Gauging Wheel Bearing Health

j9ryan

I have only had my VFR for a while, not familiar with all the noises yet, but I suspect the front wheel bearings are making noise. Anything else that could confirm this? I try to do all my own maintenance.

• Member Contributer

There is only one way to know... get the wheel off and stick your finger in there and rotate the bearings back and forth.  If you feel any notchiness, then replace them.  IF they are nice and smooth, I'd leave them.  How many miles?

Noises can be many things.... is your tire cupped at all or sometimes the brand of tire can be noisy...... what do you have on there for a tire, and mileage?  Brake pads, are they worn down to nearly nothing and perhaps rubbing metal to metal on the rotors?  I had a rub once and it was the clip that holds the pads.

• Member Contributer

Most likely brake-pads making noise if you're hearing anything.

But, as mentioned, rotate wheel-bearings by hand to know for sure.

Wouldn't hurt to pop off seals and re-grease them while you're there anyway.

it depends alot on the mileage since things wear out with accumulated overall use, and all bearings have a natural life span,

wheel bearings might need replacement at certain mileages, something less than 40k for example or whatever.

steering head bearings (imo) almost always need replacement over 35-40k miles unless they were maintained according to service manual specifications and were regularly inspected and re-greased at specified intervals and slightly readjusted.

hey, i know nuttin.

001_1HIMeeeml.jpg.6a6cbfe4c93681f7dd29f32c831696a6.thumb.jpg.b6d06730edd7013e3b7cb34c0bc66287.jpg

Archived