hours ago, Mohawk said:

I run 16/45 & its brings the bike to life. People who say yeah but it increases rpm at cruising speed, they miss the point, if I want to be eco friendly I'll buy a Tesla or dome other electric cage. In the twists & on track days or any fun road, it just increases the fun factor. 

Preach it, brother! I keep trying to tell people this. They talk about gas mileage and speedometer inaccuracy. I'm like, "So fucking what?!"

• Member Contributer

Well, the fact of the matter is that to some people, the bike is more than just a big toy. They actually get used for useful stuff too. Not everyone considers their bike just another jetski to ride around, and around, and around, the lake.

• Member Contributer

All I have to say about this is...

easier wheelies !!! 

:cheerleader:

• Member Contributer
On 11/5/2021 at 8:00 PM, DannoXYZ said:

Which kit did you get?
Did you select -1/+2 sprockets for easier wheelies?

---
I got this DID X-ring 520 chain and some spare riveting master links:
---
image.png.0a341a5fe039ed0387bfa1d5d08f3b2b.png
----
...and these sprockets in factory gearing:
----
image.png.c89743ef6744b872f5d64fe3a9809083.png
image.png.21d82226679fbedbc9552ff82bc815d4.png
----
No sir. I prefer to wheelie the old fashioned way... with MORE POWAAAHHHH :wheel:
... and for those who want to be in the know... more power is WELL on its way...
Dropped off spare throttle bodies, boots, and (two) airbox(es) at my tuner for a good ol' re-radius, chamfer, sanding, and some other pixie magic.... should be good for something measurable when we retune ;D
---

On 11/6/2021 at 9:09 PM, FJ12Ryder said:

Well, the fact of the matter is that to some people, the bike is more than just a big toy. They actually get used for useful stuff too. Not everyone considers their bike just another jetski to ride around, and around, and around, the lake.

It can be both. Really, try it. Just drop a tooth in the front. Huge difference.

• Member Contributer

Once you're past about 30 mph, what difference will it make? That's why you have gears. Acceleration too slow, drop down a gear. But change the gearing that much and you make interstate riding more of a pain. And multi-hundred mile trips also more of a pain. I really like the versatility of the VFR, why cripple it?

4 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Once you're past about 30 mph, what difference will it make? That's why you have gears. Acceleration too slow, drop down a gear. But change the gearing that much and you make interstate riding more of a pain. And multi-hundred mile trips also more of a pain. I really like the versatility of the VFR, why cripple it?

Because it's overgeared AF. Mr. Honda agrees with me. He dropped a tooth in the front in the 6th Gen. 

People spend hundreds of dollars on exhausts and other performance mods that do almost nothing. Here's one that really makes a difference for $30 that takes an hour to install. Try it. If you don't like it, switch back.

• Member Contributer

Agree, i went -1+2 on a 520 setup on my 6g and its a noticeable difference.  Chain was due anyway so it was a necessary replacement item... sprocketcenter pricing was fair and shipping was reasonable to Canadia

• Member Contributer

How is mileage on the 520 in comparison? I get ~20k from a 530 street bike chain, but only ~5k from my 600 track bikes with the 520 conversion. 

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, bmart said:

How is mileage on the 520 in comparison? I get ~20k from a 530 street bike chain, but only ~5k from my 600 track bikes with the 520 conversion. 

Not really apples-to-apples comparison. Cruising down freeway, engine's only generating 18bhp to maintain speed. On track @ WOT, that 600's hitting chain with 120bhp!

Sprockets & chains has improved tremendously in past couple decades since these bikes were new. Metallurgy and lubrication technologies are so much better, modern 520 is probably way ahead of 530 stuff back then. I get 20K-miles from 520 set-up without any problems.

• Member Contributer

Yes and no...I ride my VFR like my track bike, and it is pulling a LOT more weight. My 600 only makes about 100HP and never sees redline either. I only mention it because I've owned a few that came with the stock 530 setup, and they lasted a LOT longer. I've not noticed much of a difference in acceleration from the chain itself but feel like it came from the sprocket change. 

Still...I just put a 45T 530 rear sprocket on the '00 VFR and a 520 chain/sprockets onteh track B-bike! lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 11/7/2021 at 1:09 AM, FJ12Ryder said:

Well my toy has been used for 104 mile round trip commutes, 2.5-3K mile Euro tours. And any other use I could think of. Where possible its my preferred means if transport. And its much more fun. 

Archived