RC36-1 RC36-2 Steering stem

Just want some reassurance that the upper clamp; stem and lower clamp are the same for a ‘92 as a ‘94-‘97.

Part numbers on Partsfish are the same save for the model designation 53200-MT4-000 for ‘92 & 53200-MZ7-000 for ‘94-‘97.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

The top triple/bridge is the same for all RC36, but the lower stem must have some difference which caused it to have a different part number for '94-'97.  I don't know what that difference was, but it could have been minor.  

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Obviously they are the same dimensionally, but a quick eBay search shows the frame stops are different, as well as the front mounts for hose routing.  Looks like a 90-93 might be modified for use on a 94-97, as the frame stops are taller, but I can't speak for their exact locations.

Thanks, will be able to say for definite in a few days as I’ve a ‘95 one coming in the post to hopefully replace a bent one on a ‘92 (see post in Suspension titled “is this fork bent?” … it is and so is the lower clamp).

Straight ‘90-‘93 stems not readily available but very many ‘94-‘98 are so have had to take a punt on one of those. Can probably easily get round hose mounting points but am now worried about the frame stops being too low….

Ok, ‘95 stem arrived this morning. All important dimensions are the same including the position and height of the lock stops, differences are the position of the bolts for the forks; they’re straight rather than angled and the lower clamp is not as “chunky” especially around the stem itself. Brake hose guide and horn mountings are in exactly the same plane, the boss they bolt to sits proud of the clamp rather than being tapped into it. Didn’t think to weigh it but feels lighter in the hand.

‘93 top, ‘95 bottom.

027EA7D1-5ACA-4CE5-812F-0EFEC57C0AAE.jpeg

• Member Contributer

It's a bunch of stuff like this that allowed the RC36-2 with a center stand to weigh 15 lbs lighter than the RC36-1 without one.

22 hours ago, jefferson said:

Boy I wish you had weighed them to see how much difference there is. Another way to take some of the heft off the 3rd gen.

Ha, so do I. It was only as was fitting the second fork leg that I thought I should’ve. Can only say it was noticeably lighter rather than imperceptibly.

• Member Contributer
On 11/9/2021 at 9:56 AM, Av8r said:

Ok, ‘95 stem arrived this morning. All important dimensions are the same including the position and height of the lock stops, differences are the position of the bolts for the forks; they’re straight rather than angled and the lower clamp is not as “chunky” especially around the stem itself. Brake hose guide and horn mountings are in exactly the same plane, the boss they bolt to sits proud of the clamp rather than being tapped into it. Didn’t think to weigh it but feels lighter in the hand.

‘93 top, ‘95 bottom.

027EA7D1-5ACA-4CE5-812F-0EFEC57C0AAE.jpeg

Sure appears to me that the stops on the 95 are closer to the front than the 93 and are angled slightly different.

• Member Contributer

The amount of meat in front of the stem is what is throwing you off I think. Look at with the reference of the stem instead of the front of the clamps.

1 hour ago, Captain 80s said:

Sure appears to me that the stops on the 95 are closer to the front than the 93 and are angled slightly different.

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, jefferson said:

The amount of meat in front of the stem is what is throwing you off I think. Look at with the reference of the stem instead of the front of the clamps.

Agreed, good point,  Glad it's working out.

You took the opportunity to install tapered bearings, right?

Yes tapered bearings.

As Jefferson has said though it looks like the stops are positioned differently they are in fact in exactly the same place relative to the stem and the same height, they are less “meaty” like the rest of the clamp but contact the frame in the same place as the original too.

The whole thing looks like it’s been on a diet, the casting is thinner as well as narrower. Here’s another picture. ‘93 left ‘95 right.

538BF04F-5998-4E6D-B212-EEE5DC9F941C.jpeg

• Member Contributer

They could have saved even more weight if they had taken metal out of the lugs for the bolts like the 3rd gen clamp. Question. Are the bolt the same diameter and length?

Archived