Starts good but kills herself when i put a gear on

mormar

Hello guys, the bike starts nicely at neutral but instantly kill herself on any gear.

Cannot start with gear on sidestand on or off clutch in or out.
Seems to me some electrical issue.
Already checked sidestand and clutch sensors semms OK.
Any advice?

2000 VFR fi BTW

• Member Contributer

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding but you should not normally be able to run the bike with sidestand down and in gear on most bikes.  Hold clutch, put it in gear, put sidestand down and it should kill the engine.

Yep sidestand down and gear on is normal, but it act like this in every case. Can"t start engine with a gear ingaged in any case. Only case the engine starts and run is neutral

• Member Contributer

Does the bike crank over But will not start when in gear with the Sidestand Up and clutch pulled in?

If this is the case then you need to check that you have Ground on the Green/White wire at B21 of the ECM with the Sidestand UP.

If your bike does Not crank over with Sidestand Up and clutch pulled in then the Sidestand switch and/or clutch switch need checking.

Do you have the Service Manual? You can download it from this forum. Do you have a Multimeter and know how to use it?

• Member Contributer

Is the clutch mechanically free? A bike that sits for a long time can have the plates stuck together with cold oil, and that will stall the engine when you drop into gear. If so I would let the engine/oil warm up fully in neutral, then shut off and put the bike in gear, pull the clutch in and try to roll the bike back and forth until the plates free up. 

32 minutes ago, Grum said:

Does the bike crank over But will not start when in gear with the Sidestand Up and clutch pulled in?

If this is the case then you need to check that you have Ground on the Green/White wire at B21 of the ECM with the Sidestand UP.

If your bike does Not crank over with Sidestand Up and clutch pulled in then the Sidestand switch and/or clutch switch need checking.

Do you have the Service Manual? You can download it from this forum. Do you have a Multimeter and know how to use it?

The starter don't do a thing in any case, i can't only start the bike in neutral. It will instantly stall with a gear on.
I have the service manual and a multimeter, but i'm a noob at electrics 😞

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, mormar said:

Have you properly measured these switches?

Also check what Terry has mentioned.

• Member Contributer
49 minutes ago, mormar said:

The starter don't do a thing in any case, i can't only start the bike in neutral. It will instantly stall with a gear on.
I have the service manual and a multimeter, but i'm a noob at electrics 😞

If you are saying the Starter will not crank the engine over, unless you are in neutral?

The clutch switch or the Sidestand switch or wiring might be faulty.

You will need to check continuity of the Green/Red wire from the Starter Relay to Ground when the Sidestand is Up and the Clutch is pulled in.

Refer attached diagram.

FullSizeRender.jpg

If you are saying the Starter will not crank the engine over, unless you are in neutral?

Yes exactly, it is like the side stand is always out.

The clutch switch or the Sidestand switch or wiring might be faulty.

You will need to check continuity of the Green/Red wire from the Starter Relay to Ground when the Sidestand is Up and the Clutch is pulled in.

Refer attached diagram.

Have no clue how to do this TBH

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, mormar said:

If you have no clue, then best you take the information provided to either a friend who is electrically minded, or a good motorcycle repair agent.

Have a close look at the Sidestand Switch. Unplug the switch and probe the switch wires, set your meter to buzzer or low ohms range. Make sure you get the buzzer or continuity when you Raise the Sidestand.

Seriously mon ami - Don't mess with your bikes electrics if you are not confident with doing the checks already suggested...! 

• Member Contributer

yeah, don't mess with electrics if you're not familiar and comfortable with these troubleshooting pocedures. Things can actually get worse!

11 hours ago, mormar said:

Here's a simpler way to check. There are wires coming out of your sidestand switch. They go to a connector. Separate the connector. Take a separate piece of wire, strip both ends, and jam the ends into the connector on the bike. See if that fixes your problem. If it does you have a bad sidestand switch.  Then you can either replace the sidestand switch, or cut the wires going to the connector and wire them together. The former is preferable because if you do the "cut / wire together" trick the bike will think the sidestand is always down.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, JimMoore said:

Then you can either replace the sidestand switch, or cut the wires going to the connector and wire them together. The former is preferable because if you do the "cut / wire together" trick the bike will think the sidestand is always down.

Replace the switch.

Joining the wires together will = Sidestand Up.

• Member Contributer

Aftermarket clutch lever?  Some won't engage the switch correctly without mods or adjustments.  

6 hours ago, JimMoore said:

Here's a simpler way to check. There are wires coming out of your sidestand switch. They go to a connector. Separate the connector. Take a separate piece of wire, strip both ends, and jam the ends into the connector on the bike. See if that fixes your problem. If it does you have a bad sidestand switch.  Then you can either replace the sidestand switch, or cut the wires going to the connector and wire them together. The former is preferable because if you do the "cut / wire together" trick the bike will think the sidestand is always down.

Will try this 

I had a similar problem try adjusting the lever all the way out or in first.  If that does not work bleed the clutch is the fluid low?

• Member Contributer
On 11/3/2021 at 4:33 AM, mormar said:

I will ask again!

- How did you check these switches?

- And have you tried what Terry has suggested regards sticking clutch plates?

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, Grum said:

I will ask again! How did you check these switches?

Agreed. 

This:

"Already checked sidestand and clutch sensors semms OK."

And then later, this:

"I have the service manual and a multimeter, but i'm a noob at electrics"

Do not jive.

1 hour ago, Grum said:

I will ask again!

- How did you check these switches?

- And have you tried what Terry has suggested regards sticking clutch plates?

Just a look to see if they were not some rust or any damage but not checked the "electric" part.
Can't see how it would be the plates because the bike won't try to start with gear on and clutch pulled, but i'll give it a try to.

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, mormar said:

Just a look to see if they were not some rust or any damage but not checked the "electric" part.

No point in just looking at a switch!!

You MUST check it for operation!

• Member Contributer

Has the history EVER been addressed?

New bike to you?   Just started doing it one day?  Came out of storage?  Any recent changes?  Dug out of a hole?  Not yours, trying to steal?  Recovered from a flood?  Flew through a swarm of locusts or toads?

• Member Contributer

The bike starts in neutral, so when you put it in gear does it die instantly, or only when you let the clutch out? Also with the bike off, and in gear, can you push the bike when you pull in the clutch. If it's not the neutral, or clutch switch, it could be no pressure in the hydraulic clutch, or a locked brake caliper, or locked/damaged transmission. 

I would have a friend that is good with mechanicals look at the bike, or take it to a repair shop, if you cannot diagnose mechanicals or electrics.

Can you post up a 15 second video?

Archived